Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #1

Philippines typhoon

I can't imagine the scope of a relief effort for typhoon-ravaged Philippines islands. Getting food and supplies to over a million people seems like an almost impossible task.

How many months or years does it take for a country with this devastation to return to a near normal existence?
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
To find an answer to the "how long does it take", you need look no farther than the Jersey shore and Long Island NY. They are still devastated and still waiting for FEMA to send them the money that was promised. Take that time and multiply by 10 times at least. And without help from our Country you can multiply it by 50.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #3

Having gone through Hurricane Charlie in Florida I can for one speak to how long it takes for one family. It takes strapping on your boots and gloves and dig in. It takes standing in line to fill out forms, it takes calling insurance adjusters day after day, it takes standing in lines to get water and ice, It takes calling contractors and overseeing that the work is performed correctly and it takes time. 21 days without power in 95+ temps, almost a year before everything was repaired or replaced and longer for insurance companies to pay off. Or, you can sit back and wait for someone else to do it all for you. Life is not perfect and there are no promises. We saw women and children working long hours to help themselves and we saw those that sat back and waited for someone else to do it for them like that was what is suppose to happen. There are weather related disasters around the world, from Japans Tsunami to Hurricanse here in the USA and we all deal with them differently.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #4

Try living in Connecticut, hurricanes , tornados , blizzards, ice storms, and the highest taxes in the lower 48 (moved to Florida)
Budski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
The Philippine Weather Service said the storm was a category 4 with winds of 147MPH.

The US main stream media changed the 237 kph to mph.

The 1970 typhoon killed 500,000 people in Bangladesh and the experts at the time blamed it on global cooling.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #6

If your done ranting can we get back to the original topic?
That scope of the the Philippines disaster is mind boggling. The Philippines islands cover an area equal the entire US east of the Mississippi and nearly all of it sustained some level of destruction. I think this is going to take an international effort of unprecedented scope and will take years, perhaps decades before the country can get back to normal.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #7

This was a horrible storm, but not the worst in the planets history as claimed on TV and newspaper. That was the NY Times that changed the wind speeds from kph to mph and got this all started. CNN reported 40 ft waves went the local authorities measured 18 ft. Still a massive amount, but not as on CNN. I looked up the list of the top 35 and this didn't make it. We have had Category 5 storms hit the US. I was in the eye of Dona and Charlie, both of which were more severe. The problem is the type of construction on low lying islands close to the sea. Corrugated tin will never withstand a huge storm. The problem is they keep rebuilding in the same spots. I went down to Estero Island the day after Donna and it was essentially wiped clean. Now there are thousands of condos in the same spots. The power of storm driven water is basically unstoppable. Building codes can stop the wind damage up to a point, but nothing can stop relentless wave driving over a beach. When I see the folks in NJ rebuilding in the same spots that have had 2 worse storms since 1950, it is just crazy. The Atlantic is in a 4 decade lull in hurricanes. Most of the flood insurance is federal also so we all pay for it.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:50 AM   #8

According to the news, the U.S. is sending 1.5 million and it was also reported to be a world wide recovery effort.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #9

As stated on the news this morning, the government has stated they need help now; in another week people will be dead. The only thing I can do is donate money to the Red Cross and I have done that.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #10

They said there was nobody to pick up the bodies. 500,000 dead.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My daughter-in-law is from Iloilo and we are watching this closely. She has communicated with her family and they are all safe.

The Philippine President announced that the death toll could be much less than previously stated and added the estimates are now 2000-2500 deaths.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #12

I talked with a friend who had talked to their family in Manalia and she said that that area was OK. The severe winds are around the eye wall which are around 75 miles wide on a Category 4. Hopefully the US Military can get in there and get communications set up and organized. An aircraft carrier can make 400,000 gallons of drinking water a day which is enough for a million people. (drinking).
Old 11-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #13

I lived in the PI for 2 years & I can't imagine many buildings standing up to those type of winds. The PI is such a poor country please help the as you can.