Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #1

"Pink slime"

Just wondering if everyone is enjoying their grilled hamburgers now that we know that 70% (no idea who could come up with that percentage) of all supermarket/grocery store packaged hamburger has this by-product stuff they are calling pink slime, or rather the stuff they sweep up off the floor after trimming the beef and package it up as an additive (oh yes, it's also been sprayed with ammonia). This is the same stuff they used to make dog food out of. Then the USDA and FDA says it's not required to be listed on the packages of hamburger since it is in reality a meat product. I kind of like to know where the meat on my plate comes from off the cow.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We buy ours locally. Its cut and ground while we wait! Best part is its within a dime of walmart or HEB's price per pound!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dianne Sawyer had another special on tonight's news. Three of the ones I remember that DO NOT HAVE Pink Slime Hamburger are HEB, COSTCO and WHOLE FOODS. There were another one or two but I don't remember which ones they were. There is a marker of some type on the packages that contain the Pink Slime, but they don't call it Pink Slime.

Someone else that saw the program can comment if they remember what it was.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #4

Educate the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Just wondering if everyone is enjoying their grilled hamburgers now that we know that 70% (no idea who could come up with that percentage) of all supermarket/grocery store packaged hamburger has this by-product stuff they are calling pink slime, or rather the stuff they sweep up off the floor after trimming the beef and package it up as an additive (oh yes, it's also been sprayed with ammonia). This is the same stuff they used to make dog food out of. Then the USDA and FDA says it's not required to be listed on the packages of hamburger since it is in reality a meat product. I kind of like to know where the meat on my plate comes from off the cow.

Wagonmaster2
I, for one, don't know a thing about the report on hamburger that you're talking about. I can't believe that my local chain of stores is allowing this practice.

Is this meat processed by a national distributor?

Who would even think of sweeping up the cutting room floor and putting the dust pan full of trimmings into the grinder? I'm thinking that this is "internet fodder". Can't believe all that you read on the 'net.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #5

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slwohlford View Post
I, for one, don't know a thing about the report on hamburger that you're talking about. I can't believe that my local chain of stores is allowing this practice.

Who would even think of sweeping up the cutting room floor and putting the dust pan full of trimmings into the grinder? I'm thinking that this is "internet fodder". Can't believe all that you read on the 'net.
It's real...
'Pink slime' eliminated from fast food, but not school lunches - USATODAY.com

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...grocery-store/

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,1330346.story
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is definitely not internet fodder.

Just search on "Pink Slime" without the quotes and you will see real soon how prevalent a problem this was and is. The "was" is that McD's, Taco Bell, and another have already stated that they would stop the practice of using Pink Slime. The first distributor is identified in the Wikipedia article.

So if you are not going to trust the internet, maybe you can search ABC, CBS, or NBC for their articles on it. Or Dianne Sawyer.

Apparently you don't watch news broadcasts or read newspapers.

Edited: I posted after or about the same time as Tallyrver, but I'm going to let my post stand as another form of confirmation.

The Wiki Article.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is true and they serve it to the children in our schools. We grind our own burgers. Add the seasoning in durring the second grind amd you have burgers like my dad made.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I buy my ground beef at Costco, who SAYS they don't use it. I have STOPPED eating fast-food burgers due to this. I heard it first listening to Neil Boortz this week, while I was in the middle of eating a fast food burger. I couldn't finish it, and I'll not eat another until I'm sure what's in it.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #9

I got an email on pink slime from one of my friends that will often send me a warning that turns out not to be true but this looks like it is a real and disgusting one. Guess I'm off hamburger for a while.

Make me wonder what else we consume that is not listed?
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
..We grind our own burgers.
Ditto. Done it for years. This way I control what & how much fat is in my hamburgers. Not to say the meat isn't full of hormones, but at least I'm not putting in "fillers" of unknown origin.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The report on COSTCO was aired on Dianne Sawyer as one of the distributors that does not have Pink Slime hamburger.

One can look at the hamburger meat and tell if it is Pink Slime. The consistency is mushy to the eye.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
This is definitely not internet fodder.

Just search on "Pink Slime" without the quotes and you will see real soon how prevalent a problem this was and is. The "was" is that McD's, Taco Bell, and another have already stated that they would stop the practice of using Pink Slime. The first distributor is identified in the Wikipedia article.

So if you are not going to trust the internet, maybe you can search ABC, CBS, or NBC for their articles on it. Or Dianne Sawyer.

Apparently you don't watch news broadcasts or read newspapers.

Edited: I posted after or about the same time as Tallyrver, but I'm going to let my post stand as another form of confirmation.

The Wiki Article.
I plead guilty to being "ignorant" of the pink slime situation. I turned the national news off about 10 - 15 years ago. If I have to explain why, then there's no need to respond.

Are you well versed on EVERY single event going on in America? I once again apologize for my "ignorance".
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We cook at home ourselves almost all the time, and we are very fuzzy when it comes to the quality our the meat we buy.

If we are allowed, we would recommend to you Sprouts Farmers Marked's meat department. Everything we have bought there have been excellent - including their ground beef.

It is probably more expensive than the big supermarket chains, but quality does normally cost more money.

We do not benefit in any shape or form for our endorsement.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwohlford View Post

The "pink slime" story is true...except I doubt that they "sweep the scraps off the floor." However, I'm sure there are plenty of disgusting things happening to our food that we will never know about.