Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
Phone call from Census Bureau

Today, 1/8/11, a message on my machine to call the census bureau and refer to a particular case number. I thought the census was already done as reported last week that states were losing/gaining reps, etc. Anyone else experiencing this?

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy DFR,

DO NOT CALL THAT NUMBER!!!!!! THERE ARE SCAMS USING THAT KIND OF LURE... IT MAY HOOK YOU UP TO SOME FOREIGN HIGH PRICED NUMBER OR WILL TRY TO GET PERSONAL INFO!!! DO NOT CALL IT!!!
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
For what it's worth I just ran a Google search on "Phone Call from Census Bureau" "and this is what I found as the first response.
Is this a legitimate phone call?

If you have received a telephone call from the U.S. Census Bureau it could have originated from one of the Regional Offices or the National Processing Center. The caller should have stated in the message from which place they were calling.
However, if they did not, contact the National Processing Center telephone centers and we will assist you.
If you believe the call originated from the National Processing Center and would like to verify the person calling you is indeed a Census Bureau employee, you may confirm this by using the telephone center number listed on the Contact the National Processing Center page. Please have your case ID number ready when you call.
When you contact us, if you can provide any of the following information, it will help us respond more quickly:
  1. The name of the survey and/or the return address for the survey form (if you received a request in the mail or by e-mail)
  2. The name and/or telephone number of anyone who contacted you by phone
  3. Your case ID number
The National Processing Center telephone centers contact respondents over the phone to conduct surveys. There are three strategically placed telephone centers located in Jeffersonville, Indiana; Hagerstown, Maryland; and Tucson, Arizona. Visit the Census Bureau’s National Processing Center site to learn more about other activities.
If you have questions regarding a specific region, contact your Regional Office.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The Census Bureau's web site states they may make calls.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
It surprised me that the call was coming so late from the census itself. My daughter even worked as a census canvasser last year and has been laid off for months. I googled the call and found there were scams happening but the number left was different from the one's listed as the scam. I realize scammers adapt so this number may be a new one they are using. The recording made no mention of where the call originated. It just stated census bureau, call #********* and state case # ********. I believe I will not volunteer anything. If they want me they know where I'm at.

340 RK
Old 01-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Different parts of the census are always going on.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Probably some nice little guy from Nigeria who has a great deal for you on a new MH.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:55 AM   #8

If I can't see, touch, taste or smell a proper ID, they don't get a thing from me. Most especially a return phone call.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Please go to the Census Bureau web site for some good information;

Are You In a Survey?: Fraudulent Activity and Scams

Also check out the Federal Trade Commission Consumer Protection web page for some other scams:

FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
IC2

DO NOT MAKE THAT CALL BACK!!!!

If they really want to talk to you they will call again. As said above, some of those calls are scams. These might be only some rich Nigerian prince wanting to give you a few million if you help them, but others are from Caribbean sources which will result in a phone bill in the hundreds of dollars plus many hours of trying to straighten this out.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
After posting yesterday I was discussing this with my DW and she informed me that they had called about 2 weeks ago and she had neglected to tell me. Apparently she told them she was not giving any information over the phone to someone she could not verify the identity of, and she hung up. I believe this will be the track we will remain on in the future.

340 RK
Old 01-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It has not been unusual for guys (or girls) in prison to make that type of phone call. They then attack your phone number and they have a free phone for as long as you want and you pay the bill.
johnsonjm209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
a message on my machine to call the census bureau and refer to a particular case number.
Hmm.. sounds like a collection call

In anycase, do NOT call it back and give your information. If/when they call again, tell them to please send any and all correspondence in the mail. If they ask for your address, why then they are not who they say they are, huh?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I for one would certainly not call it back
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote