Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Exactly, but RV said a permit in his state is only valid in his state.
What RV said was "If you have a permit to carry, that permit is valid only in your home state where you applied for it."

His (or the deputy's) assertion is not supported by the law he quoted. It is also an overly broad statement as it is represented to be a fact in all states.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #114

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Wa, my permit covers me in 38 states, it's easy to find the laws for each state. So far, personally, the only state I can't carry in has been Illinois, but I brought it with me.
I just looked at handgunlaw.com and as of 5/5/2012 they show 23 states as recognizing WA's permit. I also have an OR permit, it adds OR and one other state.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #115

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Ok, folks.. As it happens I am a retired police dispatcher.. I was never an officer, and thus not authorized to carry a gun, but I did read a lot.

Unlike driver's licenses, where if you can legally drive it in you home state, you are legal in all the others including Washington DC. Gun permits are not nation wide.. Just because you have a permit in say Flordia, does not mean Michigan will honor it. Or any other state.

The advice given to uniformed police officers is "Leave your home state without it" .(The gun that is).. Even if in uniform!
Retired Police Officer (if they meet certain qualifications) may carry a fire arm in all 50 states. This is a Federal law and covers ALL states and possessions.

Just for everyones info...Michigan does honor a Florida resident permit.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #116

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Wa, my permit covers me in 38 states, it's easy to find the laws for each state. So far, personally, the only state I can't carry in has been Illinois, but I brought it with me.
Must be new math...If the only state you couldn't carry in was Illinois, then that would mean that your permit was good in 49 states....

However, according to this site www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf you are good to go in 24 states with your Washington permit. You might want to consider getting a Florida non-res permit to expand your carry states. www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf .....
Old 05-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #117

Ok cb, the only state I've been to since I got my ccw that I haven't been allowed to carry in is Illinois. Sorry I wasn't specific enough. It's all about context
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #118

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Road_Trip View Post
Okay fellow RV'ers I read all the post on this issue and come to realize that mostly people are stating their "OPINIONS" and not necessarily the law. Some say that you are required to have a permit to carry and some say you don't, some say you have to have a permit to carry to go through another state. What to do and what to think? So I decided that the best answer would be found at the Sheriff's Department so that is where I started and they told me this; "You DO NOT have to have a permit to carry for a gun in your motorhome, you are covered under the law that says you can have a weapon in your home. If you have a permit to carry, that permit is valid only in your home state where you applied for it. Next, I presented the same question to the Police Department and they gave me the exact same reply as did the Sheriff's Department. My conclusion is that you DO NOT have to have a permit to carry in your motorhome as it is under "Your Home" defination and that is not an opinion. For those who have a permit to carry then in your home state you are covered to carry your weapon on your person but not required to have it in a drawer in your motorhome. I hope this clears the air on this discussion, it did for me and thankfully I decided to ask the two law enforcement agencies for the correct answer.
RV, I hate to break this to you, but asking the police dept or sheriff's dept about the meaning of a "law" is just asking for trouble. There are plenty of websites that will list the laws, or better yet, contact your attorney and go over the law on this subject with him....Also let me state that anybody that carries a firearm would be well advise to have an attorney, and to have his office and home number on your speed dial....When and if you ever have to pull the trigger your life WILL change, and the police/sheriff dept will not be your friend, so DO NOT TALK to anybody until after you talk to your lawyer. You will be so "pumped up" after a shooting that you will need to "wind down" before giving any statements to the police. Remember, anything and everything can and will be used against you if it ever goes to court.

So please know your firearm and know the laws in your state (or any state that you visit)...and be safe.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #119

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Ok cb, the only state I've been to since I got my ccw that I haven't been allowed to carry in is Illinois. Sorry I wasn't specific enough. It's all about context
Actually, depending on what route you traveled to ILL by you may have traveled thru a couple of states that don't honor WA's CCW. WY and NE are two that come to mind.

Of course ILL doesn't trust it's citizens to carry either concealed or open, and no state permits are good there.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #120

Hi All!
I was reading the "packing heat" thread and being brand to the RV world I'd like your thoughts on how safe you think traveling alone is in an RV. I might have an opportunity to be a camp ground host at my favorite national park for the summer and because of the length of time and nature of the job I plan to purchase an RV. Firearms are permitted in the park, but they aren't an option because I will have 2 kids with me.

My kids and I are seasoned tenters both in the backcountry wilderness and in campsites and we never once had an experience where we felt unsafe. I will have direct radio communications with law enforcement rangers and I tend to think (naively???) that although there will always be a few strange birds out there that things will be OK. My husband can't join me until the tail end of the summer.

I would hate to turn down this opportunity we are so looking forward to because of some fear I have and on the other hand I want to think through this carefully, especially because of my kids. Can you share your experiences, good and not-so-good? What do you do to keep safe? Many Thanks!!
adventuremom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #121

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuremom View Post
Hi All!
I was reading the "packing heat" thread and being brand to the RV world I'd like your thoughts on how safe you think traveling alone is in an RV. I might have an opportunity to be a camp ground host at my favorite national park for the summer and because of the length of time and nature of the job I plan to purchase an RV. Firearms are permitted in the park, but they aren't an option because I will have 2 kids with me.

My kids and I are seasoned tenters both in the backcountry wilderness and in campsites and we never once had an experience where we felt unsafe. I will have direct radio communications with law enforcement rangers and I tend to think (naively???) that although there will always be a few strange birds out there that things will be OK. My husband can't join me until the tail end of the summer.

I would hate to turn down this opportunity we are so looking forward to because of some fear I have and on the other hand I want to think through this carefully, especially because of my kids. Can you share your experiences, good and not-so-good? What do you do to keep safe? Many Thanks!!
I have never, ever one time, ever felt the need to brandish my weapon in self defense while RVing. Not one time. (Past performance is no guarantee of future results.)

As I said earlier in the thread, to me a firearm is just another tool. Like a fire extinguisher. If I never had occasion to use any of my tools ever again, I'd have lead a blessed and happy life. It brings me comfort to know I have the tools I need in the event I should need them. If I was traveling with my kids, I'd teach them what the fire extinguisher is for, and when it's OK to use it.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #122

Well said. I've never felt my life was in danger while rving either. Just like anything, use your head, if the area your in doesn't feel right, move on.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #123

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I have never, ever one time, ever felt the need to brandish my weapon in self defense while RVing. Not one time. (Past performance is no guarantee of future results.)
I have, and was very glad I was prepared. And, it was in my RV in a state that doesn't recognize my permit. I wasn't carrying but had it close since I was parked for the night.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #124

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
LadyFitz... those are power surges!
Hope she doesn't blow a fuse !!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #125

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That's why a lot of gun owners load their own, then no one but they get to decide who has ammo.
No ammo for you!

But you can keep the gun(s)
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #126
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
DW and I both have CWP's always carry in Motorhome.