Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #15

I agree with many of the things that have been stated prior. Four months ago I got my first set of hearing aids at Costco. A wonderful experience and much more affordable than other vendors.

At first I was taken back by how noisy everything is. So I only wore mine a few hours each day for a week. Then gradually increased the time, never pushing past my comfort zone. I was told they programmed mine initially for 65% of the volume level I needed. Some outfits at first crank them up to 100% of what your hearing test calls for. If this is the case you can easily be overwhelmed those first few weeks. Yes your brain has to "learn" to adjust to all this new stimulus that it has been missing out on. Adjustments are necessary by your tech to fine tune the aids to your liking. Don't give up on this, just realize you are climbing a learning curve. After 20+ years of hearing loss, hearing aids have been a large help to me and those around me. Today's technology makes aids much better than just 5-10 years ago.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Basically I say what others have said. I received mine from the VA almost 2 years ago, and had a terrible time for the first month. Went back for the checkup after a
month of use and they made adjustments. After around 6 months another tweaking and all was well. Wear them as much as possible for the first month, then have them
adjust them for you. It takes awhile till you realize what you have been missing.
Best of luck. By the way, mine are Phonak.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I agree, you may need some adjustment and allow time to get used to them. When mine were new I could 'hear' my hair when I combed it. I thought someone was chasing me in the mall, turned out to be someone pushing a baby stroller behind me.
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you everyone....

I wore them again today and although I loved hearing voices more clearly, it still amplifies agrravating sounds way more than I need... Like the dog barking or the sound of others chatting on their cell-phones around me.... Wow...how inconsiderate some people are and who knew how much people talk about when they think no-one can hear....

I will take all of your advice and bear with it for a few weeks. I called my audiologist and was informed that the aids were set at the mid-range level which is normal for most new wearers.

My aids are Phonak and they are remarkably comfortable. I forget that they are in my ears for most of the day but...yes you are right...I can hear my fingers going through my hair and so many little sounds that I have never heard before. I never realized that my blinkers or turn signals in my car made a noise. I can hear the tires oof my car on the road... I never realized that I could hear clickety clacks when I typed on my computer. I never heard heels clicking on a floor, (so no-one can creep up on me and kill me when my back is turned...LOL!!!) I never heard my little puppy's snores at night. WOW...this is all so new and I am amazed, delighted, and a little afraid of all this sensory overload.

My teenage nephew is totally deaf and has been so since his birth. A few years ago he had the opportunity to try a cochlear implant and he refused. He said he was more comfortable with his quiet world. I can understand somewhat his feelings.....but I will give it a try. Hubby says that he loves not having to yell at me to have me hear him...but he has to be careful because I can hear him whispering now...LOL!!!

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and your kind words. Bless you...You are all the BEST...!!!

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice