Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2022, 07:22 AM   #1

nurses & driver killed in colorado when Jeep falls off cliff

tragic.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/arizona-n...f-roading-tour
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2022, 07:34 AM   #2

It does look super dangerous.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:03 AM   #3

I've driven that road many times and there are many places where it is a single lane shelf road. Any small error can be disastrous. I would consider a Jeep Gladiator to be a pretty large vehicle in many spots.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 09-17-2022, 08:54 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Wonder why the guide wasn’t driving? Driven the Jeep and motorcycles over those pass many times. Not that technical, just have to pay attention.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:09 AM   #5

We hit that road back about 30 years ago. No trouble in my Ford Bronco II. I agree, the Gladiator is a bit large for some of these Colorado trails.

I remember coming down Black Bear into Telluride this one year, video camera on my shoulder while I was doing it. Needless to say, I've matured some and would never consider doing anything like that now. Iron Chest is another that a person needs to be really careful on.

Very sad to hear about these three people.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:42 AM   #6
laj

nurses & driver killed in colorado when Jeep falls off cliff

While this may be tragic, not un-for-seeable. It’s these kind pf dumb stunts that gets these roads closed, or highly regulated for the rest of us that know what we’re doing.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 12:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
While this may be tragic, not un-for-seeable. It’s these kind pf dumb stunts that gets these roads closed, or highly regulated for the rest of us that know what we’re doing.
I agree, kinda like rock=climbing, when a climber falls and is killed, they died doing what they wanted. It's called a calculated risk.

According to the article the Jeep was rented from Colorado West Jeep rentals and tours.
Fehd was a driver/guide for Colorado West Jeep Rentals and Tours.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 03:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Unfortunately, adventure comes with risks. It is sad that injuries/death can be part of those risks. It's not the first...won't be the last loss of life in this pursuit. That road between Ouray and Telluride is one of the most spectacular scenic roads we've ever driven, and I hope we can do it again, only in the opposite direction.

Years ago, a geologist drove his Jeep onto one of the Gemini Bridges arches in Canyonlands NP. He put the Jeep in the wrong gear and backed over the edge to the floor below.

IIRC, there was no one in this Jeep when it went over the side...it happens - be careful out there and know your limitations.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Wonder why the guide wasn’t driving? Driven the Jeep and motorcycles over those pass many times. Not that technical, just have to pay attention.
The guide WAS the driver. He's described in other articles as being a "quirky conversationalist". I would guess he wasn't giving the tour his full attention or this late in season, perhaps hit an icy patch. An experienced guide shouldn't have gone off the side on this road.

CR361 which is mentioned isn't a technical road. It's only 5 miles long but does lead to more advanced drives - Yankee Boy Basin and Imogene Pass but only CR361 is mentioned.

It's suitably wide as 4x4 roads go - even two lanes in the beginning miles but going down to one lane which is typical for 4x4 roads. It's not a boulder-hopping drive.

In winter it's a popular area for ice climbers on the cliffs.

It's a beautiful drive, especially in Fall. We've done it often which took us beyond the road to Yankee Boy and Imogene.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:15 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
CR361 is the Imogene Pass road. It runs from Telluride, past the Tomboy Mine and over Imogene Pass to the Camp Bird Mine road into Ouray. It is a technical road in some areas and is heavily traveled. We did not go over it this year but did last year and there were some areas that were a bit sketchy. We were on Ophir Pass road into Telluride a week ago and there was no ice or cold enough for any yet.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I've driven that road many times and there are many places where it is a single lane shelf road. Any small error can be disastrous. I would consider a Jeep Gladiator to be a pretty large vehicle in many spots.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
About the Gladiator, do you mean "pretty large" in terms of length, or width, or both?

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 01:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexlion View Post
About the Gladiator, do you mean "pretty large" in terms of length, or width, or both?
It's been a while, and I might be wrong, but I don't remember there being switchbacks or many sharp turns on that road. There are narrow spots though, and since this accident involved going off the side, figure "pretty large" would mean width.

Shorter and narrower vehicles are usually better, sometimes necessary, on Colorado mountain trails.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:11 PM   #13

The accident was on Camp Bird Rd. That is the road out of Ouray that leads to Imogene. It is a very good road. I could drive my camper out to the mine. I do not know if we will ever know why an experienced, professional, driver crashed where he did. RIP to all involved.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 02:14 PM   #14

Monday’s accident marked the second deadly crash in the area in just a week. On Sept. 5, an Arizona man was killed and his wife was injured when their ATV rolled hundreds of feet near Imogene Pass
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado, driver, jeep, led