Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2005, 09:30 AM   #1

Had a problem with the Universal Coupler Lock on our keyed alike lock set.
It was just over the one year Canadian Tire in store warranty (from where it was purchsed) and their store manager in Fort Erie was NOT of much help at all, even though the product came with a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
I called C.T.C. (Canadian Tire Corp) head office and they very quickly offered me Master Lock's 1-800 phone number in Canada. They told me they would stand behind the product's warranty if I had any problems with Master Lock.

To make a long story short, I called Master Lock Canada and they replaced the entire kit (set of three locks) and mailed it to my front door from their USA office (without the broker fees or customs charges or mail surcharges usually found on cross border dealings).

It is rare these days when I get treated like a customer should be, so I thought I would post my story.

Mike.

PS: Now if only Fort Erie City Hall and the Region of Niagara would stop using my sub basement AGAIN as a holding tank for their lack of sewer pumping station upgrades in the face of all the new construction, I would be a much happier camper actually camping rather than being at home to let in the contractors AGAIN!
So far, State Farm is also on my side again.
6MISFITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2005, 09:30 AM   #2

Had a problem with the Universal Coupler Lock on our keyed alike lock set.
It was just over the one year Canadian Tire in store warranty (from where it was purchsed) and their store manager in Fort Erie was NOT of much help at all, even though the product came with a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
I called C.T.C. (Canadian Tire Corp) head office and they very quickly offered me Master Lock's 1-800 phone number in Canada. They told me they would stand behind the product's warranty if I had any problems with Master Lock.

To make a long story short, I called Master Lock Canada and they replaced the entire kit (set of three locks) and mailed it to my front door from their USA office (without the broker fees or customs charges or mail surcharges usually found on cross border dealings).

It is rare these days when I get treated like a customer should be, so I thought I would post my story.

Mike.

PS: Now if only Fort Erie City Hall and the Region of Niagara would stop using my sub basement AGAIN as a holding tank for their lack of sewer pumping station upgrades in the face of all the new construction, I would be a much happier camper actually camping rather than being at home to let in the contractors AGAIN!
So far, State Farm is also on my side again.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:40 AM   #3

Good story Mike. Nice to know some companies still see us as valued customers.
Re: P.S. Yuk!!!

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:20 AM   #4

So far, State Farm and Service Master have been great to deal with on the YUK issue but the contents repalacement issue is next.

It could have been worse, as there are some houses in a subdivision about 1 mile up the road from here that have had 4 floods in 4 years, so we are averaging 50% - not that that is an acceptable number to begin with.

Had a great Father's Day, so that helped to put things in perspective.

Mike.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:35 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Had a problem with the Universal Coupler Lock on our keyed alike lock set. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mike,
what problem did you have?
I picked up my new trailer a month or so ago, and the first time i opened up the regular 'key' lock on the front door (not the deadbolt one, which is keyed the same) the whole barrell tumbler comes out with the key!
I shoved it back into the lock and wiggle the key and now just the key came out. But since then i haven't been able to replicate the problem, although I haven't used the trailer a whole lot. I can just imagine camping somewhere in the boonies and the barrell lock comes out and drops somewhere we can't find it and we're locked out. But then again, I haven't been able to get it to happen again. And the key does lock and unlock the door.

I suppose I'll warranty the problem, unless there is a sure fire way to make sure the barrell is permanently in the lock.
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:57 PM   #6

Congrats on the new rig FatDog!

My lock problem was with a Master Lock Set of three keyed alike locks. These are to protect the trailer from easy theft and were not part of the trailer itself. One goes into the nose of the trailer, one into the trailer's lock coupler and one to lock the hitch draw bar into your tow vehicle's platform hitch.

My problem was with the lock that secured the trailer's nose and Master Lock (Canada and Usa) stood behind their guarantee, sending a new 3 piece lock kit one right to my door.

As for your trailer door lock cylinder backing out of the door, I would mention it to the dealer for repair when you need to winterize for this year OR EARLIER should it present any more problems. Being locked out of your trailer through NO fault of your own, would not be funny!

Mike.