Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2016, 06:13 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Morning coffee

Many years ago when I first started camping I would brew coffee over the open fire in a percolator style pot. Lurking as I do here a lot on IRV2 I see that many still enjoy coffee heating with gas stoves, microwave, electric and so on. When I take the MH out on a voyage I find myself building the morning fire so I can brew my coffee the why I did way back when. Love the smell of a fresh pot brewing along side the bacon and flap jacks. Does anyone besides me still do it this way?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 06:48 AM   #2

Nope, I can't wait that long. Sorry, we still use a Auto-Drip that is set up the night before and whoever gets up first just has to hit the power switch and 5 minutes later it's done!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:55 AM   #3

On a wilderness hunting trip without the RV, but not with creature comforts.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
Many years ago when I first started camping I would brew coffee over the open fire in a percolator style pot. Lurking as I do here a lot on IRV2 I see that many still enjoy coffee heating with gas stoves, microwave, electric and so on. When I take the MH out on a voyage I find myself building the morning fire so I can brew my coffee the why I did way back when. Love the smell of a fresh pot brewing along side the bacon and flap jacks. Does anyone besides me still do it this way?
That's the best way for sure. We brew it in the old percolator, but on the gas stove (as close to "real fire" as possible). We do it at home like that too, but than again,.....we cook (daily) in the cast iron pots and pans (antique), and cook stews in the back yard (VERY LARGE back yard) over the open fire in the cast iron cauldron, when we feel like it.
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:04 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorgan6375 View Post
Nope, I can't wait that long. Sorry, we still use a Auto-Drip that is set up the night before and whoever gets up first just has to hit the power switch and 5 minutes later it's done!
Nothing to be sorry about, On rainy days I revert to the magic button.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
That's the best way for sure. We brew it in the old percolator, but on the gas stove (as close to "real fire" as possible). We do it at home like that too, but than again,.....we cook (daily) in the cast iron pots and pans (antique), and cook stews in the back yard (VERY LARGE back yard) over the open fire in the cast iron cauldron, when we feel like it.
Nothing but the cast Iron Pans
Old 02-22-2016, 07:14 AM   #7

Lifemember, we too have become simpler in the years. But still perk our coffee in a electric percolator, I love to hear the sound of it in the morning! My mother still does this at 84.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think Walmart would like me building a fire in their parking lot.

Actually, I prefer drip coffee so that old fashioned way doesn't work for me.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When boondocking I use an old Corning Ware stove top peculator because running the generator seems like a waste just for coffee. It does seem to take a long time from waiting for it to start to perk, lower the heat and then to perk about 8 minutes. Wife doesn't care for it because it's too strong for her but she can water it down with water and half/half.

When on shore power or if I'm running the gen anyways, I use the Keurig. The DW and I don't have the same taste in coffee so it's the about the best for both. Also if guests are with us we have a variety of flavors/brands with your choice of strengths.

I am always aware when using the Corning Ware that there was a recall for the pot coming loose from the handle due to a glue issue. Ebay will not allow sales of the pots as a coffee pot, you can buy internal parts or a pot only as a holder for utensils.
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:42 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
I don't think Walmart would like me building a fire in their parking lot. .
That would be understandable I tend to favor the COE campgrounds with my 50% off pass.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The old fashioned way is too slow. Besides if I build a fire just to make coffee then I'd have to wait for it to go out, or pour water on it before starting my day. We use a Keurig brewer. Everyone gets the exact type of coffee they want, and ours brews a cup in less then a minute. Plus there's no pot to clean afterwards.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I am the only one who drinks coffee so how it taste is never an issue. too strong , not to strong. I try not to complain to myself.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll take coffee in any way it's made. I have a continuous cup in my hands all day long. I love coffee just plain black. If I could smell coffee brewing on a open fire you'd have company. I have a cup collection from around the world that people have giving me. On the down side, I don't sleep well.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coffee is better made with a percolator, fire, stove, or electric. We have two Keurig one in S&B one on MH. Only use an electric percolator in both. In MH run it off inverter in the morning before quiet time is over.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote