Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New found respect for Wal-Mart

Yesterday we went to Wal-Mart and when we pulled into the parking lot I thought they had doubled the reserved spaces for handicaps.
It brought a tear to my eye when I discovered that half the spaces were reserved for "Wounded Warriors".
Thanks Wal-Mart
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I'll second that. Lets hope they stay reserved for those who they're intended for. They deserve it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I'll second that. Lets hope they stay reserved for those who they're intended for. They deserve it.
Great gesture by Walmart. Just wondering about enforcement: Is there a special badge or handicap sticker to identify disabled veterans?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #4

^ Great question but no real answer. Citations can not be issued on private property in the State in which I live. Therefore, it takes the owner to have the vehicle towed.
While a nice gesture i believe it to be just another percieved goodwill gesture by Wally which really only costs them a few signs. But, then again I am a cynic.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Community Administrator

All of the posts with personal remarks have been deleted as its not allowed here. Lets keep to the topic. Thanks
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #6

Thanks Cliff. While I have been chastized in the past for my remarks, I just could not let that one slide.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #7

"My" WM has a wall of honor inside the store with pics of vets etc. Very nice.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster1 View Post
Thanks Cliff. While I have been chastized in the past for my remarks, I just could not let that one slide.
Glad you held off, he was WAY out of bounds.

I hope folks have enough respect to stay out of those spots if they did not earn them.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #9

i was a walmart store manager for 20 years and you would not believe what people do when it comes to the handi cap parking, and i am sure it is going to happen to the wounded warriors parking, and the bad part of it is the very people that are parking in those spaces are the over weight ones that need to be walking that extra 100 ft. this is a great gesture and i hope the local police enforce it.
thanks;
jim d
jldacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In the WalMart parking lot here in Oregon last week, I saw an older gentleman with a "Handicap Parking Compliance Volunteer" vest on. He was checking the handicap hang tags and recording in a notebook. I'm not sure what, if any, authority he had, but his presence made me feel that WalMart is doing something to police the handicap spaces.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They may have problems with enforcement, but for Walmart's thinking of our special warriors.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I am one of those that has a tag to hang, I am also a vet. If I did shop at Walmart I would still use the disabled spots since those are the ones that I got chided into getting the tag for. Thom had been after me for years to get it and when I asked the doctor about it her response was "you don't have it yet?" so I got it to use when I can't walk that far.
By the way I honestly think those signs will last as long as the signs for parking for pregnant women.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Kudos to WalMart for supporting our vets
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster1 View Post
^ Great question but no real answer. Citations can not be issued on private property in the State in which I live. Therefore, it takes the owner to have the vehicle towed.
While a nice gesture i believe it to be just another percieved goodwill gesture by Wally which really only costs them a few signs. But, then again I am a cynic.
Here in WA we can (I'm deputized to do so) issue citations for illegal parking, illegal use of someone else's permit, parking in the access zones (motorcyclists are the biggest abusers) and encroachment (parking partly in the access zone even if you have a HC permit. We are allowed to go onto private property without the owners request or permission too since it's state law here.
We can't, however, issue citations for parking in anything but handicapped spots as the Wounded Warrior ones aren't covered by Federal or State was.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote