Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Perfect size BBQ smoker for RV

Like many of you, from time to time I like to break out the BBQ and practice the art of smoking ribs, brisket, etc. all day. Nothing better than watching football games with a couple beers while tending the smoker.

Only problem is space can sometimes be an issue for the RV. So I found a couple of great explanations on how to turn a Weber Smokey Jr. in to a great little smoker

Click image for larger version

Name:	mini smoker.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	136711

I can do a couple slabs of ribs, or perhaps 6lbs of brisket in this little thing, and it takes up little precious cargo room in the MH because it's only a couple feet tall.

Instead of rewriting everything, here are a couple links on how to build it.

How To Build a Mini BBQ Smoker | Grilling Companion

Now once everyone has one, let's get together for a mini BBQ contest!

Here are the components on Amazon that you can purchase. Total of about $50.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-10020-S...ber+smokey+joe..

https://www.amazon.com/32-Quart-Alum...tamale+steamer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7439-Re...lacement+grate
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 04:49 AM   #2
paz

Texastom, that's a nice little smoker. Don't you just love being able to make your own ribs, brisket or pulled pork? Smoked shrimp is one of our favorites. They only take about 20 to 30 minutes. Balance the mild flavor of the shrimp with a mild wood like maple or cherry instead of hickory or mesquite. Serve the shrimp dipped in melted butter.

Although we're full-timers, our travels have slowed down a bit and we spend more time in one place than we used to when we first went on the road. Because of that, we have more time on our hands so we got interested in smoking about a year ago. For those who don't have the time, tools or talent to make your own smoker, the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker comes in 3 sizes. The 14" is big enough for a large turkey breast or a small whole turkey, but it's small enough to easily fit into the basement storage of our 5th wheel standing up, but those with motorhomes could probably find room if they lay it on its side. We have been carrying a 14" WSM for the past year, and we use it almost once a week.

At $200, it's a little pricey, but the WSM is one of the best, charcoal-fired, non-ceramic smokers available IMO.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:17 AM   #3

I have three smokers. I like and use my Davy Crockett the most.

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:48 AM   #4

I take 2 with me...well...kinda. I have a weber grill that I take and split that in half with foil to make a hot and cold side. I'll put my initial smoke on stuff with that and then move it to a vertical propane box to finish. These days I usually smoke everything at home and vacuum seal/freeze it then throw them in the propance box. I just thinned out some of my smokers....I'm down to 4 now from 7. I have trouble throwing things away
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
We also have the GMG Davy Crockett in the MH. Nice little grill that makes a lot of great food. Sure get the neighbors attention when ever we start smoking something!
Mjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #6

We also use a Davey Crockett. Makes great smoked meats and is small enough to fit in our 5th wheel basement.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #7

You cannot get any better than the WSM's.

Big Green Egg also makes a mini ceramic egg cooker, and again you cannot get any better than that.

There was a group of 4 camper families in our campground recently that spent the weekend outside. They were cooking on smokers all weekend, and it was the smell, not the noise, that about drove me crazy.

You cannot beat the smell of good pork barbeque being cooked.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote