Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Just found out today that WA is considering a $1.17 per GALLON tax on gasoline, maybe diesel too. At that price I can quit working and come out ahead since no commute to a minimum age job!
Well, Geez Whiz! The inmates are running the asylum in Olympia!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
Please read my second link regarding "fixing our roads". Mdot has it covered on their web site about big rig weight limits. If you believe their explanation. I'm a sceptic.

"Skeptical" only touches on my thoughts. I found and read the section I think you're talking about. Part of it, regarding registration fees based on weight, is complete BS. I've never heard of registration fees high enough to approach the level of damage created by one of these bigger trucks. It would run into the hundreds of thousands? That's my point, they aren't paying their way. I'm thinking of a "Flowboy" used by asphalt crews? Roads in the areas of the plants those things frequent are ALWAYS torn up big time. That's just one type. I'm sure there are many others, like maybe steel haulers, that might be part of the issue as well.

Regarding any study sponsored by the state on the topic, written by a state employee? I'm in Florida and I can smell that from here....
Old 11-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Saw and commented the article on WXYZ dot com this morning.

Bill still has to pass the house so its not law yet.

The above is an observation/fact.

My comments would be political so they are hereby withheld.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrtrcr View Post
Pennsylvania raised gas taxes by 10 cents on January 1, 2014. That moved the rate to ~59 cents per gallon. Fifth highest in the country. On January 1, 2015 it goes up another 10 cents and on January 1, 2017 it goes up by another 8 cents. Additionally vehicle registrations went up by 50%. You should feel good about 25cents!

Vehicle registration did not increase. Vehicle registration is $3 per month or $36 per year. This fee is for any vehicle - whether it is a BMW, MBZ or Ford.

Motorhome registration increased from $6.75 per month ($81/yr) to $9.67 per month ($116/yr).
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I live in Michigan and have three years left to work and I am out of here. Don't know that it is much better anywhere else but the roads here are bad in many places and bridges are often driven around. So who pays for the damage to our cars when we fall in a pothole big enough you bottom out?

I travel quite a bit to Texas and North Carolina, Lousiana. You can tell when you leave Michigan and drive back into it.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
California just passed a bill to tax you for every mile driven. Pilot program supposed to start in 2018.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Does this mean that the tax per gallon would be removed?
Are you serious? They just raised the per gallon tax $.035 and we are going to take another hit i January of close to $1.00 per gallon, it just never ends..
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Saw and commented the article on WXYZ dot com this morning.

Bill still has to pass the house so its not law yet.

The above is an observation/fact.

My comments would be political so they are hereby withheld.
Trust me it will pass the house. They have no other way to pay for their first mistake of not repairing the roads from the last tax increase. The voters do have the option to increase the already rediculus 6% general tax to 7% if they want to opt out of the 4 year gas tax plane. How generous. Guess I will fill the RV up in Indiana as I come home after trips.Ok I'm done venting. Michigan will be loosing another resident however when I retire. Thanks everyone for your posts.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:27 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Michigan will be loosing two more here. We have had enough too! This info on the MI tax hike for roads was in the Lansing paper yesterday. Last year gas was down prior to Christmas to entice people to buy more Christmas gifts. After Christmas it went up and stayed there.

They keep saying that the country / economy is recovering, but I don't believe too many people buy into that, I don't. I am not spending anything I don't have to.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Trust me it will pass the house. They have no other way to pay for their first mistake of not repairing the roads from the last tax increase. The voters do have the option to increase the already rediculus 6% general tax to 7% if they want to opt out of the 4 year gas tax plane. How generous. Guess I will fill the RV up in Indiana as I come home after trips.Ok I'm done venting. Michigan will be loosing another resident however when I retire. Thanks everyone for your posts.

I am sure you are right on that.. Alas, could have been different but... Well, again I'm straying close to politics so I'll end it here.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many things that could be done to improve things.. For example, if I take my car in for repair and they issue an estimate, then they can be held to it in many cases.

When a job is bid in the private sector, often the bidder is held to the bid, and has to eat overruns.

If the state did this (hold them to the bid amount) it might help.

Second: They do not "Guarantee" or "Warrant" roads, so if the construciton company uses cut-rate proudcts, cuts the specifications a bit, They are not normally "on the hook" for repairs (there have been a few exceptions)

Finally there have been studies (one involved a length of I-75 in Detroit) that studied improved road standards,, Kind of half way between US standard and Autobon standard.. Improved standard roads cost less in the long run (But more up front).

There are many areas for improvement.. .. And of course there is the whole issue of outsourcing where you hire a private company to do a job thus adding layers of non-productive but still paid to shuffle papers management to the cost.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I am sure you are right on that.. Alas, could have been different but... Well, again I'm straying close to politics so I'll end it here.
I understand what your saying. The main reason I posted the news was because it will impact the RV community and tourism. However, we do need our roads and infrastructure repaired and updated. I just wish the state and federal government would take these matters into account better during their budget planing so we do not suffer down the road (pun intended). Nuff said.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Make that 2 more when DW retires!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #27

Well now Y'all know what our second reason for moving out of Michigan. First was we were very very tired of the cold and snow. 25 years of driving a Tow Truck/Wrecker, we had enough. Now we just get a lit of the cold and very very little snow. The last time i noticed here in NC we're paying somewhere around 46 to 53 cents tax on gas/fuel, But the Roads are the best ever. I've seen them tear up a road to repave it when it was just starting to show some ware. None the less, when ever we go back to see family and friends, we always top off either in Ohio or Indiana. If we buy any gas in Mich, it's for the toad. Thank You for letting me voice my opinion.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Too bad polititians are elected. Someone told me they figured the person who would get elected was the person who had the flashiest bumper sticker.

Polititians are the only folks who are not held accountable for their mistakes (other than creating the flashiest bumper stickers) and are able to make us pay for their screw ups.

Tags
gas