Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Politics and Religion in polite company

In the last several days iRV2 moderators have closed several threads about healthcare reform. Those threads developed into heated debates that often left the concept of collegial posting behind and became less than neighborly discussions. iRV2 is a forum on the topic of RVing and many members visit here to escape a little and relax. To this end we have a long standing policy of not permitting any discussions here about politics or religion. It is up to our volunteer moderators to make choices about what falls into these topic areas and they do their best with this sometimes thankless task.

We are reminding you that discussions of politics and religion are not permitted (even in the just conversation area) as they are just too devisive to the community. Threads or posts on these topics will be removed moving forward. If you have a question about a topic or unsure if it's sppropriate, please PM a moderator and ask - we are happy to help. You can read our community rules here.

iRV2 members are spread across several countries, have different experience sets and widely varying political and social views but we all share a common interest in RVing. Lets check political debate at the door and keep iRV2 friendly and flame free.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Excellent Janet, now we can get back to RVing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
Old 08-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Health care is important to those of us who are RVlng also. Some people can't discuss it without kicking sand in someones face. JMO
Old 08-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So to prevent any accidental speaking of politics, we should not talk about banks as the government owns some of them, nor speak about the auto industry as the government owns part of it too, not health care as the government wants to take it over, not medical insurance as the government want to control it, perscription medicine as Obama has his eyes on controlling it, not mortgages, increasing of taxes, corruption, or the first amendment. What did I leave out ???
Old 08-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
So to prevent any accidental speaking of politics, we should not talk about banks as the government owns some of them, nor speak about the auto industry as the government owns part of it too, not mortgages, increasing of taxes, corruption, or the first amendment. What did I leave out ???
I think we can discuss anything as long as we do it civilly and refrain from laying blame based on a political criteria.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
We are reminding you that discussions of politics and religion are not permitted (even in the just conversation area) as they are just too devisive to the community. Threads or posts on these topics will be removed moving forward. If you have a question about a topic or unsure if it's sppropriate, please PM a moderator and ask - we are happy to help. You can read our community rules here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Exactly so, 007. One of the reasons I enjoy, and repeatedly visit, this site, is exactly what Janet said. The fact that those topics are not allowed should be the end of it. For those who adamant in this regard, there are other sites that allow it. Therefore, what is the point of trying to force it in this one?

Not trying to be confrontational, simply trying to understand. I enjoy this site the way it is, and believe the majority of us do. Great job!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
I value the opinions of everyone and accordingly like to discuss politics or religion with people I meet IF that is the subject that THEY choose to bring up.
I am easy going.
I sense that the new ownership here is slightly more tolerant of conversations that vear into these areas then that of years ago. That makes my heart swell with pride and happiness since I really like this forum.
When I moderated here at iRV2 the lines holding the ship were a bit tighter. I loved it then and I love it now. Wish that some of the more vocally angst here would check the attitudes at the door and keep the fruitful conversations going.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
I value the opinions of everyone and accordingly like to discuss politics or religion with people I meet . . .
Couldn't agree more, even the politics and religion . . . except on this website. They have pretty clearly stated that those two subjects are verboten, and it is their right to take that position. Whether or not we agree with it is irrelevant. Besides, I don't want to get banned.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

It's very difficult to have discussion of politics or religion without somebody having a strongly held conviction that is in opposition to someone else's equally strongly held opinion. Even good friends can have their relationship strained when it comes to that sort of debate, so it should not be surprising that in a wide open forum with thousands of participants, some people will come on go too far and stir up trouble. In my opinion, it is best to simply leave these topics for other venues, of which there are plenty.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I apologize for any problems I many have caused or contributed to. I will try to do better in the future!

Jim Stewart
Old 08-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I agree too, that this site should be for what it was designed for, RV'ing. Like most, I, too, have very strong political and religious views. Those of which I tender in the proper environment. This just happens to not be it. This is my solitude from everything else that I don't agree with. I get my blood pressure up enough with the news and so fourth so, athough a conversation may be interesting I come here to relax and learn and someday hope to impart some helpful knowledge. This is my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #12

Some of my best friends and I do not agree politically, but we don't make it personal. We kid each other but we know what we can get away with and what buttons not to push. That is much harder to do when it is done electronically. I lived through eight years of Bush and am still here so I figure that it is time to give the other side their turn.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do not like discussing politics or religion for a couple of very good reason.

1. I don't know much about either of them!
2. I'll always lose
3. I won't change my mind.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I do not like discussing politics or religion for a couple of very good reason.

1. I don't know much about either of them!
2. I'll always lose
3. I won't change my mind.