Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #85

Yep, I believe if you have guns & kids, be sure to teach the kids about the guns do they understand the damage they can do. I always know where mine are. The ones not within my reach are locked up in the safe.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
we raised our kids with guns. they were not allowed to handle them without an adult present. they learned the correct way to handle guns, and to treat then as loaded. we even tested them by leaving an empty gun out on a counter. what did they do? the older boy guarded the gun by not letting anybody near it (not that there was anybody but mom, dad, and g'pa in the house), and he told his younger brother to get g'pa. so the younger one walked into g'pa's room and said "grampa, you left your pistol in the bathroom!" g'pa smiled and said thank you, and went and got the gun. both boys were praised for their actions.

we feel that by making something contraband, that gives it the allure of mystery. so, whenever either of the boys expressed an interest in seeing or holding a gun, they were allowed, with parental supervision. they both now enjoy shooting, and the older one owns two. the younger is not of age yet.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Road_Trip View Post
Absolutely YES! Everywhere we go I keep a 45 ACP in the bedroom and another 45 ACP in the front, would not consider leaving home without them! One bad thing though, if you go to Canada you have to leave your gun at the check point and then pick it up when you exit which means you have to exit exactly where you enter, that is a real bummer!
I check into the Canada situation and believe you can carry a shotgun with a Canadian permit for $25.00. You have to pay at the boarder but you can get the paper work on line and have it filled out before getting there. I carry a .40 caliber where ever we go and do have a permit but when we go to Alaska this June I will leave it in the gun safe and carry a short barrel shot gun. (factory made 870).
puddintang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W6ZKH

I dont know where you are getting your information, but our friends to the North do have guns, knives, clubs, etc. You might check the Police Stat's for the City of Vancouver, BC... compares to many of our large cities here with homicides, etc.
I think we are on top of the list for non third world countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

I by no mean disparage any gun owner. That is everyone's right in this country. I personally choose not to have one, I offered some information and many on here
Disputed the validity. My only reason for the link.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #89

Oh, I found plenty of statistics, but there's really no point in sharing.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #90

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm good with everybody having guns as long as I get to decide who gets Actual Ammo.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #91

I have enough for awhile. If need be I can get what I need to reload more
Old 05-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
I will put in a comment here. Guns are like any other tool in the shed. Care and caution must be exercised with any of them or death and injury will be the end result. I have been around tools of all types over the years, and of all of them, a wepon is the one I believe needs the most understanding. My children and grandchildren have a very good understanding of the rules. The last thing I would want is for one of them to be injured or to injure someone else. So the answer is I guess, Use the right tool in the right way for the reason.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #93

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Your motorhome is considered to be your home in AZ only when you are in a paid campground. If boondocking it is not you home. This is from the AZ CCW class I took in Quartzite at the RV show this year. So unless you have a CCW the gun needs to be unloaded and the ammo stored in a different location.

"Arizona has passed "Constitutional Carry." That means anyone who can legally own/purchase a firearm and is 21 or older can carry it concealed without any type of permit/license. This new law becomes effective July 29, 2010."

As you can see from the quote above AZ doesn't really have a CCW permit any more, other than for the purpose of giving you a piece of paper to use in the other states that would honor the old AZ CCW permit.

Check out the following website Handgunlaw.us/ to check on current gun laws in the states that you travel in.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #94

Always carry you never know when you have to warm things up.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #95

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, folks.. As it happens I am a retired police dispatcher.. I was never an officer, and thus not authorized to carry a gun, but I did read a lot.

Unlike driver's licenses, where if you can legally drive it in you home state, you are legal in all the others including Washington DC. Gun permits are not nation wide.. Just because you have a permit in say Flordia, does not mean Michigan will honor it. Or any other state.

The advice given to uniformed police officers is "Leave your home state without it" .(The gun that is).. Even if in uniform!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
And you need to check for update on a regular basis. New Mexico just added not accepting Texas CHL permits as Texas will issue a CHL to a legal resident of the US. New Mexico now requires you to be a citizen of the US.

Ken
Ken, where did you see this information? I checked on the NM website and as of 1 May 2012 Texas is listed as a having a reciprocal agreement with them. If it has changed since then, I would like to make sure. Thanks.
Reciprocity Agreements | New Mexico Department of Public Safety
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #97

Wa, my permit covers me in 38 states, it's easy to find the laws for each state. So far, personally, the only state I can't carry in has been Illinois, but I brought it with me.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #98

Tiffin Owners Club
Okay fellow RV'ers I read all the post on this issue and come to realize that mostly people are stating their "OPINIONS" and not necessarily the law. Some say that you are required to have a permit to carry and some say you don't, some say you have to have a permit to carry to go through another state. What to do and what to think? So I decided that the best answer would be found at the Sheriff's Department so that is where I started and they told me this; "You DO NOT have to have a permit to carry for a gun in your motorhome, you are covered under the law that says you can have a weapon in your home. If you have a permit to carry, that permit is valid only in your home state where you applied for it. Next, I presented the same question to the Police Department and they gave me the exact same reply as did the Sheriff's Department. My conclusion is that you DO NOT have to have a permit to carry in your motorhome as it is under "Your Home" defination and that is not an opinion. For those who have a permit to carry then in your home state you are covered to carry your weapon on your person but not required to have it in a drawer in your motorhome. I hope this clears the air on this discussion, it did for me and thankfully I decided to ask the two law enforcement agencies for the correct answer.
RV_Road_Trip is offline   Reply With Quote