Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2020, 04:59 PM   #57

In rural areas around here used worn out oil well drill pipe is often used for mounting mailboxes. Driving away after hitting one of these is a rare event.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2020, 05:04 PM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Our driveway intersects a county road at the bottom of a slight curve (we live in the great white north of the Great Lakes). We have replace the mailbox a couple of times a winter every winter in the 32 years we have lived here. We buy in quanity when they are on sale. In all that time, maybe a half dozen people have actually admitted to knocking it down. We normally find out when the mailman drives up to the house to deliver our mail. Comes with the territory of rural delivery. You / we have our mailboxes on the edge of an active street / road. Stuff happens.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:21 PM   #59

Worked for me

I made my mail box out of 1/8 in mild steel.
Looks like a standard rounded mailbox.
I mounted my mail box on a swivel.
Has been hit several times but no damage
GOODFUNGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #60

MailSwing

I had more fun watching kids and snowplows defeated after trying everything and then installing this unit. It’s so simple and works
Live in Florida now no need but for anyone frustrated try this. Hope they are still in business
www.mailswing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin1960 View Post
Over the last 6 years my mail box has been hit 6 times . 8 days ago it was hit the 4th time, I bought a new one and installed it and it was hit the next day . I temporarily fixed it with plans to move it back and to a different side of my driveway and last night it was hit again . At 12 minutes after 12 , My son came into my room and said he heard a noise, and moments later another noise that he described as a big truck running over something. We went out to the road and my mail box was laying right in the middle of the road , further up ( in the direction cars would travel on out side of road ) was a sign that was on the side of road ( Trucks entering highway) and it too was in the middle of road. What he heard on the second noise was a truck running over that sign. We got everything off the road. Where the mail box/ post was mounted is on the right side of my driveway as you head out to the road, also to the right is a ditch that runs along the side of the road which is 3ft deep , perhaps a little more. I found the driver side mirror in the ditch about 20 or so feet on up the ditch , then I realized the car that hit it was waaaay off the road as a matter of fact I could plainly see their right tire tracks in the bottom of the ditch and their left or drivers side tracks between the ditch and road. I am amazed that they were able to recover and get back on road. That initial drop of 3 plus feet right over my drain culvert running under my driveway into the ditch would be pretty bad so it seems. I got the mirror cover and looked up the part# which was still attached and it was a 2018-2918 Toyota Camry. So if any of you see newer White Camry running around without a driver side mirror maybe some scrapes along the drivers side , Stop and salute them for their stunt driving skills.
hforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:38 PM   #61

MailSwing. It defeated the plows and the bat swinging kids
www.mailswing.com
hforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:58 PM   #62

Where is that at???
Recalculatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:58 PM   #63

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Who did you piss off? Sounds like someone is trying to get revenge.
firstaidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #64

I put old well drill pipe 24 inches in the ground. Then got a standard size plastic garbage can cut hole in bottom and put in down on the pipe. Filled can with concrete then mounted mail box on pipe. One week later heard loud noise middle of the night. Went out side found 2 young boys looking at the front of thier new truck. Damage was a whole front assembly,, radiator, motor mounts, hood, grille and 2 front fenders also needed both front air bags replaced. One boy ask me what I had put in my garbage can I told I told him cotton balls and q-tips..Never saw them in my neighborhood again....
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #65

Hang two deer cameras each facing different direction and catch the culprit. Make sure they are hidden so they don’t get stolen or damaged. Just put up a very cheap mailbox in the meantime.
Chetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #66

My mail box got mowed down all the time by plow trucks or stupid bad drivers or vandalism made mine out of 6x6 X1/4 steel tube for post and arm with built in paper box under mail box sits on a 4" round post to allowing it to turn 360 so when the plow hits it it just spins around on the 4" post which has a base plate welded on it and is anchored with 3/4 j bolts Poured in concrete this one built to last if some on runs over it there will be damage to ther vehicle. I have had many made of wood got tired of repairs plus I it got galvanized to stop rust haven't had problum since. Ps I do work for a welding co.
Jm.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #67

I used to build and sell mailbox posts - they box itself was on a 5' long 2" iron pipe welded to a 2 1/2" pipe at 90 degrees. That mounted on a 2" pipe post set in the ground. The mailbox would pivot and swivel out of the way when struck (lived in Maine, snowplows need to "push-back"). None of my customers ever lost their mailbox.
Just a suggestion.
Bob '24 WInnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep toad.
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:42 PM   #68

Have you ever thought about getting a couple of really, really large boulders and putting them on either side of the mail box? I will cost a few bucks but when someone runs over them, it will cost them much more.
fotoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #69

Mailbox hit

We live on a country road and the first couple of mailboxes didn't last. Husband welded a mailbox together painted it green and then concreted it into the ground. One of the neighbors swung at it with a bat .....once. then another kid tried to run it down and totaled his truck . Still standing 25 years later.
Herrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #70

Take the law into your own hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin1960 View Post
Over the last 6 years my mail box has been hit 6 times . 8 days ago it was hit the 4th time, I bought a new one and installed it and it was hit the next day . I temporarily fixed it with plans to move it back and to a different side of my driveway and last night it was hit again . At 12 minutes after 12 , My son came into my room and said he heard a noise, and moments later another noise that he described as a big truck running over something. We went out to the road and my mail box was laying right in the middle of the road , further up ( in the direction cars would travel on out side of road ) was a sign that was on the side of road ( Trucks entering highway) and it too was in the middle of road. What he heard on the second noise was a truck running over that sign. We got everything off the road. Where the mail box/ post was mounted is on the right side of my driveway as you head out to the road, also to the right is a ditch that runs along the side of the road which is 3ft deep , perhaps a little more. I found the driver side mirror in the ditch about 20 or so feet on up the ditch , then I realized the car that hit it was waaaay off the road as a matter of fact I could plainly see their right tire tracks in the bottom of the ditch and their left or drivers side tracks between the ditch and road. I am amazed that they were able to recover and get back on road. That initial drop of 3 plus feet right over my drain culvert running under my driveway into the ditch would be pretty bad so it seems. I got the mirror cover and looked up the part# which was still attached and it was a 2018-2918 Toyota Camry. So if any of you see newer White Camry running around without a driver side mirror maybe some scrapes along the drivers side , Stop and salute them for their stunt driving skills.
We live in a rural area. We waited in our truck late at night for several nights. Finally it paid off. We gave them enough distance and followed these punks home. Several nights later we paid them a visit. Their car became severely damaged and totally inoperable.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote