Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
"Made In America" fights back.

If you happen to be RVing in the Buffalo New York area and want to shop for items made totally (including packaging) made in America then your RV should be steered to Mark Andol's

Made In America
900 Maple Road
Elma NY, 14059
716-652-4892

https://www.saveourcountryfirst.com/

I know we will hit this place on the way through that part of New York state in the first part of June this summer. I would love to see a place like this be so successful that maybe it would force other companies to go back to buying quality instead of quantity.

Then again we would then have to educate people to understand the difference and accept a slightly higher price for a much higher quality.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #2

Thank you for your post.
I just received a stainless steel hitch ball that is made in USA from USA steel. It cost about $30 more than balls from other lands. Did I need to do that? No. Well...
Yes I did.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum

Then again we would then have to educate people to understand the difference and accept a slightly higher price for a much higher quality. :thumb:
[/LEFT
[/CENTER]

I wonder if USA citizens can afford the price of goods produced in the USA, even if they were available for purchase. There is more than a "slight" difference in pricing between goods imported from China, compared to a like item produced in the USA. If the average citizen were to buy only USA products, that citizen would be doing without a lot of things not only because of availability, but pricing as well. Just my humble opinion.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #4

It's funny talking about (made in America) when on this web site people are advocating going to Mexico for dental work and getting Mexican made crowns. Guess what business I'm in. I agree if we did not have free trade prices would sky rocket. My pet pee is for the consumer to know where there product is made (crowns) and let the patient decide.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWillRVToo View Post
Thank you for your post.
I just received a stainless steel hitch ball that is made in USA from USA steel. It cost about $30 more than balls from other lands. Did I need to do that? No. Well...
Yes I did.
5 years from now when you hook up your trailer or towed to that very same ball, and the guy 2 sites over who saved his 30 bucks by buying one made with mild china steel is on his fifth ball.. Stop and think about which cost more. 5 of his or one of yours.

Thanks for supporting the country that supports you.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #6

How many of you have Apple I-Pods?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #7

Heartland RV Club
Not me.....I have a good old HP, also made in China
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I wonder if USA citizens can afford the price of goods produced in the USA, even if they were available for purchase. There is more than a "slight" difference in pricing between goods imported from China, compared to a like item produced in the USA. If the average citizen were to buy only USA products, that citizen would be doing without a lot of things not only because of availability, but pricing as well. Just my humble opinion.
Actually if you think very clearly about this you would soon realize that we can no longer afford to buy imported junk. When we pay more for stuff made in the USA we support the people making the stuff and they can afford to buy stuff we make. Buying only imported stuff will eventually make us first in the race to the bottom and that's a winning feat we don't want. I bought at Delta Radial saw 30 some years ago and it finally crapped out a couple years back. I've had two replacements replaced under warranty since then and who benefits from that?
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Most "stuff" made today is "throw-a-way" TV's, furniture, tools, home furnishings, auto parts.....

Case in point my father loves "Harbor Freight" One weekend to go buy a new power tool, the next weekend to take it back because it failed.....

If I knew my new tt I'm buying was to be made in Mexico, I would never buy it.....period

Problem is, you just don't know what "Made in the USA". is anymore.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #10

Dodge Trucks come to mind. Made in Mexico
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alot of good things still made in this country but sadly you have to know where to look! But I do it and buy it as much as possible! But unfortunately somethings just aren't made here!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #12

I just bought a new 2012 Jeep Patriot and this is part of the window sticker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0103.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	18007  
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have some of those single-pouch StarKist tuna packs. Looked today when I made a sandwich... one is marked "Product of Thailand" and the other is "Product of Equador."

We just had a local broohah because some of the 'local pride' T-shirts are printed here but the original shirts are made overseas.

Even when it's "made" here it's hard to know where the source supplies come from...
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just because a product is made in the USA does not insure that it is a quality product. Manufacturers have had to skimp on materials and production quality in order to compete, or try to compete with like goods that are produced overseas, and in fact have had to use foreign made materials and components in some of their products. And it is not necessarily so that because a product is produced overseas that it is of inferior quality as compared to its USA produced counter part. Cheaper labor abroad is only a part of the reason the USA has lost market competitiveness.