Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #1

Motorhome living with a cast on your leg, advice?

Having ankle surgery Oct 2 and will have a cast below my knee for two weeks. Not allowed to put any weight on it during the 2 weeks, so the VA gave me crutches and a knee scooter. Getting the cast of Oct 17, and then a walking boot for 4 weeks.

Since I will off of work for 6 weeks I told the husband lets take the motorhome and go where we want. I think its better then sitting around the house for 6 weeks. But I'm wondering how others who have had a cast or walking boot got around in the motorhome. The entry steps seam like the hardest task, once inside I don't think it would be too bad on getting around. Everything is way closer in the motorhome then the house as far as getting form one room to the other. I could always crawl up and down the steps if I had too and just use crutches inside to get around.

My husband is not liking the idea of me in a cast in the motorhome, he thinks it would be too hard to get in and out. Once I'm in a walking boot he is all for hitting the road for 4 weeks. This is probably the best thing to do, but I was liking the idea of rolling around for 6 weeks. Just come back to get the cast off, check the house and roll back out.

For those who have had a leg cast while in a RV, what was your experience and would you recommend waiting till I'm in a walking boot to hit the road?

Thanks,
Jen
G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I was in a walking boot for 6 months, the first 2 months the rule was *NO* weight on that foot. The doc would have preferred that I never get out of bed (not gonna happen).

For me, going up the steps was much harder than going down - gravity and all.
Think about going up the steps backward on your butt, then 'butt walk' to the nearest couch or chair and work your way up from there. It's a bit of a workout, but for me it was about the only way to keep the weight off of that foot.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I was in a walking boot for 6 months, the first 2 months the rule was *NO* weight on that foot. The doc would have preferred that I never get out of bed (not gonna happen).

For me, going up the steps was much harder than going down - gravity and all.
Think about going up the steps backward on your butt, then 'butt walk' to the nearest couch or chair and work your way up from there. It's a bit of a workout, but for me it was about the only way to keep the weight off of that foot.
Never thought of going up backwards, going to try that out this weekend. Thanks
Old 09-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Just jump on the hubby's back and up you go!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ask for a physical therapy (PT) consult and have them show you how to get up and down stairs. They'll do that right in the PT clinic. Pretty normal stuff - and you'll be amazed at how strong your non-surgery leg will get (and yes, some atrophy of the surgery leg) ...

Our best - be safe - go for it!!
Old 09-24-2017, 07:44 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
It's really not all that different from being in your home. I had a boot for 4 months and would just be very careful and take it slow. Went down stairs backwords as well, hanging on to the hand rails on RV.

I also had hip replacement and with the aid of crutches, was able to navigate the stairs with hubby's help. After a couple weeks, I was able to get out on my own.
Good luck with your surgery and enjoy your trip in the MH.
Brenda
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Just jump on the hubby's back and up you go!
Lol, that would work
Old 09-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Ask for a physical therapy (PT) consult and have them show you how to get up and down stairs. They'll do that right in the PT clinic. Pretty normal stuff - and you'll be amazed at how strong your non-surgery leg will get (and yes, some atrophy of the surgery leg) ...

Our best - be safe - go for it!!
The PT gal that fitted the crutches had me use them in some stairs, but there was plenty if room. Going to practice using them on the narrow motorhome stairs to see how bad it might be. Pretty excited to have 6 weeks off of work (not so excited about surgery though) and be in the motorhome more then a week at a time.
Thanks,
Jen
Old 09-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
It's really not all that different from being in your home. I had a boot for 4 months and would just be very careful and take it slow. Went down stairs backwords as well, hanging on to the hand rails on RV.

I also had hip replacement and with the aid of crutches, was able to navigate the stairs with hubby's help. After a couple weeks, I was able to get out on my own.
Good luck with your surgery and enjoy your trip in the MH.
Brenda
Going down the stairs backwards is working good, need more practice with the crutches thought. Got a week till surgery, so I think I can get it down better by then.

I think we are going to head out 3 days after surgery to Saint Louis for a youth hockey tournament that weekend. Roam around Nebraska for a week and see friends. Another youth hockey tournament in Omaha the next weekend and head home to get the cast off. Really like the knee scooter for getting around outside.

After that head back out to Charleston SC where Gary's kids live. Really love it out there. 4 straight week living in the motorhome is a great chance to see how full time life will be, when we sell the house next year.

Thanks,
Jen
Old 09-26-2017, 04:44 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-JLD9 View Post
The PT gal that fitted the crutches had me use them in some stairs, but there was plenty if room. Going to practice using them on the narrow motorhome stairs to see how bad it might be. Pretty excited to have 6 weeks off of work (not so excited about surgery though) and be in the motorhome more then a week at a time.
Thanks,
Jen
The narrow width of the RV stairs was the reason I couldn't (or maybe, chose not to) go up and down them with my crutches. Seems like either the boot or the crutches kept hanging up on stuff.
I have a two story house and could crutch those stairs without a problem, but the RV stairs and I just didn't get along.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:52 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-JLD9 View Post
Going down the stairs backwards is working good, need more practice with the crutches thought. Got a week till surgery, so I think I can get it down better by then.
For me the process was
All weight on the good leg.
Move the tips of crutches over the top of the stair below.
BEND the good leg, with VERY little leaning forward (keep your body weight centered on the current stair), until the crutches are solidly on the next stair down.
Shift your weight to the crutches and bring both legs down, putting weight on the good leg.
Repeat.

At first I kept wanting to bend forward to put the crutches on the next stair, and that screwed up my balance.

Practicing with the crutches before the surgery is a very good idea (not an option I had, I broke my foot), that way you can make your mistakes while you still have two good(ish) legs to catch yourself.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #12

I would avoid using the drivers door
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #13

A year and a half ago we lived on the east coast, and were on an extended trip out west in the motorhome. While out there, I had a bicycle wreck and shattered my right leg. I was in a cast that went from my upper thigh to the middle of my foot. I had a no weight restriction for 6 weeks. Getting in and out of the coach was done by sitting on the steps and using my good leg and arms to scoot on my butt up the stairs. I did not have crutches, but did have a walker. Once inside or outside the coach, I could manage OK. The hardest part was getting from a sitting position at the top of the stairs, to a standing position. I just used the passenger seat and the dash console to pull myself up. I had to stay bed ridden the first couple of weeks, and that drove my nutty.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:07 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have you considered fabricating or purchasing a ramp? There might be some logistical issues, but might be safer than riding on hubby’s back (-:

Tags
advice, motorhome