Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
My German Pinscher, Fancy ( a small dobie ) is spending a week at a potential new owner's home. I will probably be giving her to the new owner as it's the best thing to do for an active dog that lives to run and sunbathe - something she rarely gets to do RV'ing. SO - my sense of security is going with her. No one would bother me with this dog . . she was so intimidating. Now I think that I need to get a tazer, shotgun, something. I carried a .38 until I started RVing - with gun laws so strict about carrying them across state lines, I got rid of it at the Canadian border and now I'm looking at shotguns. I hate shotguns, know nothing about them - except that the few times I used one I got one heck of a bruise on my shoulder. I don't think I'll ever have to shoot it - most people - even criminals - tend to turn and run when looking down the barrel of a gun. But I'd appreciate recommendations on what to get . . . and where to carry it, etc.
Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #2

My German Pinscher, Fancy ( a small dobie ) is spending a week at a potential new owner's home. I will probably be giving her to the new owner as it's the best thing to do for an active dog that lives to run and sunbathe - something she rarely gets to do RV'ing. SO - my sense of security is going with her. No one would bother me with this dog . . she was so intimidating. Now I think that I need to get a tazer, shotgun, something. I carried a .38 until I started RVing - with gun laws so strict about carrying them across state lines, I got rid of it at the Canadian border and now I'm looking at shotguns. I hate shotguns, know nothing about them - except that the few times I used one I got one heck of a bruise on my shoulder. I don't think I'll ever have to shoot it - most people - even criminals - tend to turn and run when looking down the barrel of a gun. But I'd appreciate recommendations on what to get . . . and where to carry it, etc.
Thanks!
Old 09-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #3

I participated in a R.A.D. class this past winter in TN. One of the instructors (police woman) said that you should not use a tazer unless you have been trained in how to use it. She also said (like many other folks have told me) only get a gun if you think you can kill someone with it. My Dad always said to never point a gun at someone unless you intend on killing them and have a place to dump the body. You should not count on someone else to turn and run. You should be the one ready to run. This is what the R.A.D. classes teach along with risk assesment. I know that my 4' 11", 90LB daughter has a great deal more confidence in her ability to defend her self. She learned several "moves" that she can use in spite of her small size. Check it out.

BTW, it is illegal to carry a gun into State Parks.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #4

My recommendation would be a 12 or 20ga slide/pump or semi-auto shotgun with an 18" barrel.

You can fire them from waist level along the side of your body, eliminates shoulder bruising.

The shot will pretty much hit anything in the general direction you have it pointed.

A good choice of cartridge would be one with anywhere from 00 to #2 shot.

During day while driving you could slide it behind your couch if there's room or if not leave it on the couch.

At night when asleep, keep it in your bedroom.

Good luck & safe travels

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Jim. A short barrel shotgun is my choice. Consider the barrel should be at the minimum legal length so as to be manuverable, but not considered a concealed weapon. My view of this is the worst thing that can happen is some low class trash:
1. kills/maims my family
2. kills/maims me
3. the low class trash is killed
The above are listed in order of importance.

I also agree with Lorna. Every family member knows if the gun comes out they are to lay on the floor and cover their ears. If the gun comes out it will be visible and fired within a few seconds. I have completed training courses in situation management and how to maintain and fire the gun. Ammunition is replaced every 5 years. In 30 years of RVing I have never used the weapon. I've only been close once and that was a long time ago. The popularity of cell phones does provide an additional "way out" before the final solution is acted upon.

As for Canada, I think a USA citizen can get a permit to carry a "hunting" weapon into Canada. A shot gun would qualify as a hunting weapon. For Mexico, forget it. You'll be put in jail until forever arrives. FYI, I don't go to Mexico.

On edit, when the G-kids are in the coach, the weapon is unloaded. The ammunition and weapon are kept seperate but handy for me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #6

I subscribe to the G. Gordon Liddy rule of weapons. Don't pull it unless you're going to use it and if you use it, shoot to kill so there's no lawsuit and medical bills. I have NO problem shooting someone. But the best scenario is when someone sees the gun coming out, for THEM to run. Less trouble for everyone. And I wouldn't shoot someone in the back . . . .

The little emblem under my name is USMC - I've had more self defense training and gun safety courses/gun training than most men. But a shotgun has never been my weapon of choice.

I don't stay in state parks as a rule . . . but that disturbs me that I can't have one there. I guess I need to check the rules for staying on military bases as well, as that is where I will spend a lot of my time camping.

I miss my dog.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
GM,

Both Jim and Gary make some good points. My advice for an on board weapon is a quality pump shotgun, 12 gauge with a pistol grip. The pistol grip is not a accurate as a full stock, but in close quarters like an RV, it is a lot easier to control. Odds are you will never need it. But if you do, don't hesitate. After 25 years of working some of the most violent real estate in the country (South Central Los Angeles) I can tell you the biggest problem most gun owners have. They keep their gun hoping that if the situation ever arises, that they can "scare" the criminal away. Bad idea. If it is a passing vagrant, it would work. If it is a career criminal, you just provided them with a gun.

Back to the weapon. If you choose to buy the gun, take is somewhere and put about a 100 rounds through it. Know what it feels like to discharge, and what the result will be. Especially with a pistol grip. Easy to manuver, but it will kick you.

Jims choice of load is good. I would also carry a few slug rounds just in case. Skip load the magazine with 00 buck and slug rounds. If you do wind up confronting a bear in the wilds of Alaska, the slug would be perfect.

You can take a shotgun into Canada, but not for personal protection. Canada allows firearms for protection from wildlife, but not people. The pistol grip shotgun is OK as long as it was manufactured to be that way, and not just sawed off. The minimum barrel length is important to abide by as well. With your background I am very confident that you could handle and fire a shotgun very well if necessary.

I am also confident that you have a good idea of when or when not to fire based on the situation. Your training gives you a big edge on the average civillian. One last word of advice, and this is personal opinion. An unloaded gun is a club. If you carry one and are serious about using it if necessary, then by all means keep it loaded with the safety on. You don't have to keep a round in the chamber, but in the heat of the moment the last thing you want to do is have to remember where the ammo is, and how do I load it.

Just my .02. Do as you wish.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I subscribe to the G. Gordon Liddy rule of weapons. Don't pull it unless you're going to use it and if you use it, shoot to kill so there's no lawsuit and medical bills. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But the reverse of that is also true - just because you pull the weapon does not require you to shoot.
Please remember Gordon Liddy spent a pile of years in prison. He has some interesting ideas, but might be a couple of degrees off top dead center.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You cannot take a weapon onto a Military Base. You may, however; check it with security going in and retrieve it on your way out.

Toad: 2006 Honda CR-V
BRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #10

GM --- my weapon of choice is a Winchester Defender -- it has a 18 1/4" barrel which makes it legal in all states. It is a pump and nothing anounces itself better than a pump shotgun as you rack the slide. I do not keep one in the chamber but, the slide is maintained in an unlocked position so it can be racked very easily and quickly -- one can fire a pump almost as fast as an automatic. The best thing about it is the number of rounds it holds. My first three are as follows 1) rock salt in a low brass shell and yes, it burns when it enters the flesh, 2) #4 low brass followed by 3) followed by double 00 buck -- high brass. No slugs. One reason why I do prefer the shotgun is that if you should have to shoot it inside of a MH, by the time the shot gets outside of the MH (and this is the same for inside of a house, the shot has been deformed enough that it will probably not enter the MH next to you and cause innocent collateral damage (you know what I mean).

Also agree with the above comment about going to the range and shooting some rounds through it. You may find that low brass will suffice for your needs -- I suspect it will and it does not have near the punishment of the high brass loads.

The problem with any pistol is that the bullet will not only go through the walls of your MH but, will easily penetrate the walls of neighboring MHs and there is always the problem of being licensed to carry the pistol. I happen to be licensed to carry concealed but, I don't carry in the MH -- my shotgun rides with me there.

Sorry about jumping on the soapbox on this one.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #11

I agree a shotgun is arguably the best defense weapon. It is legal to transport across state lines, as you'll find here. Yes, you may enter most National and some state parks with it, just follow the rules. Same for military installations, each has their rules to be followed.
U.S. citizens may enter Canada with firearms. Canada does not allow entry with pepper spray canisters, you may however enter with "bear spray" for your defense against said animals, which also works quite well on human animals.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:02 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I'm with Marty and Gary on this one. I keep a short barrel pistol grip 12 ga, skip loaded with a slug first to clear the door and 00 buck coming out next. I do not keep a round in the chamber, just the sound of the slide racking to put the first one in gets a lot of attention. If the 12 is a little heavy you can go to a 20 ga in the same config. Just as Marty says, put a bunch of loads through it so you familiarize yourself with that particular weapon.

As for the legality of it all, a shotgun is good to go anywhere but even if you keep a handgun stashed where only you know its there it might make for greater peace of mind.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:07 AM   #13
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I've carried my S&W 40 Cal onto several military installations and have never been asked by security if I had a weapon in the MH. This includes Nellis AFB, Fallon Naval Air Station, Kirkland AFB, and the White Sands Missile Range to name a few. I have been in many discussions with others on these installations regarding carrying weapons and it seems just about every veteran does without consequence. But I have never hung out a sign stating I have a handgun onboard.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:32 AM   #14

Anything is legal if you don't get caught.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigSkyBob:
I've carried my S&W 40 Cal onto several military installations and have never been asked by security if I had a weapon in the MH. This includes Nellis AFB, Fallon Naval Air Station, Kirkland AFB, and the White Sands Missile Range to name a few. I have been in many discussions with others on these installations regarding carrying weapons and it seems just about every veteran does without consequence. But I have never hung out a sign stating I have a handgun onboard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote