Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #15

One thing not mentioned in this thread is the portability of Medicare plans. Basic Medicare (Parts A and B) is portable anywhere in the US. Medicare Supplement plans (Medigap) are also portable across America. But Medicare Advantage plans are typically limited to the state of domicile (but not always - you need to check). Probably not important to the OP's mother-in-law, but for RVers in general a very important consideration.

Note too the Medigap plan F (and some others) has a travel benefit. So if you fall ill up in Canada or down in Mexico, the plan will pay (80%) for your stabilization treatment and then for your medical evacuation back to the US.
DMR6124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2017, 10:07 PM   #16

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMR6124 View Post
One thing not mentioned in this thread is the portability of Medicare plans. Basic Medicare (Parts A and B) is portable anywhere in the US. Medicare Supplement plans (Medigap) are also portable across America. But Medicare Advantage plans are typically limited to the state of domicile (but not always - you need to check). Probably not important to the OP's mother-in-law, but for RVers in general a very important consideration.

Note too the Medigap plan F (and some others) has a travel benefit. So if you fall ill up in Canada or down in Mexico, the plan will pay (80%) for your stabilization treatment and then for your medical evacuation back to the US.
My Medicare Advantage here in Ohio is like an HMO so I have limited number of doctors in a 7 county area for normal care.

BUT I have used my plan "out of network" for Emergency service with I think less than $50 out of pocket for ER, overnight in the hospital and some RX.

I note some Tv ads making the selection of Medicare seem like the most difficult decision in your life. It isn't that hard.

If you are not a full time RVr you can review the materials,

See if your doctors are listed if that is important. See which hospitals are covered, See which Rx are covered at what price. Depending on where you live you may have 3 or 4 plans to choose from.
This decision only lasts for one year as every Jan plans and coverage can change so if you don't like the plan you select something different next year.

Medigap may be better for your situation but Advantage has worked for me for 7 years covering most of 4 hospital stays, 3 ER visits, two heart operations (stents) one home accident (EMT, and ambulance ride to ER) and a fist full of meds for BP & Cholerestol at less than $10 a month total.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #17

The dominant hospital chain north of me refuses to accept any Medicare Advantage patients.

Since they purchased so many physician practices in parts of 6-7 states, such patients at over 1700 doctors and nurses practitioners have had to change hospitals and doctors.

Thankfully my Medicare comes through my employer and we just have regular Medicare and medicines al a cart.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:42 PM   #18

If you are a kidney patient and on dialysis your plan is the last plan you will get to use ,Referred to as ESRD' any patient in this group has no choice but to continue on the plan they are using. No other Medicare supplement will accept you if you are ESRD so pick a good one early on. ESRD is End Stage Renal Disease.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #19

Not directly to the OP. I saw a report yesterday on Rx coverage. If you have a co-pay for your meds. It is worth the effort to ask what the charge is if you DON'T use your insurance, especially for generics. Apparently, it is fairly common for the co-pay amount to be MORE than what you can just buy the meds for. The pharmacist is prevented, by contract, from offering you that advice. If you ask, they are free to tell you.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
Not directly to the OP. I saw a report yesterday on Rx coverage. If you have a co-pay for your meds. It is worth the effort to ask what the charge is if you DON'T use your insurance, especially for generics. Apparently, it is fairly common for the co-pay amount to be MORE than what you can just buy the meds for. The pharmacist is prevented, by contract, from offering you that advice. If you ask, they are free to tell you.
We saw that same report. And the difference sometimes, on some meds is staggering.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Her income is social security disability of aprox $1900/month.

Is this common in most states? I am only getting 843 here in Oklahoma.
Why on earth such a difference between states?
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Will you also get a suggestion to buy some supplemental policy the agent might just happen to offer?

Different areas of different states have different options. The is no "one size fits all" as we have a market based health care system where companies stand to make a profit off people being sick.

Also plans change every year. Never heard of a plan that never changed.

When it came time for me to go on Medicare I attended a few different "information" settings offered by different providers.

I selected a Medicare Advantage program. They offer different levels of coverage and different co-pay levels. One program has $0 monthly cost but higher co-pay. Another plan has a monthly fee and lower co-pay.

Making a selection takes some effort and you need to learn and educate yourself.

This is the "advantage" of not having country wide "single payer" health care system.

How do you find an independent agent?
Ms B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post

Social security and disability isn’t state by state it’s federal and based in your lifetime income averages . The 1900 is based on someone who made more income quite simply
Old 10-24-2017, 10:20 PM   #24

DW and I went to a free seminar titled "Understanding Medicare: The A, B, C, & D's" today. It was put on by a member of the American Financial Education Alliance (AFEA). It was actually pretty good, learned a lot and realized there is a lot more to learn before making a decision. Apparently the seminar is a canned deal and is delivered by different people all over the country. Go to www.myafea.org for more info. Attending the seminar qualifies you for a free consultation with the presenter, however the presenter cannot contact you unless you specifically request the followup.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:04 AM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMR6124 View Post

Not Medicare, but an important travel benefit for RVers comes with membership in FMCA. They will pay to return you, your spouse, your RV and pets to your home city.

A dear friend had 3 heart attacks in Florida last winter. FMCA arranged and paid for a medical Lear Jet flight for him and wife and paid to have their RV driven home with the dogs.

I also hear that travel trailer and fifth wheel owners can join FMCA now. I joined ASAP after I heard about this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post

The way I understand it - it is based on an average of your salaries over the years. Those of us that have been working longer get cheated compared to someone who has only worked for the last 10 years when salaries have been higher. I started working in 1969 making $80/week. That was decent money back then, but inflation has changed salaries over the years.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I live in MI and am 64 so looking at the Medicare choices right now.

I was directed to call the local Senior Center and set up an appointment with a person who would run me through the system and options.

I did so and she made my choices very clear for me. I have a Union provided supplemental. It does not apply to my husband. If you have straight Medicare, you DEFINITELY need a supplemental.

Advantage programs. I did not know it could be limited to our state only. That would not work for us. She also needs prescription coverage so go talk to someone, it was free and they have no affiliation with the insurance companies so you just get the facts.

Good Luck!
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:52 PM   #28

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Not Medicare, but an important travel benefit for RVers comes with membership in FMCA. They will pay to return you, your spouse, your RV and pets to your home city.

A dear friend had 3 heart attacks in Florida last winter. FMCA arranged and paid for a medical Lear Jet flight for him and wife and paid to have their RV driven home with the dogs.

I also hear that travel trailer and fifth wheel owners can join FMCA now. I joined ASAP after I heard about this.
I don't think that FMCA is currently accepting NEW members that do not own a MH. They are however in the process of reviewing their membership requirements and that might change in next few months.