Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Political ads for visitors?

A few minutes ago I dropped into the forum without signing in and up pops an add for "Obama hoods" with minium donation of $55.00. We can't talk politics but its ok to campaign?? I don't get it.

Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Me too. What's up with that?
gaugeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
The ads come from Googleads - they are not selected by the Administrators or Moderators of the forum. It's just whatever Google chooses to place in the advertising blocks they purchase.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Extra advertisements are the privilege you get for viewing as an unregistered member and as already mentioned beyond the control of iRV2.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #5

I certainly understand what you fellas are saying, but if irv2 is selling ads to Google and Google is using that space to insert items that are offensive, don't sell ads to Google. They are not "beyond the control of irv2" if irv2 is sellling the space to Google.

I haven't seen what the OP was talking about, but if I do, I'll limit my already limited time on irv2 and go elsewhere. The last thing I'm going to do is to provide support for a person to whom I am vehemently opposed.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #6

Put Ghostery on your computer and you won't see anything.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
When browsing for security cameras in Google, I found some cameras from Lorex and went to that website. Now, daily, I have Lorex ads on my IRV2 ad space.

I also looked at sites for Freeze Dried Foods and it is at the top of this page.

Maybe you looked at something about Obama - just suggesting.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is most likely "tracking" cookies. Some browsers have provisions of telling advertisers to not track. One of them is Firefox. Also, adblock is a Firefox plug-in that blocks those ads. When I log in I see no ads using Firefox and adblock. The space below the first post is nothing but a big blue empty space.

Delete your cookies and you will get rid of the tracking cookies. You will have to remember your passwords for the next time you log in. The passwords are not in the cookie file, but on the server that the cookie tells the web page who you are.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have two choices.. You can pay $$$ a month to have these forums advertisement free or the folks who bring you these forums (I mean IRV2) can sell advertisement space.

They sell the space to a service. IT pays them, then re-sells the space to a collection of advertisers.. Alas, IRV2, and the folks who moderate these forums do not have any direct control over the ads,,, Though I believe they can file an objection, Still till the service gets around to processing the objection.. We still get the ads.. Or rather you do. I don't. (And no, I'm not a "Somebody" I just don't get popups is all)
Old 12-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
I certainly understand what you fellas are saying, but if irv2 is selling ads to Google and Google is using that space to insert items that are offensive, don't sell ads to Google. They are not "beyond the control of irv2" if irv2 is sellling the space to Google.

I haven't seen what the OP was talking about, but if I do, I'll limit my already limited time on irv2 and go elsewhere. The last thing I'm going to do is to provide support for a person to whom I am vehemently opposed.
When you sign in as a member you see substantial less of the advertisements than when you view as a visitor the same as any free board you look at.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You have two choices.. You can pay $$$ a month to have these forums advertisement free or the folks who bring you these forums (I mean IRV2) can sell advertisement space.

They sell the space to a service. IT pays them, then re-sells the space to a collection of advertisers.. Alas, IRV2, and the folks who moderate these forums do not have any direct control over the ads,,, Though I believe they can file an objection, Still till the service gets around to processing the objection.. We still get the ads.. Or rather you do. I don't. (And no, I'm not a "Somebody" I just don't get popups is all)
Third choice: Adblock Plus
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
There's ads?

Dave
(Firefox user with adblock)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
A couple of things:

A. Google ad programs all will allow webmasters to specify categories of ads that are not acceptible on their sites. For officials here to say they have no control is disengenouos. I would expect that a forum that disallows certain items for discussion, would also disallow advertisors that hawk those items.

B. I wonder how the advertisers that pay for space here feel about administrators advising users block their ads from displaying?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
There's ads?

Dave
(Firefox user with adblock)
Same here. Had IE & chose to ignore the ads, but after hearing of other members using FF w/adblock & not seeing the ads I decided to try it. Been using it for 6 months now. Yep, no more ads.

Members have offered an alternative that, at least as far as my short use of it has proven, will not show those ads. The choice is yours.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote