Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2007, 08:22 PM   #1

My coach is 46 feet and I tow so I am 62 feet. We are planning to drive from Lincoln City, OR, down the coast to Crescent City, CA. Any driving tips or road problems I should know about?

Toetag

2005 Haulmark Motorcoach
toetag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:22 PM   #2

My coach is 46 feet and I tow so I am 62 feet. We are planning to drive from Lincoln City, OR, down the coast to Crescent City, CA. Any driving tips or road problems I should know about?

Toetag

2005 Haulmark Motorcoach
toetag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You're okay down to Crescent City. Actually, you're okay down to Eureka. If you head south from Eureka you'll run into problems because California has a 40' RV limit on US-101 around Garberville. Also, if you head east from Crescent City through Jedediah Smith State Park you'll run into that limit. We ran everywhere with a 40' Bus pulling a toad last summer but now with the 42' Bus we are limited in certain areas. Check out the California Bus and Motorhome Map link for more details. It's a nice scenic drive and you won't have any issues making it with your combo.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:33 AM   #4

It's getting to the point where we may stop going to California. It's too hard to keep up with all the laws. Last time we were there we got a ticket for driving 70 on the freeway near Barstow.

A friend who is registered in Montana got a fine for not getting some kind of fuel permit, becasue he has a corp or LLC they say he is a business and needs the permit. The picked him up at the fruit inspection station.

Even though we are a 40 foot motor home my bike lift extends us another 4 feet. I had no idea that I would not be able to drive down the coast from Oregon.

Thanks for the information I'll take another route and I guess in the future we'll limit or eliminate our travel into CA.

Michael
2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Vegascpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Even though we are a 40 foot motor home my bike lift extends us another 4 feet. I had no idea that I would not be able to drive down the coast from Oregon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The 40" law in cali is to stop large vehicles from blocking the oncoming lanes. We have so many mountainous highways where you would be in the oncoming lanes in a large vehicle, you would not believe it.
I am a native Californian, I drive a 40' Monaco procuct, and there are many of our highways that I agree are too windy and narrow for large vehicles.
Highway 1, parts of 101, and many others in the state are so windy and have so many 180* and tighter turns that there is no way to stay in your own lane. The state had no choice but to limit the length of the rigs traveling on them. We simply have too much traffic on these roads to allow a rig that cannot stay in their own lane to travel on these roads.
Normally there is another road to bypass these areas. Unfortunatly, not always
I don't think that your bike lift would exclude you from traveling on roads that limit the 40'. It is the wheelbase that they are looking at. If you cannot make the curves without leaving your lane, you are not allowed on the road. The state has tried to limit those roads.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #6

SacsTC

Thanks for the information that makes sense. I've driven all the way down the Oregon coast to San Francisco before with no problem and I was about to do it again the end of August. I was thinking about an alternative, but maybe now I'll just proceed as I had planned.

I must admit that I was a little upset getting a ticket for going 70 on the freeway, but now I've started driving 60 pretty much everywhere in the motor home. I really don't think it's a bad idea. The gas milage is much better and I feel a little better about my stopping ability. When I need speed I ride my bike!

Thanks again for the clarification.

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Vegascpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:04 PM   #7

I am curious about the 40' limit near Garberville. I lived in Humboldt county for years, and was back over Christmas. There are only a couple spots that would be 'tight' with a 60' rig - they have stretched out 99% of the hair-raising stuff on 101. I saw big motorhomes and semi's on the highway coming and going. I wonder how much it is enforced? There really is no option other than to cut over to I-5 on 299 from Arcata. 40' is not a long rig - my Ford Club Wagon and PUP almost hit 38'!

If you decide to head down the coast, let me know - there are some 'don't miss' spots in the old homeland.

Todd

Addition:I was looking at the online map link listed above - all of 101 down the coast is open to motorhomes up to 45' and total rigs up to 65'- There are some scenic routes and Hwy 1 that your can't run on, but you should be fine.
dupreet is offline   Reply With Quote