Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #15

Right on, Conesus1. Hey, that even rhymes!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2020, 09:23 AM   #16

I'm 57, joined AARP this year. Lots of email and snail mail that I'm slowly culling back. Haven't used it yet but as I only just joined I haven't taken my card out for a spin. Personally I don't see a down side to membership, but as they say, YMMV.

If you really want to stir up the cranky old men hanging out on this site, ask about taxes. Then sit back with your popcorn and enjoy the show.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conesus1 View Post
Oh so this is all about political stances whether you like AARP or not.

So saving money on things you'll let ride all because of the lobbying efforts.

I use every mean I can to save a buck and for the cost, like stated in this thread you get more back than you put in, seems like a win.

On the political end.
Were all screwed.
One side makes the rich richer on my dime. The other makes the poor better off on my dime. Either way I lose so making what bucks I have left go farther is where I'm at.

At current both side are against the foundation our forefathers ideals. Like religion, the politics of this nation are keying on loopholes to gain what THEY want and not representing what the PEOPLE want. The whole shabang should be scrapped and started all over again.

Ultimately,We all vote according to to our wallets.....

But off politics and back to AARP. It has been 4 years since I was last a member. I perused their discounts and Insurance offerings this past hour and there is little they offer that is of current value to me personally. The Hartford won’t generate a home or rv insurance for my zip code, possibly because I’m in a high risk weather zone. I don’t eat at Denny’s. Seldom do we stay at a hotels and I get those same discounts from other organizations. The car rental 30% off may be of interest since we don’t pull a towed and occasionally we rent a car for a week or 3. Too young for medicare supplements.

If you are getting more out than you are putting in, I’m not gonna argue with your success.[emoji106]
Old 02-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #18

Ohio has a Buckey card discount system.
But
Nobody has ask for a card, AAA
Buckey or good Sams and others for 10 years or so traveling now.
They just say.
No, Dont need to see your card.
You gat the Seniors discount anyway.
10 to 20 percent.
I like

But
We must look our Age [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji6][emoji16][emoji41]

So what the heck anyhow??? [emoji6]
Old 02-25-2020, 06:38 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I do not believe they help the odver 55 crowd near as much as they make money on all the things the tell you are benifits. That is their primary reson for being there. Line their own pockets and tell me how to vote and spend money backing politicians.
Of course this is jut my opinion.....
Old 02-26-2020, 10:52 PM   #20

Question What about AARP is too "liberal"

They advocate for seniors. They're non-partisan. They don't advocate for candidates or parties. They are a 501c4 NON-PROFIT organization. Nobody's pockets are being stuffed. Is helping seniors live better lives anathema to one party or another?
Old 02-29-2020, 11:16 PM   #21

Oh, God. I joined AARP and was a member for about 2 years, until I realized they made their real money by selling your name and address to a whole bunch of companies. I couldn't believe the amount of junk mail I got. It took a couple more years for my mailbox to return to normal after I canceled the membership. I did save on a couple Hotel rooms but discovered I could get the same discount by asking for the senior rate. Never again.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:29 PM   #22

My wife signed me up. So far we've more than recovered the cost in various savings. I get some emails which are easy to delete and snail mail that usually goes straight into may recycle bin. Not good or bad either way.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #23

Sign-up for AARP, but use someone else's name, address, email, and phone number. Pick someone you're "Really-Fond-Of..."
Old 03-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #24

AARP used to be worth 'something' when they mailed out those look alike AARP membership cards. You could flash one for a discount at various places. No one ever looks carefully at those cards. Otherwise they are just another insurance company which seems to act in opposition to the welfare of their members.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #25

There are better, more middle ground groups. AARP is a business. I do enjoy their magazine but that's it
Old 03-05-2020, 03:31 PM   #26

Post OK, getting back to the original subject...

... and away from all this political ranting.

We've been AARP members for 7 years now. I don't know what the junk mail is that others have referred to. The only mail we get from them is the two magazines (one glossy, and one newsprint), and we enjoy reading both of them.

As for discounts, we occasionally get 10% discounts at campgrounds and attractions, but that's about all we ever use. But AARP membership is so cheap, we definitely feel we're getting our money's worth.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #27

Doesn’t apply to the OP but I get my Medicare supplement insurance via AARP. Many of the other benefits target a different demographic.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:31 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thread warning

Many political posts have been removed. The OP asked a reasonable question and deserves the chance to receive feedback. Don't be the one that gets this thread closed by discussing politics.
Closed Thread