Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #1

New to the RV world

Hello Everyone

We have been thinking about getting an RV. But we have so many questions.
I have been looking on this site for new comers to the RV world. and can not fined anything. ( Please note that I am not a computer wiz by no means)
Can someone help me out? would like to no about ins, lic pricing, and the do's and do nots having an RV

Thanks The new "B"
edwhitacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 01:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have not come across a specific forum for New Comers but there a usually posts in any of the forums with specific questions. I would suggest you do searches for each of your questions.

At the top of the page there is a search box where you can search both the IRV2 and Google. Type in you question in general terms i.e. Insurance for Motorhome. You should get multiple hits that you can read and then better refine your search.

You can then post specific questions. The more specific the better the response.

There are forums for type of RV >> Class A,B,C along with 5th wheels and travel trailers. There are specific forums for manufacturers of RV in the Owners forum.

I have spent a lot of time just reading the various forums and have learned a lot & I've been an RV owner for 17 years.

Good luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwhitacre View Post
Hello Everyone

We have been thinking about getting an RV. But we have so many questions.
I have been looking on this site for new comers to the RV world. and can not fined anything. ( Please note that I am not a computer wiz by no means)
Can someone help me out? would like to no about ins, lic pricing, and the do's and do nots having an RV

Thanks The new "B"

Because you have chosen to ask questions before you buy you are likely to be very pleased with RVing.

I happen to be one who thinks buying new is not a good idea. But, without the folks who have the desire to do just that, those of us who like used would not have such a good selection.

Those of us with dp's (diesel pushers) we are diehards on the topic for the most part. But, by your current attitude, making a good choice for your desires and needs will simply be lots of leg work and priority setting.

Good things to have if you are looking for comfort and conveyance: generator, AGM batteries, pure sine wave inverter, residential refrigerator, washer and dryer (we found the combination unit inconvenient) and a convection/microwave. If you go dp, Freightliner, Cummins ISC or ISL, Alison 3000MH transmission, Onan generator and Magnum pure sine wave inverter.

Pick the floor plan that fits your needs. Find the manufacture that has a good reputation over the long run and then hunt the model and price you are wanting. Compromise is also an option that you must exercise.

Now, my predigests is going to be expressed here. We love our coach. We saw this floor plan at a RV show but it was in the bigger Tour/Ellipse QD model. When we saw the 40U we knew we needed to find one we could afford. It took a 1 1/2 before we came up with this one, and we had to drive 1200 miles to get it, but the hunt was well worth the wait.

For the most part Winnebago industries has a good reputation. They are not perfect but they are better than some other manufactures in this price range. The major problem, across the board, is dealer service. Camping World seems to be leading the pack for poor service.

When you finally settle on a RV, plan to make one of your first trips to the factory service center. This is true for the chassis also. Freightliner in Gaffney, SC is great and these folks seem to really know their chassis. The service techs have not worked the factory assembly jobs but are trained by Freightliner to work on these custom products. I imagine this is true for the other chassis manufactures Winnebago uses.

The Winnebago factory service center in Forest City, IA has a good reputation. These folks are very knowledgeable and often have many many years with the company.

I hope that whatever you choose is a good, long lasting fit for your current and future needs. Happy hunting and happy trails when you finally hit the road.

Rick Y
Old 12-31-2014, 02:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Also, if you have a specific question, chances are some other newbie did as well. Use the search feature at the top of the main page to search for threads discussing the topic. Welcome to RVing and iRV2.

rv.net does have a "Beginning RVing" forum.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:39 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I would propose an RV show in your area. Or take a trip to one of the large RV dealers like Lazy Days in Fla. We have always planned on an RV in retirement and traveling and now are just beginning to do so. We chose the Tiffin RED, a diesel pusher and have not been disappointed. Have had it a year and a half and joined a local FMCA club and Rally camp every month with the group.

Lots to choose from out there. Enjoy.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #6

Ed most of the stuff you asked about is going to depend on what you want. License plates will depend on the weight of the vehicle and what state you are going to register it in. Insurance will depend on how new, the value of the unit, your driving record and who you want insurance with. You can get some really low rates but then you have to worry if they will pay if something happens and when they will pay if they do pay. The do's and do nots, well there are a lot of the do nots here as well as the dos but as already stated, read as much as you have time for here and come back as often as you have time to read more. Then on top of that one of the most important things is do not buy a used unit site unseen from any one including a dealer, get an inspector to go through the unit.
So are you looking at full timing? A weekend unit? Just you or you and ten others? Do you think you will want to tow a vehicle or a large trailer with several vehicles behind the unit? I am about six years out from our decision so started earlier than others and have spent hours here reading to find out what is going on. I read horror stories that these people have turned into happy stories because they were directing a family through a snow storm that were driving a rig that was malfunctioning and these people gave them weather reports and locations with phone numbers of campgrounds they could get to to hunker down in until the storm blew over. At that time I was reading a story about another family that did the same thing the year before they helped out. You have stumbled upon the right site to get the information you will need but please take your time and listen to what they have to say. Yes I am new here too.
King Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #7

We are glad you joined Us
Thornhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

That question covers a LOT of ground! I would suggest that you poke around the various forums here and ask specific questions.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote