Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2018, 09:05 AM   #1

Motel frequent use discounts?

What would be the best value motel to stay at let's say every 3rd night?

This would be about 60 nights a year we will be home spring and fall - and on the road summer north US and winter south US.
JohnJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #2

Why? You have a RV so why would you want to stay in a motel every 3 nights? A decent motel would cost more per night than a full hookup RV site. Plus you'd have to haul your stuff into the motel and sleep in a bed used by hundreds and if you're trying to do it cheaply...... ??
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'll stay two nights in different parking lots when in transit. Third night we've arrived at our destination or find a full service hookup to dump and fill the water tank if necessary. No need for a motel/hotel if you have a self contained RV.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't understand why after spending $$$ on a RV would you be looking for budget hotels????
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Tell us more about the reason you need to do this and maybe we can provide better suggestions. Many chains provide rewards programs and the online booking sites have there own rewards programs. I will sleep on the side of the road in my camper before I stay in a motel.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What's a "motel"?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:50 PM   #7

Like everyone else I don't know why you want to go to a hotel, you have a mobile hotel room.
That being said, when I travel on my motorcycle I like to look up Holiday Inn Expresses. Most are under 100.00 dollars a night, all have been clean, and only a couple have been in sketchy areas. There is also a washing machine and dryer there somewhere, usually on the 3rd floor. They also let me park my bike under the awning for better security. Many also share a parking lot with Cracker Barrel restaurants.

But again I am still at a loss for why you would want to use one unless your motorhome is less than comfortable to sleep in or stay in.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:05 AM   #8

I sure can't give you motel deals
and I am happy I can't answer this question

do internet google search if you want to find motel deals
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:26 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
a lot of the roadside rest stops will have these little magazine/advertisers that list motel deals. There are limitations on when and how long. When ever fuel prices jump like they have now, it is often cheaper for us to stay in a motel than to rent an rv space. yes, it is a bit of a hassle unloading and loading stuff, but the bathtub, a long hot shower and a free breakfast are always a nice break. We have found that when making a reservation at a cheap motel it is often easier to get a full refund if we have to cancel too. example, rv park in Hemet ca. $70 per night. Airbnb $50 per night. Local motel $55 per night with free breaky...... We actually avoid rv parks as much as possible. i suspect that they the rv parks have raised their prices because of the huge energy costs for the larger rigs. I've also noticed that a lot of the rv parks are no longer accepting older rigs, children under 55 and no longer have tent camping available. they seem to be accommodating only to the $100k rig and up crowd. When we run into these we just look for a local room if we are at the end of our tanks.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:36 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJD View Post
What would be the best value motel to stay at let's say every 3rd night?

This would be about 60 nights a year we will be home spring and fall - and on the road summer north US and winter south US.
I would check motel web sites and look at their loyalty programs.

Comfort Suites
Best Western
Holiday Inn
Wyndham

The above may have generous rewards program.

If you move a little further up the trough such as Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt and the like - you may find the programs not as generous.

Good luck for whatever reason you want to stay in a motel - - this is America - - you have the freedom to do as you wish......ain't it great!!

g
Old 03-29-2018, 06:14 AM   #11

I used one motel room for two nights last year and used Expedia to book it. Since then the emails offering all kinds of discounts have been almost daily. While annoying, I didn't try to block the emails because I may need to book again this year and some of the discounts are huge.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:17 AM   #12

1. I only want to drive a short van or class b under 19 feet parking, fuel, and driving a long Motor home is just not me.
2. I am large, bathrooms made for RV's are tiny.
3. Using almost all my water on 1 short shower is a pain. +filling and emptying
JohnJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
I would check motel web sites and look at their loyalty programs.

Comfort Suites
Best Western
Holiday Inn
Wyndham

The above may have generous rewards program.

If you move a little further up the trough such as Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt and the like - you may find the programs not as generous.

Good luck for whatever reason you want to stay in a motel - - this is America - - you have the freedom to do as you wish......ain't it great!!

g
I totally agree with everything Glenn wrote.

When I was working, I normally choose a Marriott Residence inn, and I'm in their rewards program. I would spend literally months and months at a time in them. On one assignment I had to choose a Holiday Inn and I was surprised at how good their rewards program was compared to the Marriott. But I didn't feel the room was as clean as the Marriott rooms usually are, and the personnel were just not as accommodating as Marriotts are. Now that I'm retired from my second career, and we have the occasional need to stay in a hotel/motel, I still choose the Marriott Residence Inn, and I use their senior rate.

I guess all of this to say, choose what level hotel you are comfortable with, and go with it.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:49 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJD View Post
1. I only want to drive a short van or class b under 19 feet parking, fuel, and driving a long Motor home is just not me.
2. I am large, bathrooms made for RV's are tiny.
3. Using almost all my water on 1 short shower is a pain. +filling and emptying
Most truck stops have showers and bathrooms for a small fee of 5-10 dollars and you can overnight in your van/class b there for much cheaper than a hotel room. They also usually have restaurants on site.

I just don't see the purpose of an RV I guess if you are trying to avoid using it because the issues you want to address are going to be the same when you get to your destination as they are when traveling. I mean no offense but coming to an RV Forum and asking how to avoid using your RV is kinda odd. Good Luck with your travels and I hope you find a way to enjoy using your RV
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote