Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 09:28 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Smile Negotiating price & trade in

Hi everyone, first timer and really don't know where to ask this question. My name is Barbara and we bought a 07 national seabreeze lx last June,I am loosing my sight and our motorhome is very dark inside. We saw a 2015 Miramar 34.2 we liked very much. My question is are we making a mistake? We paid for the seabreeze over $4280.00 Miramar asking price $100.000. How do we negotiate the price and trade in Please Help thank you Barbara
barbara1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you paint the interior a lighter color? That won't diminish the resale value of the rig. Buying another RV at this point without knowing if this would solve your issue with your present rig seems a better way to go.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #3

I'll assume there is a typo, in your purchase price.
Should it read $42,800.00 ?
Price negotiation is an art, always remember you're the one buying, and it's your money, pick a number that makes you happy , both for your trade value and price difference, and stick to it.
Do not hesitate to get up from the table and walk away, and never sign anything ,till you've read it twice and can live with the bottom line.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:07 PM   #4

I am going to add that I don't care what the dealer is giving me for my unit and I know enough about pricing the RV that I am interested in to know if their price is competetive. All that I am interested in is the bottom line that I am completely comfortable in paying, and the floor plan is what I want.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Barbara, I think you could get more for your present rig if you sell it yourself, IF circumstances will allow. A dealer is only going to give you a wholesale price for it, because he has to resell it and make money! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Barbara,
I agree with Joe. Those of us who own Nationals love them and if they are priced right, they will sell. What model Seabreeze do you have?

I would be glad to advise you if you want to send me a PM with your phone #. I am not a dealer or anything, but know a lot about Nationals and negotiating.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #7

Well if you know what you want to pay ask the dealer what the bottom line will be, just remember depending on what you are paying for the new unit you may get less than half of what you paid for your trade in.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Keep in mind, if the difference between what you think you could sell yours for and what the dealer is offering is worth your time setting around showing, hoping it sells, wondering are they going to call back, should I have taken that offer! I took wholesale on my trade in to complete the deal, then was on the road enjoying my new purchase. How valuable is you time?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
In my 59 years of buying and selling, I never let a dealer know that I have a trade in until I get the purchase price where I'm happy with. Then we'll talk about a trade, or not.

If you confide in them that you have a trade, they'll work the numbers and make it appear like a good deal, and they'll explain it very well too. Get the purchase price nailed down very first. Then tell them you want to trade.

If you notice, they'll always ask you, right up front if you have a trade. I always tell them it doesn't make any difference until I see if I'm buying first.

Good luck!!!

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #10

Look, it all comes down to the difference price. You can play games like pulling a trade out at the last minute but thats silly and it just wastes a persons time. Look up your coach on NADA and consider the low retail to be basic wholesale, dont add options that are standard but be sure the big options are checked off. Then do the same for the unit you are considering and that will get you in the ball park but dont forget the dealer has overhead, typically the larger dealerships add 6-8% just to break out and make a mini-deal, they do this to pay the light bill and the office staff etc..
Old 06-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, all I care about is the difference I'm paying. Doesn't matter what price or trade. They can work the numbers however they want.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #12

You will almost certainly get more for your trade by selling it on Craigslist. Do a little bit of research and price it well and it will sell quickly and sell for much more than a trade in price.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectraguy View Post
Look, it all comes down to the difference price. You can play games like pulling a trade out at the last minute but thats silly and it just wastes a persons time. Look up your coach on NADA and consider the low retail to be basic wholesale, dont add options that are standard but be sure the big options are checked off. Then do the same for the unit you are considering and that will get you in the ball park but dont forget the dealer has overhead, typically the larger dealerships add 6-8% just to break out and make a mini-deal, they do this to pay the light bill and the office staff etc..
Thanks for setting me straight and calling me silly. Thanks very much.

Low book is trade in? what book are you using? Check again, silly

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockTank View Post
Thanks for setting me straight and calling me silly. Thanks very much.

Low book is trade in? what book are you using? Check again, silly
When it comes to RVs book values are pretty much useless. Not siding with anyone, only stating my experance, the end result is how much am I willing to pay above and in addition to my trade in. Don't think the other guy was saying your silly, but you can take it how you read it. Just my opinion.