Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Never saw anything like that WOW, I wonder why they just didn't drive it down the HWY?
We had a Diamond Reo for a yard truck when I worked in a steel siding shop boy what a hoot.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #30

That is the way the large haul trucks are moved to the mines here in northern Minnesota. That picture looks like it was on hwy 169 close to Hibbing, Mn, but I don't know that for sure. Here is a picture very similar to the old freightshaker I drove for IT. Mine didn't have the fenders or aluminum wheels on the rear axles either.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I drove for this old boy hauling logs and pulpwood, the first truck everyone had to drive when hired was the MUD truck, a White constructor triaxle straight job with a naturally aspirated 220 cummins and a 10 spd. one day DOT stopped me for a weigh up, I didn't have the power to get on the scales, the trooper stood on the running board so I could get a running start and he told when to stop, after all that I was loaded with spruce so I was light, he was pee oood.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
More Old Truckers?

I ran my own trucks most of my adult life and some of my unadult life , borrowed my older brothers proof when I was 17 , went to Florida and got my commercial license down there. Learned the ropes by a guy in the Brooksville , Fl area hauling hay and cattle. He lived in a mobile home and used to pull a Craftsman little air compressor out of his shed , air up his old Freightliner and pull start it with his Volkswagen, "couldn't afford batteries", lol! Met him in a truckstop and he picked me up , told him I was a driver, he let me drive and when I missed a couple shifts he just reached over and slapped me in the head and told me he'd teach me but don't tear up his only truck. I paid attention and got good at it, but he never had enough money to really pay me, it was cool, learned a lot! Especially when we hauld a double deck cattle trailer and had to go twenty miles to another ranch to switch them from the top to the bottom, scared the crap out of me seeing the trailer tires rising off the ground going to fast around a curve! Got rid of my last 2 trucks in 2000, was doing ok running my 1986 IH Eagle Doublebunk COE had a 400 Cat 15 over airride all aluminum budds, got stupid and bought a 1987 GMC General same setup, couldn't get anyone reliable to drive so things got ugly. Got out , miss it alot but think we will do fine with our new/old 1988 Chieftain, towing our 1990 Dakota Convertible pickup we bought new in 1990 and hopefully get a nice motorcycle to put in the back of the pickup! Keep the Shiny Side Up! Bob
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Cooperhawk, Those were some great old tractors from days gone by....Thanks.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My Brother drove for Pamida in the 70's. I did a sidekick trip from Omaha to International Falls & points between. After 100 miles I decided that this was the life.

Later leaning that we slept upright in the non sleeper unit for 3 days changed my mind. It was January and wasn't much fun.

That was Pamida, better companies were likely better to drive for.
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
Cooperhawk, Those were some great old tractors from days gone by....Thanks.
Okay, here's some more.

https://www.google.com/search?q=old+...w=1440&bih=743
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
An old trucker with too much time on his hands.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/massive...ons&soc_trk=ma
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:08 AM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Those are some great Pic's and then some not so great...
Thanks for sharing,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Learned to drive in a chain drive divco..had many trucks over years sold out in 2010 when wife had a stroke. Now spend most of my time chasing the weather on west coast. Faverite truck was 1981 359 Pete with v8cat and twin sticks
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Another site for endless truck pictures Just google Hanks truck pictures. There are links to Canadian and US truck lines and scores of other related pictures.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #40

My step-son drives OTR-long haul. He told me he's seen a lot_of signs pointing to something interesting. He can hardly wait until he gets off the road so he can take his family to see what's beyond those signs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My step-son drives OTR-long haul. He told me he's seen a lot_of signs pointing to something interesting. He can hardly wait until he gets off the road so he can take his family to see what's beyond those signs.
I know that feeling....... Hopefully I can afford to go see them now!
Old 01-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
They remind me of the Diamond T's I use to drive and took two hands to shift.
I "learned" in a 66 Diamond T, in a year I went into a Freightliner with a 600 Cummins. Hauled new furniture from NC to west coast, produce back to Hunts Point,NY running single for 7 years. Made 49 rounds in one year and averaged 47 trips per year. I still have the horn button from the Diamond T on my steering wheel of my American Coach! All total......5 million miles with no co-driver, no accidents, lot's of driver license (over 20 at times)! A "big motorhome " is a big sluggish car.