Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2021, 10:00 AM   #729
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
I really, really miss President Reagan.
So do I! He was definitely the best President in my lifetime!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2021, 01:33 AM   #730

Quote:

Both he and his wife were class acts.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #731

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Amen! to both of you.

"You learn something out of everything, and you come to realize more than ever that we're all here for a certain space of time, and, and then it's going to be over, and you better make this count."

~ Nancy Reagan
TexasJeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #732

Texas Jeff . You should watch the YouTube video, Redhead by Caylee Hammack. Hope you like it. https://youtu.be/N2Rv95J92CA
Rixthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #733

Anonymous

If your nose is running and your feet smell, your upside down.
jwfrankesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:19 AM   #734

“We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”
Rixthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:15 PM   #735

At every Christmas party my wife tells me

"Hon its time to go your seeing double and acting single"
RodnReel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:43 PM   #736

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Itís hard to soar with the eagles when you work for turkeys.

I like my job. Itís the work I hate.

Old truckers never die. They just get a new Peterbuilt.
gimblerotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:40 AM   #737

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
"Golf is more fun than walking naked in a strange place, but not much."

~ Buddy Hackett
Old 08-23-2021, 02:42 PM   #738

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonavonP View Post
"Thereís no problem so bad that the government canít complicate it further."

President Ronald Reagan
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
So do I! He was definitely the best President in my lifetime!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Both he and his wife were class acts.
Quote:
Amen! to both of you.
I'd like to share a personal story about the Reagans...

My father moved to California in 1935 and purchased a photo studio in what is now Beverly Hills. He ran it until December of 1941 and put the studio in storage while he was in the Army Air Corps in WW2. After the war he re-opened it in downtown L.A. (cheaper studio rent) and married my mom who he met while in an Army hospital after being shot down. At one point we had 3 full time and several on-call photographers working out of the studio. We sold the studio in 1981.

One event that stands out in my personal memory was one 3-day weekend friday morning in 1965(?), 1966(?) when my mom, dad and I were in the office doing production printing - making a large number of identical 8x10 black-and-white prints for some company's new product announcement - and we were on a deadline. FYI, I was 12 or 13 at the time.

All of a sudden the office doorbell rang. My mom was drying finished prints on an endless belt dryer and you couldn't pause the 300 degrees F (150 C) dryer with prints in it, my dad was exposing and developing prints and you couldn't put the developer process on hold, so I was sent to answer the door.

A gentleman in a nice suit was there with a lady standing next to him. He asked if Mr. Morris was there, and I said something like "Come on in, he's in the darkroom, I'll get him". He and the lady came in, I seated them in the front office, and went to get my dad. He came out of the darkroom, and introduced us to Ronald and Nancy Regan. Mr. Regan commented that they had stopped by to have portrait head-shots taken - he had met my dad at the Press Club several days before (he was the President of the Press club at the time). My mom was very surprised, it turned out that my dad had forgotten about the appointment and hadn't added it to the office calendar.

So I took over running the print dryer, my mom seated the gentleman on a bar stool in front of a stock background and did the makeup. My dad set up the portrait lighting and took the first shot, ducked into the darkroom, quick-developed the negative, made a 8x10 black-and-white wet print and brought it out in a developing tray. Ronald and Nancy liked it, so my dad handed me a stack of 4x5 film holders and told me to take 9 more headshots of any pose they wanted, and to make the last shot a couple shot. Meanwhile he went back to making more deadline prints.

I found out later that one of the photos that I took appeared on the political pages of the Los Angeles Times, the Sacramento Bee, the San Jose Mercury News, the Chicago Tribune, the New York Times, and about 40-45 other major newspapers across the country along with Mr. Regan's announcement that he was running for Governor of California.

The Reagans were regulars in the studio during his campaign and after he was elected. After he was sworn in as Governor he wanted to use my dad for the official state photo, but the photo group in the capitol building in Sacramento won that fight. He also used my dad for photos during his run for a second term as Governor and his 1980-1981 run for President. By 1982 my dad's cigarette smoking had caught up with him and he was forced to retire when he couldn't walk 150 feet without stopping to catch his breath. We sold the studio in 1981 but he continued to do occasional work for selected clients. The Regans were one.

Mr. Regan was President when my dad passed away in 1984 and my mom received a nice condolence letter from him. The note was not a typewritten one by an anonymous clerk with a rubber-stamp signature, but one fully handwritten by him on his White House letterhead, with a handwritten note from Nancy written below his. In that note Mr. Regan commented that my dad "was a good friend and one helluva photographer". Yes, Mr. Regan used the word "helluva".

Ignoring any politics, both of my parents were of the opinion that Mr. Regan was a real gentleman and Mrs. Regan was a real lady. My opinion is the same, but I only have that one incident to make that judgement as I was a teenager at the time and a full-time student... my studio hours were weekend-only.

My mom ran the business side of the studio and as such had the most business interaction with the Regans. She commented that he was more honest than most politicians that the studio did business with... Mr. Regan's business and personal mail, like that condolence letter, was stamped, not franked like every other politician... Back in the 1780s or 1790s the politicians voted themselves free postage, called "Franking") for "official" mail.

As I said above, my folks sold the studio in 1981, my dad passed in early '84, and my mom passed 8 months later. It's now 40 years later and the studio building is still there, but it's now a korean mini-mart in what is now a really seedy neighborhood. The next-door bar and grille - then called Peacock Alley (because of the stained glass windows showing peacocks in full display) is gone, it's now a korean mini-restaurant. The stained glass windows (of the quality you'd see in a 1930s-1950s catholic church) are gone... it was replaced by clear glass after an arson fire that totaled the place in the late 1990s.

Times change, the world moves on, and you can't go back. The studio photo collection (my dad was at least the 3rd, possibly the 4th owner of the studio) filled 27 five-drawer file cabinets and my mom donated it to the Los Angeles central library historical collection. They stopped counting at 40,000 images... some were traced as far back 1870.

RIP Ralph and Margaret Morris 1984
RIP Ronald Reagan 2004.
RIP Nancy Reagan 2016.

Mike Morris
Old 08-23-2021, 04:16 PM   #739
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
I'd like to share a personal story about the Reagans...

My father moved to California in 1935 and purchased a photo studio in what is now Beverly Hills. He ran it until December of 1941 and put the studio in storage while he was in the Army Air Corps in WW2. After the war he re-opened it in downtown L.A. (cheaper studio rent) and married my mom who he met while in an Army hospital after being shot down. At one point we had 3 full time and several on-call photographers working out of the studio. We sold the studio in 1981.

One event that stands out in my personal memory was one 3-day weekend friday morning in 1965(?), 1966(?) when my mom, dad and I were in the office doing production printing - making a large number of identical 8x10 black-and-white prints for some company's new product announcement - and we were on a deadline. FYI, I was 12 or 13 at the time.

All of a sudden the office doorbell rang. My mom was drying finished prints on an endless belt dryer and you couldn't pause the 300 degrees F (150 C) dryer with prints in it, my dad was exposing and developing prints and you couldn't put the developer process on hold, so I was sent to answer the door.

A gentleman in a nice suit was there with a lady standing next to him. He asked if Mr. Morris was there, and I said something like "Come on in, he's in the darkroom, I'll get him". He and the lady came in, I seated them in the front office, and went to get my dad. He came out of the darkroom, and introduced us to Ronald and Nancy Regan. Mr. Regan commented that they had stopped by to have portrait head-shots taken - he had met my dad at the Press Club several days before (he was the President of the Press club at the time). My mom was very surprised, it turned out that my dad had forgotten about the appointment and hadn't added it to the office calendar.

So I took over running the print dryer, my mom seated the gentleman on a bar stool in front of a stock background and did the makeup. My dad set up the portrait lighting and took the first shot, ducked into the darkroom, quick-developed the negative, made a 8x10 black-and-white wet print and brought it out in a developing tray. Ronald and Nancy liked it, so my dad handed me a stack of 4x5 film holders and told me to take 9 more headshots of any pose they wanted, and to make the last shot a couple shot. Meanwhile he went back to making more deadline prints.

I found out later that one of the photos that I took appeared on the political pages of the Los Angeles Times, the Sacramento Bee, the San Jose Mercury News, the Chicago Tribune, the New York Times, and about 40-45 other major newspapers across the country along with Mr. Regan's announcement that he was running for Governor of California.

The Reagans were regulars in the studio during his campaign and after he was elected. After he was sworn in as Governor he wanted to use my dad for the official state photo, but the photo group in the capitol building in Sacramento won that fight. He also used my dad for photos during his run for a second term as Governor and his 1980-1981 run for President. By 1982 my dad's cigarette smoking had caught up with him and he was forced to retire when he couldn't walk 150 feet without stopping to catch his breath. We sold the studio in 1981 but he continued to do occasional work for selected clients. The Regans were one.

Mr. Regan was President when my dad passed away in 1984 and my mom received a nice condolence letter from him. The note was not a typewritten one by an anonymous clerk with a rubber-stamp signature, but one fully handwritten by him on his White House letterhead, with a handwritten note from Nancy written below his. In that note Mr. Regan commented that my dad "was a good friend and one helluva photographer". Yes, Mr. Regan used the word "helluva".

Ignoring any politics, both of my parents were of the opinion that Mr. Regan was a real gentleman and Mrs. Regan was a real lady. My opinion is the same, but I only have that one incident to make that judgement as I was a teenager at the time and a full-time student... my studio hours were weekend-only.

My mom ran the business side of the studio and as such had the most business interaction with the Regans. She commented that he was more honest than most politicians that the studio did business with... Mr. Regan's business and personal mail, like that condolence letter, was stamped, not franked like every other politician... Back in the 1780s or 1790s the politicians voted themselves free postage, called "Franking") for "official" mail.

As I said above, my folks sold the studio in 1981, my dad passed in early '84, and my mom passed 8 months later. It's now 40 years later and the studio building is still there, but it's now a korean mini-mart in what is now a really seedy neighborhood. The next-door bar and grille - then called Peacock Alley (because of the stained glass windows showing peacocks in full display) is gone, it's now a korean mini-restaurant. The stained glass windows (of the quality you'd see in a 1930s-1950s catholic church) are gone... it was replaced by clear glass after an arson fire that totaled the place in the late 1990s.

Times change, the world moves on, and you can't go back. The studio photo collection (my dad was at least the 3rd, possibly the 4th owner of the studio) filled 27 five-drawer file cabinets and my mom donated it to the Los Angeles central library historical collection. They stopped counting at 40,000 images... some were traced as far back 1870.

RIP Ralph and Margaret Morris 1984
RIP Ronald Reagan 2004.
RIP Nancy Reagan 2016.

Mike Morris
WOW! Thanks for sharing that Mike! Ronald Reagan was my all-time favorite President and Nancy was a class act too!
Old 08-24-2021, 12:37 AM   #740

Nice story, Mike Morris.

A good friend was a major sound engineer in the Southern California music recording world. He also did a lot of voice and interview recordings. After Reagan left the White House my friend was chosen to spend two days recording him. Now 'Mike' had met a LOT of VERY famous people. He was not easily impressed. When he was ushered into the President's office in Century City by the Secret Service men, after a thorough background check of course, he was fully prepared to be unimpressed by a politician. At the time 'Mike' was young and, how to say it, considerably more liberal than the President. There were about 3 or 4 other people in the recording group. Everyone was introduced in turn with 'Mike' being last. After all, he was just a technician, right? The President shook his hand and asked him what he liked to do when he wasn't making people sound better than they might otherwise be. 'Mike' said that he enjoyed rock climbing. Something about this pricked the President's interest and he dragged 'Mike' over to a couch away from the others and started grilling him about rock climbing! This went on for so long that very pointed coughing began to be heard from the recording big shots! 'Mike' said the President was the warmest and most charismatic human being he had ever met! He's also one of his greatest admirers now, too!
Old 08-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #741

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Awesomely wonderful stories. I was just a kid barely able to vote and I recognized President Reagan as truly a great leader. I still wear my old Reagan/Bush tee shirt that gets many a comment.

"You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jelly beans."
~ Ronald Reagan
Old 08-24-2021, 02:43 PM   #742
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
A chip on the shoulder usually means there's wood higher up!