Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now Retired!

For me, the rat race is over! Today is the first full day of retirement. The Social Security portion will begin in a few months, but as of today, I am "Done, Son!"

I decided to retire now since we're coming up on the holidays and if I continued working, I would have missed out on family gatherings. I have 2 elderly aunts in their 80s and one doesn't know how long they will be around, so it is best to enjoy their company while I can.

I will probably do some sporadic work here and there, but on a limited basis. I want to concentrate on my own projects, including publishing an updated edition of The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan and, of course, RV traveling.

I am taking a cue from my parents' experience. My dad didn't have much in the way of "golden years" after his retirement due to health issues. Thankfully, I have no health issues (knock on wood) and I figure I'd better enjoy things now.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #2

Congratulations!!!!!! I retired five years ago and while I miss the people I worked with, I do not miss the 'rat race'! Take a little time for your self and get into a new 'groove' and routine. I go to the gym three days a week and do 'free' work locally. We do travel a little and have gotten to take longer trips from our home in Alaska to the 'lower 48'.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
Congratulations!!!!!! I retired five years ago and while I miss the people I worked with, I do not miss the 'rat race'! Take a little time for your self and get into a new 'groove' and routine. I go to the gym three days a week and do 'free' work locally. We do travel a little and have gotten to take longer trips from our home in Alaska to the 'lower 48'.
Thanks! That's what I am doing. Since I worked the graveyard shift, a priority is to get back to a normal sleep pattern.

My girlfriend and I treated ourselves to massages last evening. Definitely a great way to relieve any residual stresses.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the retirement! We did it back in 2010 and have loved every minute of it!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #5

I got fed up of all the travel I had to do, mostly to the Islamic world. I asked for an alternative assignment and was refused. After one particularly hard trip, I checked my BP on a machine in the company cafeteria Friday lunchtime and got a reading of 225/160. After the following 3-day weekend it was 135/75. Stress-related hypertension? - sure as eggs are eggs!

Retired 2 weeks later, 3 weeks short of my 58th birthday. No regrets at all after 16 years!
Old 11-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Retired just a little under 122 months ago but who's keeping count. One thing I have never missed is WORK. Once out the door I never looked back. Enjoy your time traveling, with family, whatever you want, just ENJOY.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #7

AWESOME!!!

Not only will you be able to spend time with your aunt's but with all the important people in your life.

Wife and I both retired six months ago, (62) and one thing that drove me is how many times you see where people pass away so early in life, her mother recently passed away and although she was 82 her family history had her living to about mid 90,s.

I don't live scared but I don't know what my experation date is........ so here we go.

Good luck with your retirement make the most of it.
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #8

Congrats on the retirement.....which is really just a new stage in life

My folks didn't get to enjoy their 'retirement' years due to Moms Alzheimers and Dad being full timer caregiver.
GFs folks never even made it to retirement.....early heart attacks

I retired at age 50 and 4 yrs. later GF retired at age 50.
THEN life really began

I worked 12 hr. rotating shifts and 12 yrs. later I still get 'stuck on graveyard'

Hope your retirement goes well. Enjoy it, relish it, make the most of it.

WORK......No Thanks.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:19 PM   #9

In my past life I had a job I loved, but when they offered a small retirement window with added and sweetened benefits I leaped through the window and landed in retirement bliss. Being a "type A" I thought I would find it hard to adjust, but with traveling, house and grand kids I can't fine the time to do it all.
My better half worked about a year longer. Every morning I would get up, make her breakfast, scrape the frost off the car windshield, turn the car around in the driveway and open the door for her as she prepared to travel to work. Then as she drove off I would high five my dog and we would go back to bed! Ah, retirement is grand!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #10

Retired? ha, a better word would be demoted. I have been "demoted" for almost 12 years now. My hours are longer, I get no coffee breaks, no perks, no insurance, and no chance for promotion, and I would say no raises, but that would suggest I am getting paid.

I hesatate to say I am way behind in my schedule, but if everything goes well, I get to celebrate my 62nd birthday next year sometime.

But, there are good points. If I do well, I get to wash her car, and maybe scrub the kitchen.

Bottom line, I am very happy to have her as my "adult supervisor". Life is good, I am blessed, and IF I am good, next April 10th, I get the entire afternoon off

Ken Gasbarri
Old 11-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
retired in 04 wife in 05 due to health travel as much as we can enjoying every moment of life this is just a new start in life with a few bumps in the road living like there is no tomorrow but the sun keeps shinning good luck and have as much fun as you can afford best times are ahead
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #12

You are three weeks ahead of me. I officially retire on Dec 4 after 29 years with the same organization. Really looking forward to it - my wife retired 8 years ago at 55 from a career as a registered nurse. Since that time she has been traveling with me - 4 or 5 international trips a year and 10 or 12 trips in the USA. Nearly all of those trips were flying, then rental car and hotel.

Now we will be in our new motor home - if we want to go 200 miles in a day we will or if we want to go more we can try for that or if we decide to do less we'll do that! We're both 63 and in relatively good health so we want to travel while we can. I'm a CPA and read a lot about finances. I recently read a good article that said you can break your retirement into three phases:

1. The go go years
2. The slow go years
3. The no go years

We definitely are in phase 1 for now - we'll have to see how long it takes us to get to phase 2.
judatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Old 11-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #14

It's just another 4 letter word. The first 3 months it's weird then you wake up the person you forgot you were!!! Enjoy and seize your days!!

Gary
gwlaeb is offline   Reply With Quote