Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Open Flask Laws

I was taking the MH to get the oil changed and chassis lubed today. Checked the fridge before leaving the house and saw a partially consumed bottle of wine so I put is in the drawer so it wouldn't fall over and break.

On the way to get the oil changed I think to my self, Self? If you got pulled over would the Ohio LEO's consider that bottle of wine to fall under the Open Flask Laws?

Anyone know anything about this?
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #2

If it were me, I would contact Ohio law enforcement folks and inquire if and how State Statutes and/or local ordinances governing open alcohol containers would apply to motorized recreational vehicles.

Good luck and keep us posted..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #3

When was the last time you saw a MoHo pulled over, being searched, hauling the driver away.....worry, worry, worry...carry on
Old 08-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
You are confusing my interest with worry. I am not really worried about it but it would be worthwhile to understand.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Just perused a few of the police forums on the subject and the consensus is first, that if the container is in storage in the living area it is #1 not an open container and #2 not subject to the regulation. As far as actually having an open container in the living area with passengers partaking, some states allow it and some do not.

Check FL Statute 316.1936(5)(c)
The open container statute does not apply to "A passenger of a self-contained motor home which is in excess of 21 feet in length."
The passengers can drink while the motor home is in operation.

per Ohio Revised Code 4301.62, you can't do it in Ohio unless it is a Chauffeured limousine. In order for a vehicle to be registered as a limousine in Ohio, it must be registered as a Livery vehicle. pretty sure your motorhome is not going to apply.

PA just passed an open container law here. It prohibits the possession of open alcoholic beverage container by the driver or passengers. The exceptions for passengers are; on buses, taxis, limousines and persons in the living quarters of a house coach (RV) or house trailer (travel trailer).
Old 08-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
So even if the cap has been cracked open leave it in the fridge and all is well.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
So even if the cap has been cracked open leave it in the fridge and all is well.

This has been discussed here quite a few times and that is the general consensus.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #8

Cracked Cap should result in being emptied then it doesn't matter, jmo, lol
Old 08-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Cracked Cap should result in being emptied then it doesn't matter, jmo, lol
But if you empty it, how do you drive then?
Old 08-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Just between you and me, DW bought it and opened it, I don't like it and keep not drinking it but can't get her to throw it away. Maybe I will water a plant with it!!!!!!

Shhhhhh, don't tell her!!!!!!!
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In most states they sort of divide the motor home into two sections.

Cockpit and house

Cockpit is same as your car, You have an open bottle of booze, you (in most states) will have a problem.

House.. Is your castle and they can not search without a warrant. EVEN then if they found an open bottle in a cabinet or fridge you'd be safe.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
In most states they sort of divide the motor home into two sections.

Cockpit and house

Cockpit is same as your car, You have an open bottle of booze, you (in most states) will have a problem.

House.. Is your castle and they can not search without a warrant. EVEN then if they found an open bottle in a cabinet or fridge you'd be safe.
X2 That what I was going to say!

Been discussed here many times and the above seems to be the general consensus.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
When was the last time you saw a MoHo pulled over, being searched, hauling the driver away.....worry, worry, worry...carry on
Yup
Old 08-20-2015, 11:32 PM   #14

The open container laws are all over the place. Example A: In 2001 on a motorcycle trip to Sturgis and around the area after and on the way back to Seattle. We were camped in Greybull Wy. and I rode into town to pick up a 12pk and some ice. I pulled into a 7-11 and was told that you had to buy beer at the drive thru at a local bar. So I'm in the drive thru on my bike and get the beer and ice put it in the saddle bags when the attendant says "Do you want one to Go" !!! So now I'm riding down the main drag on my bike (1956 HD) Beer and Ice in the bags, No Helmet and Drinking a Beer! Had I been back in Seattle I'd be lucky not to get Shot. Location, Location, Location.