Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 12:38 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Not How I Wanted to Spend the Evening

Let me say up front that my kid is great. He's 33, a brilliant civil rights lawyer and a fantastic athlete. We work together and it makes going to the office a pleasure.

BUT, having said that, like most kids he can be a complete idiot.

Last night I get a call from him after he's borrowed my Dodge Cummins P/U.

"Dad, I need help...I just filled the Dodge up....with super unleaded."
Fortunately he only drove about 1/4 mile before he realized it and pulled over.
Towed it home and this evening he and I pulled the tank, got the gas out, blew out the lines, changed the filter and got it fired up. Filled it up with REAL diesel and we're back in business.

You know, everyone makes mistakes. But this is the second time. Last time was about 15 years ago. At least if he waits another 15 years I won't have to help him fix it AGAIN.

I thought about beating him, but he'd kick my butt. At least he paid for the new tank of fuel and the filter.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 12:46 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me!

My son will be 28 next month, and he just ripped out the shore power cord receptacle from the side of our RV. Don't we just love our kids. . .
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #3

Adult sons are tearing up their own stuff now. And, not as much as when they were teenagers and not responsible for the bills. Funny how that works, huh?

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #4

Human beings are the only species that allow our young to return to the nest without eating them!
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
My daughter put some "Easy Mac and Cheeze" in the microwave at home and forgot to put water in the container. I was sitting in the family room and 3 minutes later, I hear my daughter say "Uh...Dad". I turn around and I can't see the kitchen for smoke. The "Easy Mac and Cheeze" caught fire in the microwave. Where's the microwave? In the pantry with all our stock of food and all our appliances.
I ran and quickly put the fire out in the microwave and assessed the situation. Everything stunk to high heaven and was covered in soot and a greasy yellow residue as is typical with a protein fire.

We had just had an insurance claim on our flooring as my wife moved a huge plant and cracked the pot and was unknowingly watering the hardwood underneath so putting in another claim so soon would have sent my premiums through the roof.

After throwing out almost all the food and every small electric appliance due to smoke infiltration, I figure it cost me about $3000 and I had to do all the cleanup and wash down walls and ceilings in two rooms on top of it.

My daughter felt bad and I felt bad for her. She's a 16 year old straight A honour roll student but falls short in the brains dept. for real life thinking as most teens do. You just have to shake your head and tell them you love them like you really do!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:54 AM   #6
bap

hey....we all make mistakes evenn the same ones from time to time,,,,thats how we humans learn.,.my 38yr old son has know everything and was smarter than us at 10.....lol....have and do we as adults still make mistakes....i will admit i do..
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need a CD-Label maker,, And a coaster CD (GLossery follows)

Make two CD labels using like 46 point type THIS TRUCK BURNS DIESEL FUEL ONLY DO NOT PUT IN GASOLINE.

Apply one label to each side of the coaster

Drill a small hole near the edge of the CD

Attach to key ring you loan him

Coaster CD: this is any cd with either has a defect and thus can not be read or played or which contains information that is no longer of any value, in the second case sandpaper the label side of the cd to remove the data, Do not worry about it being ugly, you are going to paste teh label over it anyway.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You need a CD-Label maker,, And a coaster CD (GLossery follows)

Make two CD labels using like 46 point type THIS TRUCK BURNS DIESEL FUEL ONLY DO NOT PUT IN GASOLINE.

Apply one label to each side of the coaster

Drill a small hole near the edge of the CD

Attach to key ring you loan him

Coaster CD: this is any cd with either has a defect and thus can not be read or played or which contains information that is no longer of any value, in the second case sandpaper the label side of the cd to remove the data, Do not worry about it being ugly, you are going to paste teh label over it anyway.
We have had a few young staff put gas in our diesel trucks at work in past.
It prompted us to put "DIESEL FUEL ONLY" labels right on the fuel door in BIG BOLD BLACK LABELS.
It hasn't happened since.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #9

Last night I stopped at a company branded gas station to fill my Honda CRV. The pump had two hoses on each pump with one nozzle being yellow and the other being this weird very dirty green/black color. Normally when I fill up my diesel coach I usually look for the green pump handle, so this time I inserted my credit card, punched the Unledded button and picked up the yellow handle and inserted the pipe into the filler hole. Nothing happened when I squeezed the handle. About that time a voice on the loudspeaker came on and said "use the green handle for unleaded gas.

It seems, according to the very cute clerk, the last mechanic to work on the pump switched the pump handle colors and they have been waiting for him to come back and switch them back for 2 weeks.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Last night I stopped at a company branded gas station to fill my Honda CRV. The pump had two hoses on each pump with one nozzle being yellow and the other being this weird very dirty green/black color. Normally when I fill up my diesel coach I usually look for the green pump handle, so this time I inserted my credit card, punched the Unledded button and picked up the yellow handle and inserted the pipe into the filler hole. Nothing happened when I squeezed the handle. About that time a voice on the loudspeaker came on and said "use the green handle for unleaded gas.

It seems, according to the very cute clerk, the last mechanic to work on the pump switched the pump handle colors and they have been waiting for him to come back and switch them back for 2 weeks.
That could be a nasty situation to be presented with if not caught!
Old 10-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
After my daughter put gas in my PU instead of diesel i rented her a pu next time she wanted to use mine..cheaper that way
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
My daughter put some "Easy Mac and Cheeze" in the microwave at home and forgot to put water in the container. I was sitting in the family room and 3 minutes later, I hear my daughter say "Uh...Dad". I turn around and I can't see the kitchen for smoke. The "Easy Mac and Cheeze" caught fire in the microwave. Where's the microwave? In the pantry with all our stock of food and all our appliances.
I ran and quickly put the fire out in the microwave and assessed the situation. Everything stunk to high heaven and was covered in soot and a greasy yellow residue as is typical with a protein fire.

We had just had an insurance claim on our flooring as my wife moved a huge plant and cracked the pot and was unknowingly watering the hardwood underneath so putting in another claim so soon would have sent my premiums through the roof.

After throwing out almost all the food and every small electric appliance due to smoke infiltration, I figure it cost me about $3000 and I had to do all the cleanup and wash down walls and ceilings in two rooms on top of it.

My daughter felt bad and I felt bad for her. She's a 16 year old straight A honour roll student but falls short in the brains dept. for real life thinking as most teens do. You just have to shake your head and tell them you love them like you really do!
Got to love them. Bought our son a car. Mom is driving it home and decides to stop and let him drive the last 3.5 miles to the house. Gets to our corner and makes this wide sweeping left that takes out the stop sign. 3.5 miles only cost an additional $1100.00 to have repairs made.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #13

My brother inlaw filled my boat with gas while I was geting ice . The only problem was he put the gas on the rod holder not the gas fill so I had about 50 gallon of gas in the hull when the bilge pumps started spewing gas . Very lucky no sparks.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #14

Our kids left home while they still "knew" everything.
Now they ask for advice.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote