Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #1

Angry Pilot Flying J Fraud Case

I have read a fair number of post where folks have implied Flying J didn't allow for the discount for using the fleet card. This article was posted today describing how large trucking companies have a class action lawsuite against the Pilot Flying J as well a federal investigation.....

"By Laura Stevens A federal judge on Monday approved an estimated $85 million class-action settlement of a suit in which trucking customers alleged Pilot Flying J, the largest truck-stop chain in North America, defrauded them over several years through a diesel-rebate program. The settlement, which is between Pilot and plaintiffs in 10 of about 20 pending lawsuits against it, requires the company to have auditors examine its trucking accounts and pay any money owed, in addition to 6% in annualized interest. It also assigns Pilot all legal and auditing costs associated with the case. Judge James Moody approved the deal in the U.S. District Court in Little Rock, Ark., where a suit against Pilot was filed in April. A preliminary settlement agreement was reached in July. Any Pilot customers who didn't opt out of the class action won't be able to sue the truck-stop giant separately, limiting the company's liability. The settlement will help the company turn its attention to a federal criminal probe into allegations that members of Pilot's sales staff promised volume discounts, in the form of rebates, to some of its trucking customers, but then shorted those customers on what was owed. The alleged fraud dates back to 2008 and in some cases earlier, according to an affidavit filed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in the U.S. District Court in Knoxville, Tenn., where Pilot is based. Though no charges have been filed from that investigation, FBI and Internal Revenue Service agents executed search warrants April 15 at Pilot headquarters, as well as at the homes of company salespeople in other parts of the country. Several of the company's lower-level employees have pleaded guilty in connection with the case and are cooperating with federal prosecutors. The criminal investigation is ongoing. Around 5,800 trucking companies or accounts are eligible for participating in the class-action suit, although auditors are still determining which were underpaid and by how much, said Michael L. Roberts, co-lead counsel for the plaintiffs. Around 60 companies have chosen to opt out of the class and can sue separately. The company, which has already started paying back customers, will reimburse an estimated total of $55.6 million, in addition to $9.7 million in interest to the class members who were underpaid. The remainder of the settlement will go toward auditing and legal fees. Write to Laura Stevens at laura.stevens@wsj.com Subscribe to WSJ: http://online.wsj.com?mod=djnwires"[PHP][/PHP]"
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
And that has what, to do with RVers??
I have gotten the 3¢ & 8¢ discount with both of my Flying J RV cards with no problem.
Over the same years as posted above.

A lot of the post from RV owners that Flying J didn't allow for the discount for using the fleet card. Was at Flying J stations that a discount is not given.
Or they used the card the wrong way.

Download the PDF RV guide from Flying J on all the stations that a discount is given.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #3

The lawsuit you mention has nothing to do with buying fuel at the pump for your RV. It is about large trucking companies and the deals they negotiated for their fleet fuel purchases. The suit alleges that Flying J withheld rebates and overcharged fleet customers. The suit has been settled and Flying J is paying millions to make things right.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I am also getting the discount that my GS life membership allows, $.06 on gas, $.08 on diesel. It is discounted right at the pump after I insert my RV Plus card.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #5

Thanks for sharing the information.

I am aware the suit has nothing to do with RV purchase of diesel, however, pointing out there is an analogy to the various post regarding Pilot not providing the discount and on occasionally over charging patrons using its charge cards.

Personally I have never had an issue and prefer Pilot/Flying for fueling.

Yikes! I'll be careful in picking the another forum for sharing information.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #6

That subject is appropriate for the "Just Conversation" forum. Nothing wrong with posting it-in the correct place. I too saw/read that yesterday. The CEO stood-up and admitted wrongdoing, even put up that money prior to the court decision, according to what I read.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote