Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #1

Multiple uses for commode parts

Yesterday I needed to run a wire from my dash to the 12V fuse panel in the basement. It was interesting surprise to find that Tiffin used a toilet flange to bundle all the electrical. I guess plumbing is plumbing?

What is the strangest thing you have found about your RV?

Aside from the discovery yesterday, last year I discovered the light always stayed on in our refrigerator. Even with the door closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6417.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	346358   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6418.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	346359  

vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 05:31 PM   #2

Hey whatever is handy .....LOL

Light staying on when door is closed....Low Ambient Temp Switch if this is an absorption fridge or shorted door switch

Did you resolve that ??
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:08 PM   #3

The cubby between wall and driver's seat has a Chevy Bowtie emblem on the inside.

Headlights are direct fit from headlight assemblies on ‘99-‘04 Jeep Grand Cherokees
Old 10-18-2021, 03:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseasport View Post
Yesterday I needed to run a wire from my dash to the 12V fuse panel in the basement. It was interesting surprise to find that Tiffin used a toilet flange to bundle all the electrical. I guess plumbing is plumbing?

What is the strangest thing you have found about your RV?

Aside from the discovery yesterday, last year I discovered the light always stayed on in our refrigerator. Even with the door closed.
Great, now I have to go put the phone in the frig on video and hope that I can remember where I put it.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:44 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I have a 2002 Damon and I thought the headlights and taillights looked familiar. They used off the shelf lights from a Ford Crown Victoria. At least they are cheap and available.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Hey whatever is handy .....LOL

Light staying on when door is closed....Low Ambient Temp Switch if this is an absorption fridge or shorted door switch

Did you resolve that ??
Yes, got the light to turn off. The prior owner of our RV changed and the lighting on the interior to LED including the frig. One day I was in there and the light wasn't very bright. After changing the bulb I started playing around with the switch and discovered the light stayed on all the time. After messing with the switch for some time I discovered it had been re-wired to stay hot all the time. Maybe the the prior owner thought the food in there was afraid of the dark. Easy fix after sorting out the source of the problem.

On a side note, I wonder how many other Tiffin owners have a toilet flange plumbed in their electrical system. I was going to title the thread "You must be sh**ing me" but thought it might not be appropriate for the forum.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:29 AM   #7

The picture above could be from my Phaeton. I always thought it was a electrical vs plumbing item as it is not dimpled like a toilet flange.

Either way I still say Tiffin builds a great RV. That is both my opinion as I own one and look around a midrange campground - the older still mobile rigs are Tiffin, Newmar, etc.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:30 AM   #8
IC2

Our previous 5er had taillight assemblies that were '90s-early '00s Ford Econoline van units.

No telling what I've used but that's my regular method of doing mods and repairs. I've found that if the term "RV" is included in the product description, the price almost always goes up. When we had boats, it was even worse.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
The picture above could be from my Phaeton. I always thought it was a electrical vs plumbing item as it is not dimpled like a toilet flange.
Zoom in on picture and you can see the slots for toilet hold down T-bolts
Toilet floor flange repurposed.....

*Actually 'floor jockey' pulling wires didn't want to go get proper electrical grommet.....time is money when doing piece work
Stole plumbers toilet flange so now 'floor jockey' doing plumbing that day just screwed toilet to floor W/O floor flange in the 1/2 bath
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Zoom in on picture and you can see the slots for toilet hold down T-bolts
Toilet floor flange repurposed.....

*Actually 'floor jockey' pulling wires didn't want to go get proper electrical grommet.....time is money when doing piece work
Stole plumbers toilet flange so now 'floor jockey' doing plumbing that day just screwed toilet to floor W/O floor flange in the 1/2 bath
Wonder if the "floor jockey" gets plumbers wage for working with plumbing parts? In any event he was very thorough caulking and installing all four flange screws. He can sleep knowing it is not going to leak.

Tags
parts