Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2017, 11:57 PM   #1

Medical Care on the road

Hi,

I am disabled and on medicare. I dont have any supplimental plan to cover my 20% because those plans are actually more expensive than just paying the 20% in many cases.

Since i am thinking about taking the long rv trip all over the US which could take a year, i was wondering if anyone can help me with inforamtion on my options about medical care or a doctor visit should i need one on the road.

Do i just find a doctor and schedule it whever i am and then after i go to the appointment i can continue my trip or how does that work.

Thanks
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2017, 12:35 AM   #2

Dave,

I am not disabled,but do take many prescription medicine mostly for old people's stuff-diabetes-blood pressure-arrhythmia and on and on. I can go to a local doctor and get my prescriptions for a year at a time. Then,I go to a lab service, like Labcorp, and get blood work done. The results are sent to the doctor that requested the tests and wrote the prescription. We have been fulltime for six years and it has worked. Just a pain to have get the tests.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:09 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
If you have a motorhome, I wouldn’t leave home without becoming a member of FMCA if you aren't already.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #4

@halfwrite - yeah i spoke to my pharmacy today and they said i can pick them up at any store nationwide. Im waiting to hear back from my doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinthebus View Post
If you have a motorhome, I wouldn’t leave home without becoming a member of FMCA if you aren't already.
No its a 5th wheel..
Old 05-11-2017, 07:20 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by durangod View Post
@halfwrite - yeah i spoke to my pharmacy today and they said i can pick them up at any store nationwide. Im waiting to hear back from my doctor.

No its a 5th wheel..
This summer there is talk about changing their charter to allow all RVS to join. They have a fantastic medical assist plan that really works.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #6

Another thing to look at is Sky Med...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Another thing to look at is Sky Med...
X 2 on Sky Med. Later RJD
acinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:17 PM   #8

Good grief I'm tired. I thought your title read Medieval.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
Good grief I'm tired. I thought your title read Medieval.
Wow i never noticed the typo... thanks ill get that fixed
Old 07-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dave View Post
Hi,

I am disabled and on medicare. I dont have any supplimental plan to cover my 20% because those plans are actually more expensive than just paying the 20% in many cases.

Since i am thinking about taking the long rv trip all over the US which could take a year, i was wondering if anyone can help me with inforamtion on my options about medical care or a doctor visit should i need one on the road.

Do i just find a doctor and schedule it whever i am and then after i go to the appointment i can continue my trip or how does that work.

Thanks

You can go to any urgent care facility throughout the nation to see a doctor if needed. Prescriptions can be obtained there if needed. If you are on maintenance medications, you can get refills at any Wal-Mart pharmacy nationwide if you are already a pharmacy customer of theirs.
SteveW123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Dave, I think you are really rolling the dice on not having the Medicare supplement insurance! You never know when you will need extensive medical care, surgeries, etc., and you're gonna be in a world of hurt having to pay the 20%!

My wife has had eight neck and back surgeries in the last five years, plus numerous nerve blocks between the surgeries. We have the Plan F supplement on her, which pays everything that Medicare doesn't. I shudder to think what we would have had to pay without the supplement!

I have the Plan G, which has a yearly deductible, but with the lower monthly rates I'm still saving over $400 per year over the Plan F. She can't change because of all her surgeries!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:17 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You can go to any walk in clinic (be sure they accept Medicare) and they will provide treatment and file your claim.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:13 PM   #13

My wife is like so.many disabled people that are on Medicare--on controlled substances (medicines.). She is required to go to her physician monthly and no prescriptions can be postdated.

She is carefully managed by a great pain management clinic. We have to be very careful scheduling her appointments when going on trips, but she will never be able to be fulltimer without going home monthly.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:26 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since on straight Medicare, and not a Medicare Advantage program, you can go to any doctor anywhere, anytime - just make and appointment or use a walk-in clinic. Just be sure they accept Medicare assignment, which nearly all do. This ensures they will accept the reimbursement that Medicare will pay.

As for going without a Medigap coverage to pay the 20%, that's rolling the dice. For my wife we pay $137/month for a G plan plus $183 annual deductable.

As you know, without a part D plan you have no prescription coverage. For my wife we pay $22/month plus zero to a few dollars copay per prescription fill. The plan works with Walgreens, which are located nationwide. Without a part D plan, Walmart is likely your lowest cost self pay option.

No dental coverage in Medicare. Consider going to Mexico to get lower cost services, across the border from Yuma AZ for example.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote