Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2021, 05:55 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Pests!

The kind with 4-8 legs (not the rowdy campers next door). I've been staying in the high lakes area in So. Oregon this summer. Up in the mountains, I'm having issues with mice, but even worse, spiders - in my bed! I hate spiders more than any other creepy crawly. Why my bed? I don't seem to find them in other parts of the rig. Clean sheets are not the issue, but I do have two dogs that sleep with me. Anyone else have this issue?

The mice are getting in somewhere under the dash. I've managed to catch them with traps, but how do I keep them from getting in? I don't have rope lights; what are your thoughts on them? I hear Irish Spring is a good deterrent; I'm trying to find a package smaller than a 12 pack....

Your thoughts, advice, and suggestions are appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2021, 06:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everything I have read leads me to believe white vinegar is the best mice deterrent. I put 3 or 4 small bowls out in our RV when in storage. I put comet around the tires to stop ants, it might work for spiders if that is the way the spiders are getting in.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:11 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Mouse traps work best with pure vanilla extract in the bait traps. Live traps or kill traps, take your pick.
100% effective.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:54 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Mouse traps work best with pure vanilla extract in the bait traps. Live traps or kill traps, take your pick.
100% effective.
I would think that imitation vanilla extract would be just as effective and MUCH less expensive. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #5

Peppermint oil..
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Nothing works as a deterrent. Check with the experts. The best way is to find where they are coming in and block the opening. Any opening larger than a Quarter can let a mouse in. Get some copper steel wool and stuff the opening with that, then get spray foam and foam it in place. Otherwise, traps or poison. As for the spiders, if you can vacate the rig for a day, get a spray bomb and set it off. Apparently, there is a nest somewhere, inside.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy in CDA View Post
The mice are getting in somewhere under the dash. I've managed to catch them with traps, but how do I keep them from getting in? I don't have rope lights; what are your thoughts on them? I hear Irish Spring is a good deterrent; I'm trying to find a package smaller than a 12 pack....

Your thoughts, advice, and suggestions are appreciated.
Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1631302556145.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	342614
Irish Spring? Doesn't work so good.
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post
Attachment 342614
Irish Spring? Doesn't work so good.
Great photo! Very similar to the one shown us in our Recert classes - the part of the class where researchers told us repellents don't work. The instructor had slides showing mice and they're lack of reaction to all the popular repellents including lights. One was cute picture of a mouse curled up sleeping in a bed of shredded drier sheets. People who suggest Irish spring soap are unaware the main ingredient is FAT! So you are trying to repel them with a food source.

Do a search in the box above using the word "mice." It's a VERY common problem and the solution is unremarkable - find and seal the entry point. Wish I had an easier solution. If I had one I would have used it when doing institutional pest control. Over 90% of my foes were mice/rats, ants and stinging insects. Sounds like you already have an idea where they are coming from. Could be through your outside air intake for your heater. Other places can be where bundle of wires or hoses come into the cab. Check around pedal boots for any gaps. Anything the size of your pinkie will work.

Spiders can be tough. Young spiders can be smaller than a head of a pin, and all it takes is a female with an egg case to get in and start a family. Look for webs, or cracks nearby especially in out of the way places like corners or under the bed. If you find any webs vacuum them up and see if they return - that can help you determine where they may be setting up home. You can buy spider traps and put a few around. Spiders hunt and crawl around so will get stuck in the traps. Just don't be shocked when you find the traps accumulate quite a variety of little crawlies. People are completely unaware of just how many little things we share our houses with.

A crack and crevice spray might help. If you are near an Ace Hardware see if they have some Tempo SC-Ultra in a 1oz container. The 1 oz will last you a lifetime since it makes 60 gallons! It's virtually odorless and has residual action so it makes a great crack and crevice spray. It is low toxicity so it should be fine to use around pets. I used it because it was certified to be usable in food handling and processing facilities. Just be aware that the mix looks almost like plain water so don't judge its effectiveness by it's looks.

Have you seen the spiders or just been bitten by something? If your dogs roam around shrubs they can walk through webs and bring them in with then as can you.

Good luck. I hate spiders too!
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:49 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Leave the coach for a few hours and set off a couple of Raid Fumigators. They are non toxic to humans and animals and don't leave a residue. They create a dry "smoke" that will set off an smoke detector and work quickly to eliminate the creepy crawly pest. Just open the cabinet doors and it will get into every nook and cranny. For mice, use a trap of your choice of kill or non kill and bait them with peanut butter. I've trapped six of the buggers in the past couple of years.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 04:07 PM   #10

well I've had very good results by putting motballs in panty hose and hanging them over the tires on our motor home that is stored in our metal building .. thats how they get in they climb your tires those mothballs draped over the tires run them off,, I havent had problem in 3 years with mice .. now just make sure you drape them over the tires on the tread ( i hope I said that so you can understand the mothballs must be on the tires)
mikewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:11 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
OMG! Ha Ha Ha ! ! !
Old 09-12-2021, 02:20 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I've seen spiders and I've been bit. They are always different species. I really think they crawl through the itty bitty gaps in the window screens. If you camp in the forest like I do, there are tons of insects. If I were really that afraid of bugs, this lifestyle would not be for me. Thank you so much for your info.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:31 PM   #13

We have two cats and any little creature that gets in here is dealt with brutally, poor little grasshopper crawled up my leg this morning with every bit of energy he still had left looking for a ride outside. Didn't even have the strength to hop off when I got him to the grass, I can only imagine the horror he endured last night ��
SandS is offline   Reply With Quote