Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2022, 04:40 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
Does removing the sap harm the tree?
Apparently not, I've seen the same trees tapped over and over again for a few decades. Now how much you can take, I don't know. Sugaring season is coming soon if it's not already here.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 06:18 AM   #44
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
Does removing the sap harm the tree?
Mot really as those trees are designated as syrup trees and have many years of production.

Most of those sugar maples can be several feet in circumference and many years old. The tap is less then a half inch in diameter and only takes a very small amount of the rising sap.

Here'sm interesting video - he sounds like a Vermonter by accent

IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 09:14 PM   #45

Damon Owners Club
We buy more maple syrup than sugar, more honey as well.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:25 AM   #46

This thread strikes a chord with me. I grew up on the 'maple flavored' brand name syrups, and the time or two I was served real maple syrup I didn't like it. I stayed that way until my late 50s! We even went through a phase where my wife and I liked homemade stuff made from sugar and Mapleine concentrate. But then someone sent us a bottle of gen-u-wine maple syrup (from Vermont) and I decided we needed to use it up.... and I liked it. Then we got a bottle of the good stuff produced in our old home state of Michigan, and I liked that one, too. So for the past half-dozen years I've been buying the stuff directly from the producers: Michigan Maple Farms north of Rudyard (I am partial to their blueberry-infused maple) and Harwood Gold near Charlevoix. I stock up on summer trips or, if necessary, order it shipped.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:44 PM   #47
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexlion View Post
This thread strikes a chord with me. I grew up on the 'maple flavored' brand name syrups, and the time or two I was served real maple syrup I didn't like it..................................

Maple syrup is not all the same. Last year I bought a jug of very dark amber that was from Quebec. It was so strong tasting that we dumped it down the drain. Back to either NY or Vermont. Spring is coming and a new batch will soon bee on the shelves in a couple months. Oh and being originally from Michigan have never knowingly had any of their syrup
Old 01-06-2023, 06:30 AM   #48

I grew up in Massachusetts and will always remember the day Mom took us to the Mt Toby sugar house. Hot maple syrup poured over shaved ice....
Too bad the place is no more.. https://swampfieldhistorical.org/items/show/22
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 06:34 AM   #49

In the "old days" there were A,B,C grade syrup C was for cooking that would be the dark amber You want Grade A Fancy or light
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 12:21 PM   #50

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Carriage View Post
In the "old days" there were A,B,C grade syrup C was for cooking that would be the dark amber You want Grade A Fancy or light
I beg to differ on the preference...I'll take the richer flavor of Dark Amber any day.
Rhody_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:36 PM   #51

Back when I worked in a sugar bush what we called 'Dark Syrup" was drawn off the very bottom of the evaporator after boiling the sap for several days. This stuff was about the consistency of tar but when mixed with lighter syrup it loosened up enough so it would pour out of the cans we put it in. This was back in the very early 60's when all the boilers were in the woods. They were all wood fired and made from cast iron. Nothing like the new gas or electric stainless steel evaporators they use today with the reverse Osmosis and other high tech equipment.
Making maple syrup used to be a money maker for a farmer with a wood lot who was trying to make a little extra money when there were no crops to tend to. Working in a sugar bush I stayed all night tending to the fire and adding sap to the boiler in a wooden building full of holes with an alarm clock set for two hours at a time so I could tend to the fire, add sap and stir the syrup as it was boiling. All this while using a couple kerosene lamps made before the turn of the century. The farmer would show up at 6 AM so I could go home, clean up and head out for school. I made a whopping 50 cents per hour. The farmer used to tell me he paid me too much because I slept half the time while I was there. Funny no one was beating the door down trying to get my job away from me. I used to tell him he should pay me double for chasing off the occasional mouse or rat who came into the shanty to get warm. They were a real hoot when they would jump off a beam into the vat of boiling syrup.
Old 01-07-2023, 02:45 PM   #52
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody_Chris View Post
I beg to differ on the preference...I'll take the richer flavor of Dark Amber any day.

My usual choice as well - Grade A Dark Amber. That is unless it tasted as bad as I noted above but that was "imported" stuff from Quebec
Old 01-08-2023, 01:17 PM   #53

You can get real maple syrup on Pecan Pancakes at the Cracker Barrel.

It's hard to beat.

But I'm a type II diabetic and the maple syrup's just a little too sweet for my diet. Drives my blood sugar out of sight.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:29 PM   #54
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
You can get real maple syrup on Pecan Pancakes at the Cracker Barrel.

The last time I had pancakes at Cracker Barrel, the syrup was diluted with other sweetener/filler - but it was no longer 100% maple syrup and why I stopped ordering their pancakes (which I REALLY liked).
Old 01-08-2023, 06:10 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
... the occasional mouse or rat who came into the shanty to get warm. They were a real hoot when they would jump off a beam into the vat of boiling syrup.
Yum, extra flavor and some added protein to boot! I may never look at maple syrup the same way again...

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 04:08 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexlion View Post
Yum, extra flavor and some added protein to boot! I may never look at maple syrup the same way again...
You wouldn't have to be concerned about this today. The sugar houses are more like a laboratory now with concrete floors, sealed up walls, good lighting, gas or electric heat, power venting, stainless steel equipment and all the rules and regulations which must be adhered to and inspections often to be sure the rules and regulations are being followed.
The buildings, if you want to call them that, were a whole different world 60 years ago.
Even the sap gathering techniques are entirely different. Where we used to have to dump sap out of buckets hanging on a tree into a large tank on a sleigh you will see thousands of feet of plastic piping strung around the woods running into a covered tank waiting to be pumped out when it begins to get full. The sap is then transported to the boiler room or a larger storage tank waiting it's turn to get boiled down into syrup.