Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
HHg

Pilot / Flying J

I see where they were just fined 92 million for cheating customers out of discounts and rebates. The lawyers for the Haslem's (owners) signed the agreement today.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #2

It was always such a hassle to get the fuel I quit going there. I would rather go the pumps that take my CC rather than have to go inside twice to complete the transaction.
go4dsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #3

Quote:
According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Tennessee, Pilot Flying J, the country’s largest diesel retailer, accepts responsibility for the criminal conduct of its employees, including 10 who have pleaded guilty to participating in the scheme, and agrees to cooperate with the ongoing investigation.
“The terms of this agreement …demonstrate quite clearly that no corporation, no matter how big, influential, or wealthy is above the law,” said U.S. Attorney Bill Killian.
Simply Big time CROOKS and people will still line up to do business with them.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
HHg

I totally agree, however I always tow our CRV and the combined length of the RV and Toad make it really difficult to get in most stations, meaning I usually use them (Pilot/Flying J) or T/A stations out of necessity.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Total cost of Pilot Flying J fraud exceeds $150 million
Total cost of Pilot Flying J fraud exceeds $150 million | ProFootballTalk

From the story:
Quote:
As announced by the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Tennessee, who wisely ensured that the July 10 deal would be announced not on LeBron Day but today, the $92 million paid by Pilot Flying J to avoid prosecution does not include the $56 million already paid to customers who were defrauded. ......

I personally think they got let off the hook. They have paid out $56 million so far.

I think when you purposely defraud and STEAL from your customers. The fine should be $1 (reimbursement) to $1 (Fine) ratio after you have paid them back.
This smacks of too little too late, just like today's announced Citi-Bank $8 BILLION settlement.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #6

Agee with that
go4dsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #7

Pilot Flying J to pay $92 million, avoid prosecution
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #8

Pilot / Flying J

After a bit behind the wheel, I gained the spatial qualities that let me make it into and out of the regular fuel stations. My 42 plus toad does me just fine, and lets me beat P/FJ prices every time, even with their silly discount!

And the newer stations have even more room now, as they know that revenue gets bumped up by easy access and better pricing.

I will not "fall into line" like the madding crowd that has loyalty to a fraudulent dealer, that apparently has the financial oomph (influence) to avoid a much larger penalty.

YMMV
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by go4dsnow View Post
It was always such a hassle to get the fuel I quit going there. I would rather go the pumps that take my CC rather than have to go inside twice to complete the transaction.
X2... they don't trust me to pay, but here they are ripping customers off for millions. Just the kind of company I want to do business with...not! Fuel is normally cheaper where there is not a Flying J in the area.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #10

Regardless of the fact they were cheating their discount commercial customers, those customers are the reason RV'ers pay more at those stations. We have been subsidizing trucking companies. Besides most truck slots are filthy. Use "next exit" to find RV friendly stations away from Flying J and Pilot to get a fair price and better service.
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't care what others say or feel about Flying J/Pilot.

I like the Flying J's RV Islands and they have some at the newer Pilot's also. Easy in & Out.
Plus I can park in a RV spot and get a $2 breakfast in the Denny's at many of them. Also while there I can Dump get water, air or LP if needed.

Try getting all that at other nearby stations.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I used them with the Pilot Flynig J Good sam discount card for about 3 years.

wonder if I'LL get any of that money since I'm sure I've never gotten the discount
Old 07-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sticking with FJ/P and loves. Most have easy access, and I don't know where some of you others are traveling, but in AZ and CA where I usually go they will always be the cheapest. Arco may beat them slightly, but they charge to use a card.

Glenn
Old 07-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I read this and have to ask, how many on here have negotiated contracts with them for rebates based on amount purchased? My guess no one, so we will not see a check, nor did any of us not get our rebates from them. I doubt you will see an increase to cover their penalties, most have a competitor across the street. I will still get my fuel there, I do not get a rebate, and I am usually not familiar with the areas once I start traveling, and do not want to look for a place I can get in and out.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote