Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2022, 03:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
Which has been a huge yawn until last season. Having the same two or three drivers on the podium race after race for season after season wasn't too much fun.

The NASCAR restrictor-plate races like Daytona can be boring, but they'd be worse without the stage format. I've enjoyed those Daytona because all of the cars are brand new and there are many changes in drafting, pit strategy and cooperation among drivers. It's been a good race from my perspective!
All the cars are identical. Remember IROC? Remove stage racing. I might watch again.

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2022, 04:39 AM   #30

Remove the chase system and I will watch again.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast E View Post
All the cars are identical. Remember IROC? Remove stage racing. I might watch again.
Almost, but not quite. There are differences in setup.

I think the stage/restrictor races are much better than just watching a line of cars go round and round. At least breaking it into stages bunches them back and allows some cars to regain laps.

I used to go to the IROC races in Charlotte. Loved those too!
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:36 AM   #32

For me - Nascar today has become the IROC of the ‘70’s. Identical cars so as to pit driver against driver and take the hardware out of the equation.

Am guessing their next step is to go all EV which makes the hardware even more identical/matching.

I don’t watch NASCAR any more - probably won’t ever again. Not that my hard earned money ever lined any of there pockets any way.

Give me dirt track round and round any day. World of Outlaws on dirt is fun - even funner - the local guys who build similar but restricted open wheel cars that are limited only by fuel type, displacement, and weight - pretty much anything else goes.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:06 AM   #33

The radial tire ruined NASCAR racing even before all the 20yo millionaires.
BP120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:58 PM   #34
PKI

NASCAR - never been a real fan. Have some interest in the vintage NASCAR racing programs. Like the safety of NASCAR designs for road racing, open road racing and similar non-traditional NASCAR racing.

Son watched the short track that was run in the LA Arena. Enjoyed the half time show. New target audience. He is an F1 fan, so it may just be a temporary diversion for him.

I generally find most racing to be a bore (Rather be a participant than a spectator), but I do get excited when the cars that have competed through the years are going head to head. So, vintage racing, open pits and Laguna Seca are my deal.

Can't see going to a NASCAR event, sitting in the infield with all the generators running and a sea of noise followed by a muddy mess that is impossible to exit without a tow.

Would like to purchase an older NASCAR road racer and do an open road event. that would be fun.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:29 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Remove the chase system and I will watch again.
I remember before the Chase/Playoff system people complained the champion was locked in well before the end of the season and made the final races meaningless. Annoyed a lot of people. Then came the playoffs and annoyed everyone else.

As much as stage racing is hated, the intention was to give the some meaning to all the laps before the last 20. I think it does that to some extent. It also causes crashes earlier in the race than would normally happen.

I think Jimmie Johnson became the poster child for the vanilla NASCAR we saw for so long. A great driver with a great crew chief and a well financed team. Really advanced the boring nature of the sport for so many years.

NASCAR has become a sport that lets billionaires buy into a professional sport at a much cheaper level than just about any other pro sport.

I still watch races and follow it casually. But I have no problem walking away from a race without ever following up to see who won.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:43 PM   #36

50 laps and be done...........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:50 AM   #37

I watch the last 50 and if I feel like it I watch the rest of it on the DVR. It's not what it used to be but I'll watch until I die.
Old 03-11-2022, 05:29 AM   #38

Rather stop in the smaller towns and catch the local track night, with some beaters and some great builds and lots of enthusiasm.

They need the money more, too!

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:56 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
It may just be me........but NASCAR is really really boring
*used to enjoy watching but the 3 stage races made it less enjoyable and Daytona 500 today is 'YAWN'

Never followed NASCAR until I went to work for a RHEEM company (Raypac division). In 2004 they began a minor sponsor for Harvick with company emails thru the week talking about the upcoming race and where the Rheem logo was going to be placed on the car and drivers suit. Then Monday morning at least 3 guys in the department would be talking Sundays race. I got hooked and Mark Martin was my guy. My boss got 10 hot laps at Talladega for his birthday and he was so excited. Then in 2008 first year fulltiming, stopped at the North Carolina welcome center on I-40 and saw the huge table of NASCAR brochures .... WOW, this is God's country! My first "race" was the Charlotte All Star Race high in the stands with 120,000 spectators.

So I've read all the posts and need some explaining ....
What's wrong with staged racing and and the playoff format??? For me I got tired of seeing Jimmy Johnson win the championship with 6 races to go. I realize you guys are right about old style racing and all the empty seats.
I haven't seen a sellout crowds for maybe 10 yrs up until 2022 Daytona.

I've always wrenched on engines and have had the need for speed, keeping in mind my Dad's saying "Speed kills, how fast do you want to go?".

Thx for the interesting thread,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote