Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2015, 05:53 AM   #15

?

all i can say, i always let these guys in. He had his blinker on for awhile

you could have backed off and let him pass.

Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 06:12 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After watching the video, I have to agree completely with the others. You seem to have ignored his clear intent to move over (left turn signal on first trailer was on) and you should have been aware that his lane was going to end. It would have been very easy to just let off your throttle and give him room. IMO, your actions were not illegal but not very wise.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but that is my take on it. I always watch for the truckers and give them a break whenever I can.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:16 AM   #17

This is probably not the answer you want to hear. I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but if you had just knocked it off cruise control for just a minute, he could have made the lane change (since his was running out),and everyone would have been happy. He would have thanked you for giving him a break. He was pulling a double, and 80,000 lbs is not easy to stop, and definately harder to get back up to speed. Since he was traveling faster than you, as soon as you let him in, he would have continued to pull away. It's called give and take. You signaling him that he is clear, is a courtesy, not giving your permission.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:18 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Not to pile on but..... you did ask.

If you didn't see this coming than you probably upset a lot of drivers out there from time to time. I would consider turning off the dash cam. It may be used as evidence against you. What troubles me most is that you obviously think you are in the right.
When you saw the truck in your mirror you needed to make decision.
Speed up and let the trucker figure out how to get in behind you or be prepared to slow down and let the trucker in. Those are just the decisions that keep you in your current lane.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:21 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All could learn a lesson here, there's always two sides to a story.

We all need to give sometimes, even when we are in the right.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:22 AM   #20
KIX

Mad Truck Driver, What do you think?

What I think is that if you continue to drive as though you're entitled to the road it's going to "eat your lunch". You were going slower than other traffic yet felt entitled to the middle lane. The RIGHT LANE is for slower traffic.......that was YOU
Old 03-11-2015, 06:30 AM   #21

I'll agree withe the majority here--don't show that dash cam in court.

My observation early in the video was that you are having issues staying in your lane to start with.

Don't really understand why as soon as the truck got around you --you then move over a lane?? Why not have done that sooner?? Had you stayed behind the truck you would of never noticed he flipped you off. I think truck driver was upset that you moved over as soon as he got by ?

Just my 2 cents. Much easier to kick cruise off for one minute.

Russell
Old 03-11-2015, 06:37 AM   #22

That truck driver has been on this same route 8000 times. He knew the lane was ending and chose to push the other traffic out of his way. Trucks do not slow down for anything. Look at the massive weather related pileup featuring jack knifed trucks. I always keep an eye on the back of trucks because I know they are going to move in front of me before it is safe. Truck drivers have been out of control for the last few years. I never try to compete with them but they are ruining the "open" road.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:09 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with OP you should have either slowed down, changed lanes or sped up when you saw him coming up on your right. Don't be a bully. You never know who is the other driver.
A X-trucker,
Tim
Old 03-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
That truck driver has been on this same route 8000 times. He knew the lane was ending and chose to push the other traffic out of his way. Trucks do not slow down for anything. Look at the massive weather related pileup featuring jack knifed trucks. I always keep an eye on the back of trucks because I know they are going to move in front of me before it is safe. Truck drivers have been out of control for the last few years. I never try to compete with them but they are ruining the "open" road.
"Rant mode ON:"

I think you are making an assumption, that may or may not be correct. It also sounds as if you have a preconceived opinion of all truckers in general. In my experience, truckers are some of the most reliable vehicles on the road. You know what they are going to do. They do this for a living. Day in and day out, they are running the roads and have to get to their destination within a given time frame. If given the option, I would rather travel with the truck traffic over the norm
al 4 wheelers, who are generally to busy in conversation or talking on their cell phone to pay attention to the road. You will find absolute idiots, in any profession, but by and large, truck drivers are just trying to make a living and get home to their familys, just like you.

"Rant mode OFF"

Sorry for the Rant.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:36 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Not to but a quick lift, and a flash of the headlights would have made this a non-issue and also made a friend. It seems like you just wanted to hold your ground, I'm not sure why. If you didn't realize that he was going to come over on you, that is a much bigger problem.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:36 AM   #26

I am not trying to weigh in on the right or wrong of the OP but here is a poem my dad made me learn when I first got my drivers license; yes that was a long long time ago.

Here lies the body of Solomen Ray
Who died maintaining his right of way
Yes he was right as he sped along
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:02 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Looks to me like you were the problem.

EVERYONE was passing you.

Being the slowest vehicle you should have been in the far right lane. I see slow traffic not using the slowest lane all the time. This causes others to be passed on the right.

The truck was attempting to pass you on the right and the 4 lanes changed to 3 lanes, Looked like the reduction in lanes was on an UPHILL grade. Your were better able to maintain you cruise control speed than the truck. You should have moved over a lane to the left or slowed enough for the truck to merge.

Trucks do not have the luxury of instantly increasing there speed, to merge as, easily as a car or RV.

Am I the only one with this opinion????

I did like you dash cam video!

-Tom

Old 03-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
I agree with all the above posters, should of gave "right of way", I believe you knew the lane you were in would allow you access to I-5, this I am sure the Trucker knew.
Ray looking at your post information, I believe You are a Newbie, as I am.
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If so I am assuming you are new to driving such a large vehicle. It's my guess this is why you drive with cruise control on instead of travelling with the flow of traffic, and allowing yourself to cruise "at 60 MPH along side a Semi Truck and Trailers".

I thank you for the Post as it is of great value to all who read it. So many lessons for all of us to learn. I think one of the biggest is what most RV'ers say all the time, "I am living this lifestyle so I can Slow Down & Enjoy Life". Ray in the moment of a brief second that lifestyle could of ended in a disaster. And the Los Angeles News would be covering "A Horrific Traffic Accident on I-210. At that point it is no use pointing out who was right or wrong.

I will add what my DW commented on that I was not smart enough to think of. "Honey when we were driving cross country, so many times you allowed the other driver a courtesy. And how many times did that come back to you down the road by the same drivers!"...

I have travelled the length of the USA many times over the decades, just not in a RV. When we are gobbling miles, we are coming across the same drivers many times over. It is not like big city driving, where you may never see the same person again.
Closed Thread

Tags
driver