Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #29

None of the premium tables in note 2 include The Peoples Republic of New York. It also, doesn't reference NY in any of the footnotes that I could find. The premiums stated sound extremely low to me. 2016 silver plan for my wife and I (57 & 56) were $9204 without a subsidy, and a nice low deductible of $6000 each $12000 combined. Every bill that we received was applied to the deductible. The insurance company paid nothing. We paid a lot of money to be able to get a card.
TheQuades is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2017, 10:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuades View Post
None of the premium tables in note 2 include The Peoples Republic of New York. It also, doesn't reference NY in any of the footnotes that I could find.
Idaho and NY aren't included. It's in a footnote you missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuades View Post
The premiums stated sound extremely low to me. 2016 silver plan for my wife and I (57 & 56) were $9204 without a subsidy, and a nice low deductible of $6000 each $12000 combined. Every bill that we received was applied to the deductible. The insurance company paid nothing. We paid a lot of money to be able to get a card.
You missed this, too, above the premium list -- "based on a 2015 Bronze-level plan for a 40-year-old non-smoker"
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Kind of thinking someone who thinks he can retire at 54 must have made plans years ago to live the life style he picks for the rest of his days
Yes, some of us "did" start planning early. I started in my middle teens. Have always known what ever I did in life I would retire before age 55. Up until maybe 10-12 years ago, health care was never an issue. Our retirees had the same great health care plan as the working guy...We paid $0..What happened ??????

Yes, I choose to retire at 53, knowing very clearly health care was going to be huge issue going forward. The alternative was working another 15 -20 years as many of my co-workers "must do" because of pricey pre-Medicare health care and "other" financial reasons. Retirement (crappy) healthcare costs me almost 50% of my pension.

There were some pension rules that changed 2-3 years ago that remaining co-workers must now work till at least 62 and newer co-workers till 65...

The type of work we did, wore the body down...I just didn't want to end up couch bound. We have a whole lot of country to see...Still like to golf, ski, hike, kayak.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I love the removal of the 'tax penalty' for not purchasing insurance...
I'm saying if I was ever for requiring people to have insurance in the first place. Yes, younger people think they are invincible,
~"I'll never get sick"
~ "My children never get sick"
~" I'll never break my leg requiring 3 different surgeries to fix" ~"Only old people get Diatribes
~ I'm a sub-contractor and blew out my back "Sorry, you can't claim workers comp because you should have had insurance.

So before ACA the UN-insured would run up big hospital bills just claim bankruptcy. Who pays...the responsible people who have insurance, who always paid to be insured. Not in a direct way, but indirectly thru higher fees and taxes for those who didn't pay their obligations. Maybe that is the New American way.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I'm saying if I was ever for requiring people to have insurance in the first place. Yes, younger people think they are invincible,
~"I'll never get sick"
~ "My children never get sick"
~" I'll never break my leg requiring 3 different surgeries to fix" ~"Only old people get Diatribes
~ I'm a sub-contractor and blew out my back "Sorry, you can't claim workers comp because you should have had insurance.

So before ACA the UN-insured would run up big hospital bills just claim bankruptcy. Who pays...the responsible people who have insurance, who always paid to be insured. Not in a direct way, but indirectly thru higher fees and taxes for those who didn't pay their obligations. Maybe that is the New American way.
The one fact that seems to have escaped most of the reporting on the ACA is how many people LOST their health insurance or had their insurance basically become useless because of the ACA. Premiums have shot up at astronomical rates and deductibles have effectively removed health insurance for all but the most catastrophic of illnesses for many. We pay 100% of the insurance for all of our employees but that is getting to be harder and harder to do. Our costs for high deductible plans with Health Savings Accounts is over $1,200 a month for families so that becomes a pretty sizable nut to crack.

Insurance is a spreading of risk and most of the risk associated with the ACA got pushed onto the middle class in the form of those higher premiums and deductibles. Effectively it became a back door tax increase on the middle class.

I don't have an answer for what we are seeing in the government involvement in health insurance. My own experience tells me that once government got involved everything was going to be way more expensive. It seems like 90% of the new construction here in our area is for medical facilities. To add to that issue we are seeing fewer and fewer sole practitioners in medicine. It will be interesting to see how everything shakes out. No doubt there will be winners and losers for whatever becomes the new health insurance laws.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
The one fact that seems to have escaped most of the reporting on the ACA is how many people LOST their health insurance or had their insurance basically become useless because of the ACA. Premiums have shot up at astronomical rates and deductibles have effectively removed health insurance for all but the most catastrophic of illnesses for many.
+1

A couple months ago I had a heart stent, the negotiated price in round numbers was $28,500.

I pay in round numbers for my wife and I $1,950. a month for a plan that has $7,200. each out of pocket, then my insurance pays 100%. This year we will pay $23,400. in premiums plus my $7,200. comes to $30,600. out of pocket. I could have paid for my stent and saved $2,100.

I realize that I or my wife *could have* more issues this year, don't forget she has to pay another $7,200. if god forbid there is a medical issue.

Plus take the last three years with nothing but well check ups, even at $1,700. average per month for the past three years I could have had an additional $61,200. nest egg, plus what that money could have earned in 36 months.

Something has to be done to correct this!

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My wish is that they would allow people 50 and over to buy Medicare. That would solve the problem for anyone wanting to early retire, assuming the costs were age based and affordable.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
My wish is that they would allow people 50 and over to buy Medicare. That would solve the problem for anyone wanting to early retire, assuming the costs were age based and affordable.

That's all well and good, but you do have to realize that Medicare is also facing some very harsh financial realities in the coming years. All of the forms of government subsidized health plans are going to be facing some very severe shortfalls which will have a profound effect on all who have Medicare and any form of government sponsored or subsidized health coverage.

The theory behind the ACA was that it was not morally acceptable for many to be without health coverage. The ACA reality is that it is incredibly expensive and unwieldy to provide health coverage for all.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #38

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help" LMAO
Old 05-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
If Trump would sign a Executive Order ending ALL health insurance for ALL elected official's when their term ends..........they would get something put together in a hurry that would be good for all OF US
Old 05-22-2017, 02:46 PM   #40
Community Administrator

Let's please keep this thread about the topic without getting into specific politics as our Community Rules do not permit this.

"General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of iRV2. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive."

Thanks for understanding
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #41

You can complain about the government all you want, but if you want to talk winners and losers, look at this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/liyanch.../#57fd61d06b73

The health care industry in the US has been the most profitable, far and away, of any sector of our economy. Next is the financial sector, which includes insurance. The US Congress, for whatever reason, pretty well made sure that Obamacare would falter and fail, and that the Health Care sector would continue to have the highest profit margins.