Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2022, 06:30 AM   #1

Prostate supplements?

Hello, everyone. Just wondering if any of you fellas have used a prostate supplement that actually worked. I’m very skeptical of any OTC medical product pushed in TV ads, and would like to obtain first hand experience from others.

BTW, I do take a daily Vit D supplement, prescribed by my doctor. I’ve also read reviews of Super Beta Prostate, and the responses were mixed, many saying they were pleased, others claiming no effect, even causing a racing heartbeat in one instance.

So, have any of you guys found anything that actually works, such as Super Beta Prostate, or similar? Thanks in advance for your experiences.

Mr. Ed

mr. ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2022, 07:28 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Prostate supplements?

Only thing that works is prescription
Tamsulosin

Common brands: Flomax
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:46 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Trunature Prostate Plus Health Complex from Costco works well. I purchased a similar product from Sam's that doesn't work as well (if at all) and I compared the ingredients and the Sam's product doesn't have zinc. So I used the Sam's product with a zinc supplement which worked well and I suspect that zinc is what makes the Costco product work better. Zinc by itself may work as well, but I prefer the Costco product that has zinc in it. If you compare the ingredients which I did a couple of years back (so things could have changed), the TruNature Prostate Plus has the many of the same ingredients as the Super Beta Prostate formula has but at a much lower cost.

Also, you can get the TruNature product off of Amazon but it is cheaper from Costco. One in the morning and one in the evening works for me and it really does work in regards to not having to get up during the night, maybe once a night which is a lot less for me. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Only thing that works is prescription
Tamsulosin

Common brands: Flomax

X2 However a possible side effect is allergy symptoms, sneezing coughing, runny nose, etc. I found that taking Tamsulosin every other day was just as effective as taking it every day, and my allergy symptoms were not as severe.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:33 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
X2 However a possible side effect is allergy symptoms, sneezing coughing, runny nose, etc. I found that taking Tamsulosin every other day was just as effective as taking it every day, and my allergy symptoms were not as severe.

Joel
I suggest that with any supplement or drug to first check for the side effects that could occur. Flowmax negatively impacted my sex life in a severe way that no other drug ever has, not too mention I thought I had a never ending cold or allergies as Joel mentioned. These side effects may not be as important to others though... however it (flowmax) did work for what it was prescribed for but the side effects were too much for me compared to the Trunature supplements which works well for my needs and works differently than Flowmax.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I finally went with the Uro-Lift procedure in hopes of dropping the tamsulosin and finasteride. It helped, but so far still on the meds. Some men can ditch the meds after the procedure.

Before any OTC meds, I would consult with your urologist. Doctors know more than any internet doctors.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Flowmax negatively impacted my sex life in a severe way that no other drug ever has, not too mention I thought I had a never ending cold or allergies as Joel mentioned. .

Me too. I didn't notice until the Dr had me go to two a day. Then it was obvious and I now realize that the lesser impact at one a day isn't just getting older. I have almost always allergy symptoms too, but never realized it was due to the Flomax.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #8

Been on both Tamsulosin and Finisteride, have been for years and results are marginal. Still up several times a night. Have tried several of the OTC products with nothing good to report.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:53 AM   #9

At my 2021 annual checkup, I told my doctor that I was having a "low pressure" problem and that I was sometimes having to get up a couple of times at night. He prescribed generic flomax for me to try. Seemed to help at first with flow but didn't help at all with the getting up at night. I developed some slight pain (uti maybe) after a week or two of using so I got off the stuff for a while. Decided to try again about a month later but the same thing happened. Not taking it at all now.

As far as otc, especially the stuff seen on TV, nope,,, not trusting it to do anything except take my money.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:02 AM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
In line with Mudfrog's comment, I tried a lot of supplements for my prostate and none had worked well until I tried the Trunature brand. I would suggest if anyone wanted to try a supplement that I would try that one first. While everyone's system could be different, I know for a fact that what I am using (the Trunature product) works well for me and definitely not a placebo effect as when I don't take my nightly dosage (one in the morning and one in the evening) the problem comes back the first night I skip taking it.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:26 AM   #11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I suggest that with any supplement or drug to first check for the side effects that could occur. Flowmax negatively impacted my sex life in a severe way that no other drug ever has, not too mention I thought I had a never ending cold or allergies as Joel mentioned. These side effects may not be as important to others though... however it (flowmax) did work for what it was prescribed for but the side effects were too much for me compared to the Trunature supplements which works well for my needs and works differently than Flowmax.
I'm not worried about a sex life, since mine is zero (my choice)
Edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:37 AM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward44 View Post
I'm not worried about a sex life, since mine is zero (my choice)
I suspect that may be true for a lot of us here and perhaps will also be true for myself if I live long enough... On the other hand, the other side effects were also very problematic for me. One side effect that I didn't mention earlier was that for me, Flowmax increased my back pain, while I seem to always (often) have a little back pain, the increase in back pain was noticeable and diminished once I quit taking the Flowmax. ~CA
Old 03-07-2022, 11:44 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. ed View Post
Hello, everyone. Just wondering if any of you fellas have used a prostate supplement that actually worked. I’m very skeptical of any OTC medical product pushed in TV ads, and would like to obtain first hand experience from others.

BTW, I do take a daily Vit D supplement, prescribed by my doctor. I’ve also read reviews of Super Beta Prostate, and the responses were mixed, many saying they were pleased, others claiming no effect, even causing a racing heartbeat in one instance.

So, have any of you guys found anything that actually works, such as Super Beta Prostate, or similar? Thanks in advance for your experiences.

Mr. Ed

No snake oil supplements work for anything, at all. A vitamin supplement is not the same thing as these herbal, bat guano, toxic sludge supplements that you see advertised. You're better off licking the bottom of your shoe than swallowing one of those things. Stick with what your doctor prescribes.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Zinc, Selenium, Saw Palmetto, Lycopene and other similar natural ingredients (commonly found in Prostate supplements) are definitely not snake oils. Doctors never (at least never for me) prescribe anything other than pharmaceutical drugs and pharma companies always push their most profitable products to the Doctors who will then prescribe them. That way of doing business is what caused the opioid crisis and led to high dollar lawsuits and bankruptcy of Purdue pharmacy company not too mention the lives ruined, lost and the overwhelming number of addictions this business practice caused. My advice is to only use pharmaceutical drugs only when there are no natural remedies for whatever ails you whenever possible that is.