Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #1

Need Someone Smarter Than Me

My wife, two almost 18 year old granddaughters and yours truly just got back from a camping/skiing/hiking trip in the mountains of beautiful West Virginia. We had a blast! Now for my problem. On the day we went for a 2 mile hike, I told the girls the days temperature was going to be in the 30's, left over snow and ice on the trails, and probably mud from the melting snow. "Dress accordingly" were my parting words.

Sharon and I were dressed in waterproof hiking boots, backpack, jeans, coats and the girls? Well they came out of the motorhome dressed in 'ripped jeans', 3/4 inch sleeve light weight sweater and on their feet ...... well a picture is worth a thousand words.

Sharon, seeing what our girls were dressed in snuck back in the motorhome and stuffed two jackets, and several hand warmers in her backpack, and we headed down the trail with me shaking my head.

About 1/2 mile into the hike I could hear mummering from two freezing independent young woman. About 1 mile into the hike they were outwardly complaining they were freezing cold. I believe those red toenails turned blue! Sharon opened her backpack and offered the coats and hand warmers.

Now for the question. Should I have ordered the two to young woman to go back inside the motorhome and dress better for the expected elements? Or do you think they learned something?

BTW, they were still excited to go skiing the next day and another hike the day following.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Footwear (Large).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	321325  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #2

One must always weigh learning experience with risk of amputation due to frost bite, etc.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:58 PM   #3

There’s some guy that does breathing exercises and then hikes in the snow wearing his underwear. Maybe they could learn something from him?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #4

Should have delayed the hike for 10 minutes during which time the girls would have had to remain outside.....learning lesson over and still at the RV

Part of that 'parenting skills' so the youngsters do NOT incur injuries
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:33 PM   #5

After having raised 3 children and being a boy scout leader for almost 2 decades, I'm pretty familiar with that situation! You handled it quite well by "being prepared". I might would have offered a little guidance prior to leaving that "you might want to reconsider your choice of footwear", but with any resistance, I would have proceeded as planned and hoped that they learned a valuable lesson! Lessons learned the hard way are the ones most often remembered.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:31 PM   #6

That's the thing about common sense. There seems to be less of it these days.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #7

The first year I was a Scoutmaster I led the troop on a weekend Winter Camporee in the Rocky Mountains west of Boulder. I was new to snow camping but had spent a lot of time outdoors in the snow. Several of the Asst. SMs had snow camping experience to teach them (and me.)
We spent several weekly troop meetings teaching the boys how and how not to dress for a weekend of activity in the snow competing with other troops at winter skills and survival techniques.
We emphasized over and over to the boys that they will get snow on their clothes and those clothes will get wet, especially if made of cotton. We recommended either layers of wool or Polar Fleece which retain some warmth when wet and dry relatively quickly topped by Nylon outer layers filled with synthetic insulation to protect better from moisture and wind.
We even sent home an information sheet for the parents to ensure the boys were properly dressed and equipped. It ended with NO COTTON BLUE JEANS OR SOCKS!
Of course, as happens all too often, we had to "Be Prepared" by bringing proper clothing for the few kids who came close to getting frostbite because their parents ignored the recommendations. We had to hunt up a pay phone (I assume this group remembers those) to call the parents of a boy we needed to send home because he possibly needed medical attention.
Most of the boys learned from other's mistakes and a few learned from their own mistakes.
[emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
The only excuse I can thing of is, "it never gets cold where they live"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
My wife, two almost 18 year old granddaughters and yours truly just got back from a camping/skiing/hiking trip in the mountains of beautiful West Virginia. We had a blast! Now for my problem. On the day we went for a 2 mile hike, I told the girls the days temperature was going to be in the 30's, left over snow and ice on the trails, and probably mud from the melting snow. "Dress accordingly" were my parting words.

Sharon and I were dressed in waterproof hiking boots, backpack, jeans, coats and the girls? Well they came out of the motorhome dressed in 'ripped jeans', 3/4 inch sleeve light weight sweater and on their feet ...... well a picture is worth a thousand words.

Sharon, seeing what our girls were dressed in snuck back in the motorhome and stuffed two jackets, and several hand warmers in her backpack, and we headed down the trail with me shaking my head.

About 1/2 mile into the hike I could hear mummering from two freezing independent young woman. About 1 mile into the hike they were outwardly complaining they were freezing cold. I believe those red toenails turned blue! Sharon opened her backpack and offered the coats and hand warmers.

Now for the question. Should I have ordered the two to young woman to go back inside the motorhome and dress better for the expected elements? Or do you think they learned something?

BTW, they were still excited to go skiing the next day and another hike the day following.
If they live where it gets cold, Go home and spank your children for not teaching them much. They likely sit home on their computers and never go out. I fear this world will take advantage of them.
Maybe they're raising them to be Engineers!
Old 03-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
The first year I was a Scoutmaster I led the troop on a weekend Winter Camporee in the Rocky Mountains west of Boulder. I was new to snow camping but had spent a lot of time outdoors in the snow. Several of the Asst. SMs had snow camping experience to teach them (and me.)
We spent several weekly troop meetings teaching the boys how and how not to dress for a weekend of activity in the snow competing with other troops at winter skills and survival techniques.
We emphasized over and over to the boys that they will get snow on their clothes and those clothes will get wet, especially if made of cotton. We recommended either layers of wool or Polar Fleece which retain some warmth when wet and dry relatively quickly topped by Nylon outer layers filled with synthetic insulation to protect better from moisture and wind.
We even sent home an information sheet for the parents to ensure the boys were properly dressed and equipped. It ended with NO COTTON BLUE JEANS OR SOCKS!
Of course, as happens all too often, we had to "Be Prepared" by bringing proper clothing for the few kids who came close to getting frostbite because their parents ignored the recommendations. We had to hunt up a pay phone (I assume this group remembers those) to call the parents of a boy we needed to send home because he possibly needed medical attention.
Most of the boys learned from other's mistakes and a few learned from their own mistakes.
[emoji40]
I’d imagine that the parents weren’t interested in spending $1500 on synthetic undergarments and outer shells for a weekend of frolicking in the snow, when they managed to survive childhood with waffle cotton skivvies and a barn coat.

I bet those boys would have brought home the survival trophy if they made their own raccoon hats and elk skin coats.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrocharlie View Post
If they live where it gets cold, Go home and spank your children for not teaching them much. They likely sit home on their computers and never go out. I fear this world will take advantage of them.
Maybe they're raising them to be Engineers!
Explain please
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
I’d imagine that the parents weren’t interested in spending $1500 on synthetic undergarments and outer shells for a weekend of frolicking in the snow, when they managed to survive childhood with waffle cotton skivvies and a barn coat.

I bet those boys would have brought home the survival trophy if they made their own raccoon hats and elk skin coats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post

It was the early 90s and outerwear wasn't that expensive. All the parents were running around in North Face, L. L. Bean, Colombia, Eddie Bauer, etc. I'm not sure if GoreTex was on the radar yet. This was Boulder after all.
As a Merit Badge Counselor for the Wilderness Survival Merit Badge and graduate of three military survival schools I could teach them how to make traps and snares for all kinds of small game but trapping an elk would be a whole 'nuther matter. That would have to wait for Summer Camp where we taught the Rifle and Shotgun Merit Badge courses on a range.
The activities the boys competed in at Winter Camporee were designed more to wear the kids out than to find food.
When we went looking for a pay phone we found it at Reverend's Ridge Campground in Golden Gate Canyon State Park. We found a fresh brown bear track in the snow in the middle of the campground road. A few days after the Camporee a teacher at my wife's elementary school who lived a stone's throw north of where we had just camped found a mountain lion munching on a deer carcass right next to her driveway. She said the lion wasn't intimidated by her car at all and just glared at her as she drove slowly past it to her house. It's a good thing he wasn't a fan of young boy meat. He would have had more than a hundred to choose from.
[emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:08 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
One answer, not MINE, but it's just one explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Explain please
Intelligent people, however, have a tendency to overapply their analytical and logical reasoning abilities derived from their general intelligence incorrectly to such evolutionarily familiar domains and, as a result, get things wrong. In other words, liberals and other intelligent people lack common sense because their general intelligence overrides it. They think in situations where they are supposed to feel. In evolutionarily familiar domains such as interpersonal relationships, feeling usually leads to correct solutions whereas thinking does not.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg
Old 03-15-2021, 09:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrocharlie View Post
Intelligent people, however, have a tendency to overapply their analytical and logical reasoning abilities derived from their general intelligence incorrectly to such evolutionarily familiar domains and, as a result, get things wrong. In other words, liberals and other intelligent people lack common sense because their general intelligence overrides it. They think in situations where they are supposed to feel. In evolutionarily familiar domains such as interpersonal relationships, feeling usually leads to correct solutions whereas thinking does not.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg
You may have overthought that.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:08 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
No, it's just how I FEEL.
The space shuttle external fuel tank, covered with foam for insulation wasn't painted so it could carry a few more pounds of cargo. The foam is rotted by UV light. They kept it outside with no cover to protect it from Sunlight. The space shuttle was discontinued because the risk was too great to the crew because of damage from damaged foam.