Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #17151
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Be more specific. Did you go with someone to see somebody and buy something?
HEY, you could meet them and get that here!

I live in Somewhere!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #17152

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
What more do you need than one set of everything? Plates, utensils, pans, etc. We moved about 5 times in 30 years. Many times we were just moving stuff packed in boxes from the last time we moved. Some stuff was moved 3 or 4 times without being opened. So many people insist on having special China and Dinnerware they use maybe once a year. Crystal, clothing, tools, collections of Memorabilia, hobby supplies. Most of this stuff is never worn or used, but everyone gets so attached with memories or emotions. If we ever have to stop fulltiming, we will live the same way. Get a small apartment, just keep one set of the things we use.
Its like being 400 lbs, losing 225lbs, and not wanting to gain all that weight back.
I know, as I have repacked the boxes, I have wondered why I kept this or that, and it goes on the donate pile. But some decisions are harder than others. We have lived here for 27 years. So no interim forced purging. Grand kids, grew up here, even one son, and it is hard to sort it all.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:15 AM   #17153

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
I'm planning on going to Someplace soon! Maybe we can all meet up at Someplace?
But for today there is so much more packing and trips to the donate place to do. I wonder how all of the fulltimers managed to clear out their S&B? We are just moving to a new S&B and the sorting and packing is never-ending. Purging is a good feeling, as the weight gets lighter with each trip to Goodwill. We have found that Goodwill takes most of our donations, where the DAV guys go through it all, and tell us this dresser is too big, or that is out of season, and leave us to take it to the Goodwill. And I know they bulk sell the stuff so what is the big deal?
It is all a power exercise, they tell you 'no' because they can and it gives them a feeling of control which they are missing in their lives. So we just drive an extra 1/2 mile and are done with it.
How do the full timers manage with such restrictions on space?

Judy, you are not alone in that frustration. After reading an article detailing the administrative waste going on with those national organizations, we decided to phone around trying to locate local charities. Easier said than done. I can't blame charitable organizations for turning down pure trash, but like you, we did not attempt to shove trash on them. Our offerings were very usable appliances, furniture, electronics, clothing, kitchenware, etc.

We did locate a person with the Kidney Foundation who had a few contacts that needed furnishings for homes that were recently refurbished. Sort of a low-key Habitat for Humanity type thing. Anyway some people arrived with cars, beaten up trucks, and rusted out vans. They managed to haul away the household stuff, leaving us with two large freezers. Both worked great, but were old. I enlisted some muscle help to get them out to a visible location near the end of the driveway. Put a "For Sale" sign and price on both. Two days later, they had disappeared along with a large aluminum extension ladder that I had chained and locked to the rear of my workshop. I'd planned to give that to a relative, but it's gone now. "Suburban Pickers" apparently operate in the dark.

Now we are sitting here in a nearly empty house that is still not sold. That's a VERY long story. We are on the verge of buying new furniture and just using this place as a base of traveling operations. Let our heirs worry about selling the place.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #17154

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelarry View Post
Well, things are going to be quiet on this forum for a while. Today, Diane & I will be going to pick up HER new puppy. So, she will be busy taking care of QTPi [Cutie Pie] and training her.
I also believe Wayne is packing up and getting everything ready for his journey to & along the East Coast.
Bottom line, one might be able to follow this THREAD without those two bantering each other.......Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh......life is good.

LAUGH OUT LOUD....... and THIS is my darling husband.....
Who btw has his 63rd birthday on Monday.....
SMILE, so if you have nothing to do, come by, I'll have cake and homemade ice cream, OR, send him your best birthday song, OR old man joke.....

Diane is the original SFM........... ( Sliding Finger Mutant, #64) and is retired, duh!
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:32 AM   #17155

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
HEY, you could meet them and get that here!

I live in Somewhere!

My GPS is capable of getting me there. Just yesterday I used it to "Go Home" from the diesel repair shop. Not that I really needed guidance, but I thought it would be nice for "lane assist" when I came to the interstate. After hearing the voice recalculate a blue million times, I wondered whose "home" it was trying to aim me toward. Finally shut it down and enjoyed the quiet. Wife was diving in the car behind so it was REALLY quiet. 👍
Old 06-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #17156

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh Diane, you reminded me of when we brought tiny little Sadie home and brought Molly outside to greet her. Molly sniffed the baby, and walked away and gave us such a disgusted "now why did you bring THAT here?" look. She would NOT even acknowledge THAT, for days. We had to keep them separate during the working hours we were gone, just for peace of mind. But soon they started playing, and now of course, when separate due to grooms or vets, they go into mourning, for the other. Best Buddies! And a joy for our lives.
I am so happy for you, to be getting the new baby today! You are in for such FUN!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #17157

Quote:
What more do you need than one set of everything? Plates, utensils, pans, etc. ....

Of course good advice for keeping it simple for RVing, but do you full-timers manage to stay with that philosophy? Personally I'd be content to use paper plates and high strength plastic forks, spoons, and knives. But ... convincing the wife is a problem. So in our attempt to be fake full-timers, I'm still opening up the utensil drawer to witness a full assortment of silverware choices. I hate choices like that. So what if my knife handle style does not match the spoon handle style, but I get admonished for such errors.

The dishes are the same way ... different colors and styles for (apparently) different moods. Did you know that crock pots come in three sizes and three colors? I have pics !! Taken of a pantry that I intended to hold all necessary pots, pans, etc. Now it is only large enough for crock pot "collection".

Beautiful wife needs a pill for "obsessive compulsive" kitchen organization.

I need a nap .........
Old 06-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #17158

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Judy, you are not alone in that frustration. After reading an article detailing the administrative waste going on with those national organizations, we decided to phone around trying to locate local charities. Easier said than done. I can't blame charitable organizations for turning down pure trash, but like you, we did not attempt to shove trash on them. Our offerings were very usable appliances, furniture, electronics, clothing, kitchenware, etc.

We did locate a person with the Kidney Foundation who had a few contacts that needed furnishings for homes that were recently refurbished. Sort of a low-key Habitat for Humanity type thing. Anyway some people arrived with cars, beaten up trucks, and rusted out vans. They managed to haul away the household stuff, leaving us with two large freezers. Both worked great, but were old. I enlisted some muscle help to get them out to a visible location near the end of the driveway. Put a "For Sale" sign and price on both. Two days later, they had disappeared along with a large aluminum extension ladder that I had chained and locked to the rear of my workshop. I'd planned to give that to a relative, but it's gone now. "Suburban Pickers" apparently operate in the dark.

Now we are sitting here in a nearly empty house that is still not sold. That's a VERY long story. We are on the verge of buying new furniture and just using this place as a base of traveling operations. Let our heirs worry about selling the place.
We filled the gutter in front with trash for the city to bulk pick up, and it was a daily chore to re-pile it all after the salvage pickers went through each night. Just had 3 days to stack it, so fortunately it was over fairly quickly.

But generally if we put good stuff out at the curb with a FREE! sign it goes away overnight. Rarely during daylight hours. Dunno why.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #17159
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I started typing this about an hour and a half ago, but had to go out and supervise/help in a palm tree trimming. HERE I AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Congrats, looks good, your so blessed, really miss you, nice look!

Ok that should cover everything that I didn't read about in the past 20 hours.

Just to cheer everyone up and take this thread to the toilet, our toilet ball valve has broken and in the open position! Guess we are lucky our ---- don't stink! ( Come on, you know I'm talking about the black tank).

Bedroom slide-not fixed yet!
Awning-not fixed yet!
Toilet valve-not fixed, and that's really a problem!

So you think your day was bad!

Goodnight David, Goodnight Chet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Attention, next Grand Curiosity will be SOMEPLACE not to be confused with Somewhere!

Been up doing a little reading this morning and can now say I know entirely too much about a RV toilet, ball valve, leaking seal, removal and matters I choose not to share here.

So that's how my day is starting, hope yours is better!
Well, I think there is some fibbing in your statement, but I'll leave the not stinking part slide. However, and I know that you are working on it, I would like to mention a temporary stink stopper for any future mutant's use, even in a valve that will not close all the way.

Think out of the box ( or toilet bowl). Get a large zip lock bag. Fill with water. Insert into toilet and block the hole.

Quote:
I'll add a post to the dark of the night. Long day of securing the release of the bus from the diesel hospital. Methinks we may have started a fund for a new wing of the "hospital".

Many quirky little events took place during the recuperation of the big bus. Now it is sporting a new heart, and more. Coming home, I decided to avoid the nastiest part of the outerbelt. Whizzed through a couple of sleepy towns to give the Jake brakes a test. Sound is excellent !

Now that the bus is lounging in its home parking lot, our cat is frantic to get out there. He's been watching out the patio windows at the empty lot for over two months. We are not moving him out there until we clean the interior. Diesel mechanics were not kind to the interior. Greasy fingerprints, and boot tracks everywhere. I even have some cherry cabinet repair to do where they gouged things while manhandling the rear engine access cover. Wife went into orbit when she saw greasy footprints on her custom quilted bedspread.

I have no complaints about the engine and transmission replacement though. They did a super job. By the way, it ran like a scalded dog when released on the last leg of the journey home. Wife was following in the car, or at least trying to follow. She rang my cell phone, but I didn't answer. I figured she was going to yell at me for speeding.

After we get the rig spiffed up, we will pack it with "stuff" for a long summer trip ... to ... someplace.
I get a chuckle on "how" you write things up. Thanks. Yep, a motorhome is like a boat but the only difference is the MH is a hole in the road that you keep trying to fill with money.

Quote:
I'm planning on going to Someplace soon! Maybe we can all meet up at Someplace?
But for today there is so much more packing and trips to the donate place to do. I wonder how all of the fulltimers managed to clear out their S&B? We are just moving to a new S&B and the sorting and packing is never-ending. Purging is a good feeling, as the weight gets lighter with each trip to Goodwill. We have found that Goodwill takes most of our donations, where the DAV guys go through it all, and tell us this dresser is too big, or that is out of season, and leave us to take it to the Goodwill. And I know they bulk sell the stuff so what is the big deal?
It is all a power exercise, they tell you 'no' because they can and it gives them a feeling of control which they are missing in their lives. So we just drive an extra 1/2 mile and are done with it.
How do the full timers manage with such restrictions on space?
New words to the song: "Someplace Over The Rainbow, Way Up High..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelarry View Post
Well, things are going to be quiet on this forum for a while. Today, Diane & I will be going to pick up HER new puppy. So, she will be busy taking care of QTPi [Cutie Pie] and training her.
I also believe Wayne is packing up and getting everything ready for his journey to & along the East Coast.
Bottom line, one might be able to follow this THREAD without those two bantering each other.......Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh......life is good.
Nah! First couple days is sitting around thinking of the planning, but maybe on Monday we'll get the MH from storage and be ready to leave on Thursday or Friday. I wish I knew which way we was going.

Quote:
Help!!! When posting my last entry, as I hit the submit button, my laptop went spooky. The size of the screen went giant, then so small it is only about 2 inches across on the middle of my screen, by maybe 4 inches. I have to stretch it to read it. And it is consistent on every web page I go to. What happened? How can I fix this? Waaaaa.
Judy, sometimes (same as someplace, somewhere) our fingers slide where we don't want them to. Just ask Diane. So, most browsers will increase and decrease the page size with a combination of strokes. Once a page is diminished the software takes over and remembers what the size is. Every time you open a page it will revert to the last size known.

That said, have you tried expanding the page by clicking on the "+" green button on the browser tool bar. OR, when on the page, hold the CTRL button down and hit the + sign (windows system) and see if the page expands. On a MAC it is the Command and + sign.

If that doesn't work, holler, let me know what system you are on and what browser and I'll do some research - OR some other STM will have an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
One pill makes you smaller and one pill makes you.... Go ask Alice. When she's 10 feet tall....

In other words - Control - Alt - Delete...
And - Good Luck!
wouldn't life be so simple if we could "Control - Alt - Delete..." for some life situations.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #17160

This is a preliminary listing of waterside campgrounds offered up recently by fellow mutants. Not much detail but I assume they would be "findable" if you get close to that area. Also, there's a short list of areas with a real nice view.

Sandpiper RV, Galveston Island; Pacifica, CA; Tom Sawyer's RV Park, West Memphis; COE, west of Montgomery, AL; Pacific Shores RV Resort, Newport, Oregon; Camp Gulf, Miramar Beach, FL.

Whale watching tour on the Ada C Gore in Eastport, ME; Sault locks, Sault Saint Marie, MI or ON, Newport, RI, State Road 56 out of Madison, IN going east along the Ohio River, US 52 from Cincinnati, OH to South Point, OH then follow State Road 7 to Gallipolis, OH, wander from there to your heart's content.

Now we need more waterside CGs and beauteous waterside roads. Your turn
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #17161
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I found the fix. Thanks Steve, but I had to go to the Zoom and put it on 100%. It was on 20%. Dunno how that happened from hitting submit reply. Weird pills. And I live in Colorado.
Oh well, keep my info for any futher mishaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
LAUGH OUT LOUD....... and THIS is my darling husband.....
Who btw has his 63rd birthday on Monday.....
SMILE, so if you have nothing to do, come by, I'll have cake and homemade ice cream, OR, send him your best birthday song, OR old man joke.....

Diane is the original SFM........... ( Sliding Finger Mutant, #64) and is retired, duh!
He's just a kid! Wow! BD Check is in the mail.

Quote:
We filled the gutter in front with trash for the city to bulk pick up, and it was a daily chore to re-pile it all after the salvage pickers went through each night. Just had 3 days to stack it, so fortunately it was over fairly quickly.

But generally if we put good stuff out at the curb with a FREE! sign it goes away overnight. Rarely during daylight hours. Dunno why.
We stopped giving to GW and some other's that were picky. We now give to Salvation Army. They take everything around these parts of the woods.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #17162

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Its like being 400 lbs, losing 225lbs, and not wanting to gain all that weight back.
I resemble that remark. You are so correct Dave. Another thing about RV's is the limited wall space. There aren't all those expanses of nothing just begging for something to cover up with anything. Living FT in a small RV I choose function over fashion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #17163

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I resemble that remark. You are so correct Dave. Another thing about RV's is the limited wall space. There aren't all those expanses of nothing just begging for something to cover up with anything. Living FT in a small RV I choose function over fashion.
Hopefully you never ever find yourself redundant. That could get really tricky.

Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #17164

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Hopefully you never ever find yourself redundant. That could get really tricky.

Nah, I'm a bunch smarter now and my plumbing has been fixed permanently so that can't happen. I like this me much better. And the new knees are letting me be much more active.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote