Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I guess folks aren't seeing this.

Contacting your congressperson is futile until someone submits, congress approves and the states ratify a constitutional amendment.

The requirement for a state license even applies to federal land except where the state has granted the federal government control over that activity. Yellowstone Wyoming is the only place where that has happened that I am aware of. Some parks do require a park permit in addition to a state license.
Not sure about other National Parks but Mammoth Cave in Kentucky doesn't require a license. From the website "No fishing license or permit is required within the boundary of Mammoth Cave National Park."
Dnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnmatt View Post
Not sure about other National Parks but Mammoth Cave in Kentucky doesn't require a license. From the website "No fishing license or permit is required within the boundary of Mammoth Cave National Park."
Because there's only cave fish??

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #17

Always makes me chuckle the defensive posts and comments on subjects that come up like this. Individuals/People/Governments you name it, really don't look at the big picture in the big scheme of things.

As for the comment about buy fish at the supermarket! There's potentially more catch and release fisher people like my husband travelling through than those that keep fish. It's about the activity moreso than keeping the end product. Me personally I'd rather watch paint dry but to folks like my husband that enjoy the activity of itself, that type of comment was well ............ (head shaking).

Where's the consideration/common sense, about charging "non-residents" extortionate amounts to fish odd days over say a week or two to a month compared to residents that pay much much less typically and deplete the fish far more over the course of the year/season??? Doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I'm a little clueless???

Also folks like us that don't hang around in states/provinces that quote ridiculous fees for non-resident licenses are also not dropping our tourism dollars in other businesses, like grocery stores, RV parks, hotels/motels, restaurants, gas stations, etc etc. Lots of dollars that just drove by "that state/province".

Florida for my hubby we felt was very fair, albeit on some of the piers he didn't even need a license he still bought and renewed every year feeling it was a good cause. As a non-resident it was IIRC around $47/year. He would visit that state 3 or 4 times a year from 3 to 9 weeks at a time depending. It made sense and was to us a fair price to pay. However, there's a province we won't even hang around in and hardly drop any dollars in whatsoever, because they want heading towards $200 as a non-resident. To spend a week to maybe 10 days fishing for that kind of money with no intention of keeping any! Well .......... Again, sadly so many businesses lose out on the "other dollars" that would have been spent.

Personally as a non-fisher person, I can see that there's a very very good reason to consider a national or at least "regional" fishing license for travellers, and there's no reason why the revenue from it couldn't be pro-rated out to the various provinces/states based on a "needs basis" or percentage based on average previous 3/5 year revenues.

Just my two cents which really isn't worth that today, but just trying to say there's a bigger picture in all of this than just what "fishing license revenue" a particular state/province wants.
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
It would take constitutional amendment to take that control from the states........not likely!
Darn that pesky 10th Amendment.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
Old 11-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
It would take constitutional amendment to take that control from the states........not likely!
What amendment to the constitution grants governing fishing licenses to the states?
Old 11-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
What amendment to the constitution grants governing fishing licenses to the states?
I believe the 10th amendment covers it:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

And, as I said earlier, we're talking about a very small group of people who would be interested in such an amendment. "A subset (fisherpersons) who are a subset (fulltime RVers). I wish the folks who think this is a necessary change in the Constitution good luck. From the time it's started in motion you'll have 7 years to get it ratified. I don't see any reason a State government would want to give up the control or revenue to the Federal Government.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
If we really needed one I would bet it would be passed easier than one for a national fishing license.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #22

fed land is still fed land. NOT SURE how states are in control of fed land.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
fed land is still fed land. NOT SURE how states are in control of fed land.
Because the Federal government has limited powers in how the states run themselves. If you read your history you would know that. The folks for several posting above have pointed it out. If you think things are bad now you should read up on the Articles of Confederation we started out under.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Lost count how many states waved a fishing lic. Fee for me when I presented my disabled vet. Letter from the fed. Govt.

NJ actually gives me every single hunting, fishing, duck stamps etc free of charge.

Also got a lifetime free admittance card for all national parks, and discount fee if I ever camp in one.

I urge all members that are veterens to advise, carry and show your a veteren.

NJ issues a driver lic. With veteren written on it, I have it. Maybe your state has it.

Not a veteren ... your stuck with the fee, or fine .
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
I’ll gladly pay the fee so you don’t. It is the least we can do!
Old 11-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #26

YGBSM ! ! You're trying to get between a politician and his/her source of money for their latest pet project. Sure that'll happen when that proverbial hot place down below freezes over. Spend your time on something that only has a 5% chance of happening. That might be productive. (and yes, we fish Alaska each year as a non-resident)
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Because the Federal government has limited powers in how the states run themselves. If you read your history you would know that. The folks for several posting above have pointed it out. If you think things are bad now you should read up on the Articles of Confederation we started out under.
WOW man you need to chill. as well as study that federal land is federal land not governed by the state. although a state can apply to be able to control federal land. Look it up
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:15 AM   #28

The point is that the OP wants the Federal government to issue a national fishing license that lets him fish in all states. If you look into it they do not have that power in the first place. I think you will find fish and game laws are provided by the state with extra limitations where both sets of laws apply as in parks.

If you want to limit it to Federal land I suggest you look at a map of Federal land. Outside of some western states the government does not have a lot. Most of what they do have is limited access parks that won't do the OP much good.

Tags
national