Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 10:57 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Obesity and RV life

How do you keep fit while on the road. Highway butt seems to be an expanding problem!
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 11:54 PM   #2

Same way as in a sticks and bricks. Eat healthy foods and exercise. A half hour brisk walk done with consistency is all it takes.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:57 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your dog is fat you are not getting enough exercise.

Walk, on a regular basis as far as you can. Eat less, eat right.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:01 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been looking at changing our diet while camping. I had a heart attack the Friday after Easter wile working on the trailer electrical. On top of this I am diabetic and the diet is rather restrictive. I lost 40 lbs and wife lost about the same amount and we have learned how to cook camp food in a much more diet friendly way. Boondocking on the north shore of Lake Superior for eight days the grill was used a lot for such things such as shish-kabobs skinless chicken marinated cut up and frozen added to vegetables (peppers onions... last a long time refrigerated).
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Springer and a Pointer, They keep us active (or else)
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #6

Walk..walk...walk and Zumba DVD's! Walking is not only great exercise but it's also a way to socialize, meet wonderful people, check out Rv's and their setups. Taking walks with our dogs is one of our favorite pastimes when camping. As far as eating...just because you are on the road doesn't mean that you can't eat healthy.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #7

Carolina Campers
Biking, walking, swimming, hiking, Wii, etc. A body in motion stays in motion... There are several types of healthy diets. We have tried many.... Simply coking your own food is many times more healthy than eating out all the time. We have been vegetarians, vegans, Zone, etc. We lost some weight, but those diets never lowered our total cholesterol levels. We are now on the Paleo diet. Lost more weight, but the best part is that my total cholesterol has dropped for the first time from 201 to 169. Happy and really like the diet.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Biking, walking, swimming, hiking, Wii, etc. A body in motion stays in motion... There are several types of healthy diets. We have tried many.... Simply coking your own food is many times more healthy than eating out all the time.
Totally agree. No different than when at home in the S&B. Traveling this way allows us to maintain our healthy lifestyle while on the road. After all, we are really home, just in a different location. We also make good use of the pools and exercise rooms at the parks when available.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Make Life Changing Decisions

I am not severely overweight 70" 200 lbs but have a stocky build. 36" belt. I am type ll dibetic with HBP. I decided I had to take off more weight and set goals.

Those goals are 1. Taking off more weight
2. Cutting back or even eliminating RX meds.

Interestingly I own a mowing business and even though I have sulky riders for the big mowers, I elect to walk behind them. So for about 7 months out of the year my blood sugars and blood pressures have been very good. That has been the case for at least 5 years.

I do journal my readings so I can see how everything factors in.
Also, in past I had such good readings I pretty much ate what ever I wanted, when I wanted. Perhaps not a good decision. This Nov/Dec my numbers started to sky rocket. Thus, I made the decision exercise and diet are vitally important if I want to live and enjoy retirement.

I am not a big fan of pharmaceutical drugs as they have effects on your body as well so cutting back or even eliminating them all together are goals I have in mind.

I know it may sound difficult but exercise is VERY important. Start out small with manageable steps. Make yourself a list of what you want to do. Mine starts with Stretching, Jumping Jacks, Stair Climbing, Sit Ups, Push Ups, Lifting some small weights and then a walk with the dog. Remember start small. Even if it is only two sit ups a day every day, next week try 3. If it is too much stay at 2 until you can make it to 3. Know your limitations but make it achievable and get moving!

There are also some really knowledgeable nutritionists and health food experts out there that can guide you in better choices for eating and supplement use.

My condition did not happen overnight and the same is true for turning it around so get started and don't give up. You can do it!!

Blessings to you and good luck! Jim
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #10

Easier said than done, but easy once you develop good habits.

Quit the fast & processed foods.

Reduce your meat and carb intake.

Eat more fresh fruit & vegetables (dice some apple or celery in place of Cheetos, Pretzels & corn chips)

I've quite eating most products that come in a can, box or a bag. And have returned to basics: fresh fruits, fresh vegetables (easy to steam or eat raw), fresh potatoes, beans, and rice. Raw nuts in moderation.

Our bodies need more water, less sugar and never needed corn syrup.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We try to walk after every meal and snack, even if it's just a few hundred yards. We usually get in more than a mile every day.

We're also vegetarians.
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All this is good advice and counsel. But other than the obvious health benefits usually we need some incentive or motivation. I just lost twenty pounds and will lose another seventeen to get to my "fighting weight". But I struggled for a long time. Food, good food was the issue, I ate too much. My exercise routine was pretty regular and involved walking (I have a Springer Spaniel), but I just ate too much. My wife is a great cook and we have snacks all over the place, handy, to handy.

After seeing a picture of myself on a recent trip I was whining to a friend of mine about my weight. He said he was over weight as well so "put your money where your mouth is" . He bet me $200 I could not lose the twenty pounds. Well evidently losing $200. is more painful to me than losing twenty pounds. I won the bet and he paid, I'll tear up the check, he is a friend after all.

At the outset of this bet I was worried about whether I could do this or not. My son bought me a Fitbit. A wrist device that records daily activity and can track your vitals as well as calories and the food you eat and sleep etc. It is not a toy but it is also not a scientific instrument but it was helpful and I still wear it and up date it daily. It was fun and a real help. Still is. I access it from my iPhone and our PC.

The upshot is I traded my 44 inch waist pants for some 38's and when I am down to my final weight I will be a 36. Not a bad result, B/P 110/65 last check.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #13

We get our new RV next week and are a member of 24hr fitness they have 400 locations across the US. You can work out and take a long shower! We will map out some on the road.
Retiredcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
Easier said than done, but easy once you develop good habits. Quit the fast & processed foods. Reduce your meat and carb intake. Eat more fresh fruit & vegetables (dice some apple or celery in place of Cheetos, Pretzels & corn chips) I've quite eating most products that come in a can, box or a bag. And have returned to basics: fresh fruits, fresh vegetables (easy to steam or eat raw), fresh potatoes, beans, and rice. Raw nuts in moderation. Our bodies need more water, less sugar and never needed corn syrup.
Couldn't have said it better.