Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #15

3T. Does that stand for 3 Tesla? Tesla is the strength of the MRI beam (or what ever you call it).
I have the LINX device for acid reflux and can only have a max of 1.5 Tesla MRI.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
don't known the name of test sorry
but doc put a tiny camera up and in wear you pee and had it hooked up to a monitor
i did not want to watch it but was told everything is fine
all the blood test were fine also
so all is good
That is called a cystoscope exam. I have one every three months and the doc uses a little numbing agent before insertion of the catheter so it's not really painful.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
3T. Does that stand for 3 Tesla? Tesla is the strength of the MRI beam (or what ever you call it).
I have the LINX device for acid reflux and can only have a max of 1.5 Tesla MRI.

I believe that’s what is stands for? But the noise was like someone was hitting the tube with a sledgehammer
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #18

Hey— this is an RV app—not for discussing medical issues
Tonkexpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #19

Why does everyone copy the original post when replying to a post?

Sent from my SM-G900V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Xtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkexpress1 View Post
Hey— this is an RV app—not for discussing medical issues
With only 4 posts to your name, it looks like you've got a bit to learn about this forum. The thread topic that the O.P. selected IS IN the proper section of the forum......"Just Conversation" and is for "NON RV" related conversation! Many RV forums have sections that allow topics of discussion that are not RV related, and this is one of them.

And I feel confident that the topic being discussed here is a very important one that can and does affect many men of a certain age group. If you aren't there yet, just remember, if you live that long.......you will be. Heed the advice and listen to what is being discussed..........or NOT!:
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:12 AM   #21

Thanks for the clarification.
Tonkexpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I know the PSA test has been used for a long time but just recently I've been reading about a newer, supposedly better, test for determining problems with the protate. It's called the Prostate Health Index and has been used in cases where a prostate biopsy might have been called for .

Has anyone heard of or used this Prostate Health Index with good results?
My PSA keeps going up a little each year and I'm just wondering when the doctor will suggest a biopsy, which I've heard is worse than getting flipped in the butt with a wet towel. Not that I'm really squeemish about a little pain but I've also heard there's always the danger of an infection after a biopsy.
My PSA was steadily going up each check up,,and when it jumped from 6 to nine my Doctor told me its time for a urologist to enter the pic. Made an appointment. ,,I got the old finger of fate and wham o two lumps on my prostate. So I had the biopsy which is really nothing to it ,,no pain what soever..2 weeks later the Doctor looked at me and said we are dealing with cancer here so I had a complete removal of my prostate..said ALL OF THAT 2 SAY THIS GET YOUR PROSTATE EXAM..
Old 12-25-2017, 07:20 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I got to tell you I just had that biopsy performed this week and it hurt. My brother and brother in law, one of which had referred me to his Dr. he spoke well of both said there wasn't much to it, well BS it was absolutely terrible and painful. That device that goes in the rectum hurts when he is moving it around, it was absolutely miserable. Hell I had pain with the wife giving me the enema. Dr said I was a tight ass and I told him I liked the word frugal better. He said based on the ultra sound everything looked smooth and round about the size of a golf ball, but during the digital exam he said it was a little big. My PSA number went up from a 2.8 to 4 in 12 mo. and that is why I went in to see him. Waiting for the results and don't expect anything abnormal.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Prostate examines while at home or traveling

Having had prostate cancer, I'll chime in a bit. It was discovered 5 years ago. I was 55. Chased the increasing PSA two years before the finding.
Then, the Dr's (Kaiser)were looking for a large increase in the PSA number. Nothing beats a DRE and blood test in my opinion. I had 4 -5 biopsies in CA.
Moving to Indiana and seeing the head of Urology Dept at IU, I was put on Flomax for one year to reduce the size and reduce the PSA. Having my PSA checked every 3 months. At the end of the year or maybe it was 9 months, my PSA jumped. Dr. did a saturation biopsy immediately and found the cancer. Less than one month later the prostate was out (with very good margins) and so far so good.
The biopsies are no big deal unless the Dr. Doesn't numb you properly. Happened to me once. It hurt. All the others were very tolerable.
It is important to have a base line PSA around 40. Especially if you have genetic history. Then it is much easier to track increases. A rapidly increasing number is one indication, but certainly not always conclusive.
Hope your biopsy is normal tmw188.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:16 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
Having had prostate cancer, I'll chime in a bit. It was discovered 5 years ago. I was 55. Chased the increasing PSA two years before the finding.
Then, the Dr's (Kaiser)were looking for a large increase in the PSA number. Nothing beats a DRE and blood test in my opinion. I had 4 -5 biopsies in CA.
Moving to Indiana and seeing the head of Urology Dept at IU, I was put on Flomax for one year to reduce the size and reduce the PSA. Having my PSA checked every 3 months. At the end of the year or maybe it was 9 months, my PSA jumped. Dr. did a saturation biopsy immediately and found the cancer. Less than one month later the prostate was out (with very good margins) and so far so good.
The biopsies are no big deal unless the Dr. Doesn't numb you properly. Happened to me once. It hurt. All the others were very tolerable.
It is important to have a base line PSA around 40. Especially if you have genetic history. Then it is much easier to track increases. A rapidly increasing number is one indication, but certainly not always conclusive.

Thank you, I have been getting annual PSA reports for about 4yrs now and I'm 60 now. The numbers have always been very close up or down. This past yr. it went up 1.2 points, it has always been in the 2-3 range. My brother in law had his removed and spoke highly of this Dr. but man he sure hurt me. What is the DRE?
Old 12-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I had two random biopsies in my Dr’s office. I refused a third because of all the negative potential issues they can cause. Both biopsies found no cancer. When my PSA shot up to 16, I had an MRI which showed possible cancer. Next I had an MRI directed biopsy. This was a better test and it showed cancer. It hurt like hell! The first two biopsies were uncomfortable but not painful. The MRI biopsy was done by a radiologist. He told me the random biopsies would never have found the cancer. If you ever have this test, ask to be put under. After those results, I had a prostatectomy by robotic surgery. I recovered quickly. Make sure your surgeon has done many of these before doing your surgery. Unfortunately my cancer is aggressive and showed up after surgery. My bone scan was good so I started radiation and hormone therapy. Used together the results are usually better than radiation or hormones alone. The image guided radiotherapy was 5 days a week for 9 weeks. It wasn’t too bad to get thru. I have one more hormone shot in March and it will wear off in three months or so. So the hormone therapy lasts for two years. It is just something to get thru. After June I will be constantly checked for PSA level. Right now my PSA is unmeasurable it is so low. I hope it stays that way. I have several friends who have had prostate cancer and we all have different outcomes and treatments. When you find out you may have prostate cancer, ask questions, get a good doctor and do your own research to educate yourself. Stay positive and know this is very common. Good luck!!
Old 12-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
I had two random biopsies in my Dr’s office. I refused a third because of all the negative potential issues they can cause. Both biopsies found no cancer. When my PSA shot up to 16, I had an MRI which showed possible cancer. Next I had an MRI directed biopsy. This was a better test and it showed cancer. It hurt like hell! The first two biopsies were uncomfortable but not painful. The MRI biopsy was done by a radiologist. He told me the random biopsies would never have found the cancer. If you ever have this test, ask to be put under. After those results, I had a prostatectomy by robotic surgery. I recovered quickly. Make sure your surgeon has done many of these before doing your surgery. Unfortunately my cancer is aggressive and showed up after surgery. My bone scan was good so I started radiation and hormone therapy. Used together the results are usually better than radiation or hormones alone. The image guided radiotherapy was 5 days a week for 9 weeks. It wasn’t too bad to get thru. I have one more hormone shot in March and it will wear off in three months or so. So the hormone therapy lasts for two years. It is just something to get thru. After June I will be constantly checked for PSA level. Right now my PSA is unmeasurable it is so low. I hope it stays that way. I have several friends who have had prostate cancer and we all have different outcomes and treatments. When you find out you may have prostate cancer, ask questions, get a good doctor and do your own research to educate yourself. Stay positive and know this is very common. Good luck!!

That’s why I refused twice random biopsies and paid from my own pocket for a 3T MRI prostate scan, that showed negative. Will have another in March. If there is a suspicion, I will ask for MRI guided biopsy.
Thanks for your post.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:46 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post

Biopsies came back negative showed nothing. I'm thankful for that. So what is this DRE?

Tags
travel