Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #1

Political threads

I'm a Vietnam veteran and as such I feel that I'm one who has fought for the freedom we all enjoy in this country. When someone expresses their political opinion on TV or radio that I do not share, I change the station. They have the right to express their opinion and I have the right to change the station. On iRV2 we're specifically directed that "Discussions about politics and religion are not allowed at iRV2". Nevertheless, there are threads in the Just Conversation Forum that tend to get political. It seems to me that in most cases the thread itself is not political but there are those who make it political. Like a snowball rolling down a hill, it becomes more political than otherwise and specific political parties are targeted. Yes, I can choose to not read the thread if I do not share that political opinion but I shouldn't have make that decision when iRV2 is not a political Forum. Our country is so polarized right now that it would be nice to visit iRV2 to talk about RVing, which we all love, not politics. What's your opinion on political threads?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlcal View Post
What's your opinion on political threads?
Hate 'em, but I'm drawn to them like a fly to . . . well . . . you know.

You're absolutely right. Political threads have no place on an RV forum, but the iRV2 Moderators are very lax. It appears that a thread must get into hate speech before anything is done.

Plus, if you look at the iRV2 political threads, you'll find the Moderators posting like everyone else.

The RV.net and especially the Escapees forums are far more rigorous about nipping political threads in the bud.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How soon they are nipped here, in my opinion, seems to depend on your political leaning.

Dieselclacker
Old 09-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
No need for them here. They always end in an argument anyway. I moderate on a homebrew forum and we will allow political threads only if they relate directly to beer or brewing. The rest get quickly deleted. The same I am sure goes here, if it is related to RVing then it is a different story. Somehow it always goes astray anyway though.

I also get the impression that the people with the strongest political views that like to ram it down your throat need a hobby or something to take up their time.

You don't care how I feel about politics, I don't care how you feel so let's just leave it at that and we will all be happy.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Moderators are volunteers and iRV2 is a big forum. We try to stay on top of these threads and as the OP pointed out many threads are not overtly political at the outset - but they can rapidly take partisan turns. Moderators are cautious about removing content. No one likes to have their posts removed and we often have allowed some latitude but with the political season steady coming on the horizon, you can count on more swift action.

In a perfect world members would exercise some self restraint surrounding this topic - but you can help by reporting problem threads. you can click the little red triangle icon to send an alert to moderators
We may not always agree with your view point but it does alert the site team to look at the content and this is helpful.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is my opinion on this ....
Concerning the ''Just Conversation'' forum is where I do most of my postings. On this forum I feel like we are all sitting around a giant campfire roastin our weene and just sorta shootin the bull about stuff. Silly stuff and serious stuff. Question stuff and maybe a clean joke stuff. IMHO the Just Conversation is the place for stuff that may not be RV related because the rest of the form seems to be RV related concerning Campgrounds, Places to go, Different types of RV's, engines etc etc etc. We even have a ''Pet'' forum and a Veterans RV forum about RV's.
I would agree that we should not get ''Political'' on here because too many people take their politics and religion very seriously and since we cant type facial expression easily, it would be easy to offend someone and start a fist fight. True... some things kinda ''ooze'' over into political opinions and it is up to the Modss and Admins to limit the extent of that type discussion. Remember, these guys and gals are human and none of our rules are set in stone as it were. The rules are open for interpretation by the mods and admins and they will warn you (and me) when we start pushing the line. (been there done that)
I personally am glad we can not directly discuss politics or religion on here because I might not have room for my junk I want to post ......

this is just my opinion and I am probably wrong ....

Fly the colors on 9/11 and NEVER FORGET THAT DAY AND WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS GREAT NATION ....... NEVER FORGET ........

(God bless you ''ajlcal'' for your service to this nation sir)
Old 09-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
edj

Just discussing (arguing?) the issues of the day is not necessarily political. It is only when the political parties and/or individuals get injected into the discussion that it turns political.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll just keep my mouth shut.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #9

I agree with edj. we should be able to discuss things like the debt crisis , congressional actions etc. as long as we don't get into name calling and offensive statements. Who knows, there may be some good solutions out there to some of our problems.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I'm on a boating forum that has a "Political" thread, where you can say just about anything.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I'm on a boating forum that has a "Political" thread, where you can say just about anything.
+1

Lots of people enjoy political threads. Lucky for me, I'm not one of them.

But I HIGHLY suggest that a Political Forum be formed, and that everyone there has THEIR opinion that is just wanting to be heard. ANYONE who participates in that forum should know that:

(1) Discussions WILL be heated, and that things can easily escalate, and

(2) Political opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

(3) It's just forum and a place to voice their opinions. People shouldn't take it so damn personal. (Which is easier said than done).

Anyway, that's MY opinion. Take it with a grain....

Old 09-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Seems like one many suggestions that I have made over the years, don't hold your breath waiting for a political forum. Although it might be better to wait till after the rally if they do form one. Might prevent violence LOL
Old 09-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What's your opinion on political threads?[/QUOTE]

If I had my druthers, I'd like to see a thread just for politics - with no bars held. There would have to be a disclaimer telling anyone who entered that this would be a non-PC thread and enter at your own risk.

It'll never happen.

I am a participant in a military forum where there are very few bars held and enjoy it immensely. It is a very small forum and almost all who participate are of the same political party so sometimes I have to enliven it by being a devil's advocate.

Since I don't have my druthers here, I'll just continue enjoying the forum and staying within the boundaries. I'll just get my chuckles elsewhere.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I think that's a brilliant solution- provide an outlet.

Walmart Thread, prepare to stand aside as the longest ever!

But if I were King of The Forum World, I'd take it one step further.
Most of the "political" type stuff that comes up isn't overtly partisan.
The dividing line is at Posters' individual assessments of who "The Government" is.
I'd establish two threads:
One for those who believe that Government is "them".
And another for those who believe that Government is "us".
Then I'd just let everybody post away, so long as they do so in the thread provided for the perspective they choose to adopt.
And politely, of course, though I don't think rudeness would be much of a problem.

After all, how can one be rude to those who already agree with one's own Deeply Held Beliefs?

Francesca
Closed Thread