Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Off road towed

Hi
dos anyone here go off road driving with their towed? We have towed a 4 wheel vehicles for a couple of years and love the ability to get around the national and other parks on the legal dirt roads. There are a lot of places like Peekaboo Canyon that can only be reached that way. We also use ours when on the Outer Banks to get to the best surf beaches from the National campgrounds.

The current car is a '01 Jeep Cherokee fully stock except for slightly larger tires to raise it a bit and give more traction. It is also our daily driver. We are not the ones that go roaring around where we don't belong or in sensitive areas. We get permits. We mainly use dedicated roads on public lands though we do have a habit of visiting the big white letters that Western towns like to put on the sides of mountains.

Are there others here that do this? Where do you find out about roads? Where do you like to go? We are in Tombstone AZ right now and yes we visited the big T on the hill. We heard about a large area called Sheep's Head that we are looking for. There are tons of dirt roads with no real destination. It would be fun to hear from you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09596.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	330591   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09648.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	330592  

Name:	20210218_154212.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	330593  
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2021, 08:11 PM   #2

We have a 2000 Cherokee. They are great vehicles and are built to last. I still have not set up mine to tow yet, but it's on my list of things to do!
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Take a look at trailsoffroad.com
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:17 PM   #4

That is pretty much how we determine where to boondock. We look for trail systems to ride. Our "towed" is not quite the same as yours though.

Our primary resource for riding information, along with property ownership, weather, fire activity and a ton of other information is https://www.onxmaps.com This also allows us to log or trips and create markers of places we would like to get to. Maps can be used on and offline.

It is a fee program, however they frequently have 30% discount codes.

On the attached map you can see some markers. The blue lines are where we have rode with tracking on. The purple lines are MVUM from the forest service and has all the details about that road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 8.13.19 PM.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	330620   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDT Combo.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	330621  

Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:36 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
We have been off roading in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, etc for at least 40 years. We love the Ouray/Silverton area but it has become so crowded with ORVs and Jeeps it's not much fun any more. Our current Wrangler Sahara is not as tricked out as some but still has a lift kit, steel bumpers and a winch we hope to never have to use.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:58 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
We have a 2000 Cherokee. They are great vehicles and are built to last. I still have not set up mine to tow yet, but it's on my list of things to do!

It is easy to set up. Good cars. Pay attention to the cooling system and add a trans cooler for good measure. Be careful to put the key into the unlocked position and all will be well. Ours is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Newsomes View Post
Take a look at trailsoffroad.com

Thanks, I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
That is pretty much how we determine where to boondock. We look for trail systems to ride. Our "towed" is not quite the same as yours though.

Our primary resource for riding information, along with property ownership, weather, fire activity and a ton of other information is https://www.onxmaps.com This also allows us to log or trips and create markers of places we would like to get to. Maps can be used on and offline.

It is a fee program, however they frequently have 30% discount codes.

On the attached map you can see some markers. The blue lines are where we have rode with tracking on. The purple lines are MVUM from the forest service and has all the details about that road.

What a rig! Yes, that side by side will go over things Jeeps can't for sure. We did drive to the Peekaboo Canyon near Kanab without a problem though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
We have been off roading in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, etc for at least 40 years. We love the Ouray/Silverton area but it has become so crowded with ORVs and Jeeps it's not much fun any more. Our current Wrangler Sahara is not as tricked out as some but still has a lift kit, steel bumpers and a winch we hope to never have to use.

My Brother lived in Montrose for a while and we did a lot of off roading there and near Ouray. He used a big older Ford 2wd van and drove it up mountains via stream beds. Some folks just have the touch. We also went out on those small 4wheel bikes a lot there. Great area. We are not at all tricked out, just well maintained and larger AT tires. We aren't looking to creep or anything, just want to go to less seen places.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Hi
dos anyone here go off road driving with their towed? We have towed a 4 wheel vehicles for a couple of years and love the ability to get around the national and other parks on the legal dirt roads. There are a lot of places like Peekaboo Canyon that can only be reached that way. We also use ours when on the Outer Banks to get to the best surf beaches from the National campgrounds.

The current car is a '01 Jeep Cherokee fully stock except for slightly larger tires to raise it a bit and give more traction. It is also our daily driver. We are not the ones that go roaring around where we don't belong or in sensitive areas. We get permits. We mainly use dedicated roads on public lands though we do have a habit of visiting the big white letters that Western towns like to put on the sides of mountains.

Are there others here that do this? Where do you find out about roads? Where do you like to go? We are in Tombstone AZ right now and yes we visited the big T on the hill. We heard about a large area called Sheep's Head that we are looking for. There are tons of dirt roads with no real destination. It would be fun to hear from you.
We have two Jeeps but this is the one we use to go four wheeling all over the west and southwest. I also lifted our Trailhawk and put larger tires on it but my TJ is more fun. With a winch, front & rear lockers, 4" lift and 4:56 gears turning 33" tires, it goes pretty much anywhere. Oregon coast and British Columbia have the best trails.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150629_194417193_iOS.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	330657  
Old 06-03-2021, 04:15 PM   #8

We have a Rubicon JK and spend a lot of time in the Rockies exploring with it. Usually camp at a campground close to the area we want to explore. Sometimes we know where we are going and other times we just look for decomissioned logging roads. Great scenery and lots of wildlife. Just need to be careful not to get into trouble when by ourselves. We have had to use the winch a few times but nothing too crazy.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #9

We tow one or the other of these for now, but hopefully a new Bronco is in our future if I can talk the DW into trading in her Mustang convertible.

Name:	IMG_2055.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	530.0 KB
ID:	330698

Name:	IMG_2684.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	483.2 KB
ID:	330699
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:56 AM   #10

You are close to one of our favorite back roads to explore. Try Ruby Road,,, it is just above Rio Rico, off of Rt 19 and it goes west for about 30 miles. Some beautiful scenery, water crossings and in the distance you might see the Border Patrol with their big antennas set up. Take binoculars along,,, we loved that road. We always did it in a Honda CRV, so your Jeep won’t have any trouble.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyboy View Post
You are close to one of our favorite back roads to explore. Try Ruby Road,,, it is just above Rio Rico, off of Rt 19 and it goes west for about 30 miles. Some beautiful scenery, water crossings and in the distance you might see the Border Patrol with their big antennas set up. Take binoculars along,,, we loved that road. We always did it in a Honda CRV, so your Jeep won’t have any trouble.

Wow! Just our kind of drive. Thanks. I also see that there is a campground near Nogales to leave the RV and cat plugged in while we explore. We are used to seeing a lot of Border patrol but I have noticed that they seem scarce this year.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:25 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyboy View Post

We are leaving Tombstone next week and plan to go explore Ruby ROad. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I wonder if this could be a sticky or even a topic of its own under the Camping, Routes and Trip Planning banner where we could post our fav roads or areas. I think it would be popular.
Old 06-27-2021, 12:03 PM   #14

Out west we went on a dirt road in our Honda CRV AWD. It was rough and I had to thread my way carefully until I came to a Jeep stuck on the road. He was high centered on a large rock and he couldn't go front wards or backwards.

He said "I've been trying to get off the rock for the past hour, could you give me a tow?" He had a rope and I tied it to the front Honda hooks and gently pulled him backwards off the rock! Afterwards he proceeded to alter his course and got to the top, as we did in our Honda!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towed