Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2022, 10:15 AM   #85
laj

Prostate supplements?

the beauty of simple carbs, those should never be ingested at anytime for the best health. . Complex carbs are handled differently.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2022, 07:21 PM   #86

Well to be part of the club, I have been watching my PSA for a long time. I had a average PSA of 3-4 for about 10 years. Early 2020 had my usual physical and prostate exam ugh! Got my PSA of 1.5 and Dr said ok good news. Come 2021 the usual physical & exam ugh! Get my PSA numbers 3.8 so Dr says you need to see urologists and get a check up. So I put it off until 5/2021 and go see the man. Tell him my history and meds I am taking & he has me pee in the cup and does an ultrasound of my bladder still had lots of fluid in there. So they schedule a cystoscopy. UGH!! Well it turns out that I had noninvasive cancer in bladder plus the BPH prostate. They did a TURBT & TURP & then while still recovering the Dr said pull the catheter & see if I could pee. No way!!! They put the catheter back in and I had to carry it around for a week and then they pulled it again!! I wanted to hit that nurse so bad!! Now I am about to schedule a visit for a check up that was supposed to be every three months which is going to be another cystoscopy and check my bladder. My PSA in March was 1.5.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:38 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph0808 View Post
Well to be part of the club, I have been watching my PSA for a long time. I had a average PSA of 3-4 for about 10 years. Early 2020 had my usual physical and prostate exam ugh! Got my PSA of 1.5 and Dr said ok good news. Come 2021 the usual physical & exam ugh! Get my PSA numbers 3.8 so Dr says you need to see urologists and get a check up. So I put it off until 5/2021 and go see the man. Tell him my history and meds I am taking & he has me pee in the cup and does an ultrasound of my bladder still had lots of fluid in there. So they schedule a cystoscopy. UGH!! Well it turns out that I had noninvasive cancer in bladder plus the BPH prostate. They did a TURBT & TURP & then while still recovering the Dr said pull the catheter & see if I could pee. No way!!! They put the catheter back in and I had to carry it around for a week and then they pulled it again!! I wanted to hit that nurse so bad!! Now I am about to schedule a visit for a check up that was supposed to be every three months which is going to be another cystoscopy and check my bladder. My PSA in March was 1.5.

Oh, how I hate those Foley catheters. I've had the procedure done a few times and found it so incredibly uncomfortable, I'd thrash around as if i was undergoing medieval torture. No medical procedure I've undergone has ever been so tortuous.

mr. ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:43 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
My buddy had that done several months ago. He says he can no longer pee while standing up so he has to use the few stalls in the restrooms. I don't know if that is a common complication but I'd never read of it before.

Ray

I have a morbidly obese friend who also needs to pee sitting down, as his urine stream is so weak he can't reach the urinal.

mr. ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:32 AM   #89
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. ed
I have a morbidly obese friend who also needs to pee sitting down, as his urine stream is so weak he can't reach the urinal.
This fellow is 5' 10" and about 190 lbs so that's not the reason in his case.

Ray
Old 04-14-2022, 08:27 AM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone here had any success with the Urolift? I had it in 2018, it was excruciatingly painful and provided no benefit or relief. I ordered the Costco stuff, it arrives tomorrow. I take Tamsulosin 0.4mg twice a day and it's still not good. Plan is to stop the Tams and start Costco stuff. Getting old is not for wimps.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:17 AM   #91
laj

Getting old isn’t the issue. It’s how you treated, took care of your body to that point.

A new p/u will last quite a while When they get a few miles on them with poor maint. they will nickel, and dime you to death until you lose something major: ( Heart attack, stroke, or cancer )
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 01:14 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Has anyone here had any success with the Urolift? I had it in 2018, it was excruciatingly painful and provided no benefit or relief. I ordered the Costco stuff, it arrives tomorrow. I take Tamsulosin 0.4mg twice a day and it's still not good. Plan is to stop the Tams and start Costco stuff. Getting old is not for wimps.

I think I'm repeating an earlier post. I had the urolift. Waste of my time and my insurance company's money.

I went off tamsulosin with the same plan as you. However, because of a trip to Europe, I thought I might wait until we got back (which we just did after testing positive for COVID and having to quarantine before being allowed to return). So I'm basically starting again now. Going to head over the Costco for the magic elixir!
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 01:54 PM   #93

Newmar Owners Club
I'm at the relatively young age of 62 with a total PSA of 1.8 as of last week's annual physical. After watching my father struggle immensely with large prostrate symptoms, when I turned 60 I started taking Prostate Complete (available at Walmart's) to hopefully help slow the inevitable prostate stuff that comes with older age. At this point in life, I don't have any older guy prostate issues especially no need to get up in the middle of the night. Don't know how much longer that luxury will last.....
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 07:34 AM   #94
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml
I'm at the relatively young age of 62 with a total PSA of 1.8 as of last week's annual physical.
I just looked mine up and I'm 66. My first one at age 56 was 2.2 and my one last year was 3.19. It had been fluctuating up and down since 2012 and this is the first time it's crossed 3.0. The highest previously was 2.87 in 2018.

Last year a new doc ordered that "PSA Free" test, which I'd never heard of:

PSA, Percent Free 32 %
Less than 11% suggestive of prostate cancer.
Greater than 23% suggestive of benign condition.

I've got a urologist appointment next week so I'm sure I'll have some new test results after that. Why the appointment? My old doc retired and the new doc does not do prostrate exams. He always refers those to a urologist.

It's never bad to get a new set of "eyes" on something, eh?

Ray

PS: Age 62 is where I started having a noticeable upswing in aches, pains, etc. Good luck with that.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:06 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
I'm at the relatively young age of 62 with a total PSA of 1.8 as of last week's annual physical. After watching my father struggle immensely with large prostrate symptoms, when I turned 60 I started taking Prostate Complete (available at Walmart's) to hopefully help slow the inevitable prostate stuff that comes with older age. At this point in life, I don't have any older guy prostate issues especially no need to get up in the middle of the night. Don't know how much longer that luxury will last.....

FWIW, the guy who runs the Life Extension Foundation panicked when his PSA went above 0. Somewhere on the site I posted earlier is an editorial on what he did to get the number back to 0. It included both non-prescription supplements and at least one prescription drug. From everything I've seen, they have the most complete protocol for managing this issue.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:43 PM   #96
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband
I will be having this treatment in the near future.

https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.o.../steam-therapy
If you've had it by now, is there any information you can share? I've been reading up on it.

Ray
Old 04-21-2022, 05:32 PM   #97

Just did a visit to my urologist to find out my MRI results. I see him every 6 months. MRI Ok, there was a 5mm spot on my prostate, to small for a biopsy. My prostrate is 4 times the normal size, My PSA is in the 5 plus range. In the past 10 plus years, I have always had a high PSA, I have had the tissue sample taken from my prostate twice, very painful, 1 or 2 4K test and this was my 2nd MRI, this is the first time anything has shown up. I get up and go to the bathroom 3,4,5 times a night, worse in the winter, been doing this for years. I bicycle ride a lot, if the weather is good and since I am retired, 25 to 30 miles a day, 5-6 days a week. Bike riding does not help and doctor says keep on riding.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:30 AM   #98

I just got my latest magazine from LEF. There is an article specific to this topic. The short article references 44 studies or other articles on nocturia. It specifies the ingredients and quantities of a supplement used in a study that had good results. Interesting to me is that melatonin was found to be helpful. The article is available on-line:
https://www.lifeextension.com/magazi...ation-at-night