Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2021, 07:35 AM   #1

Propane tank [20 pound] storage?

I searched for this in several forums and didn't get anything. I'm wondering if it's safe to carry a full or partially full propane storage tank inside a vehicle not separated from the passenger compartment? Or is it legal to carry such tank on a storage pod attached to a hitch??? Thanks,
Gene Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2021, 08:10 AM   #2

No sir, don't carry it in the passenger compartment. If there is even a minor leak it can cause havoc.
I'm no lawyer, so I can't speak to the legality of carrying a tank on a hitch carrier, and I'm sure that could vary by state, but just imagine if said carrier was destroyed in a rear-end collision. But I must admit I have seen propane cylinders carried just that way many times. I think this is where wisdom and/or common sense is supposed to come in handy.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:00 AM   #3

I agree with what Hopsbrewer said. Don't carry the tank in your passenger compartment and I would not carry it on a hitch for the reasons stated. That said, there are lots and lots of folks carry propane around on the tongue of their trailer. I don't think that is nearly as dangerous as carrying it around on the hitch as the trailer protects it in the event of a rear-end collision.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, storage, tank