Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #1877

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Well there have been so many offering up congradulations, but I offer more! Congrats on the position and I'll do my best to keep your job easy, you see &$;% #%*€ and go %>£¥¥£~#% with <€*={]% and you know that the $£%#?&???? So there you have it. Heck I did such a good job cleaning up this post that they may want me as a moderator! Oh the mutant life.
Wow, there are characters in there that aren't even on my keyboard
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #1878

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think we mutants sensed that Bruce was a moderator in waiting. That's why we have such a good record of keeping our ponders and post above reproach. We are an intuitive curiosity of mutants with high standards and soaring ponders. I really appreciate all mutants for making this a comfortable thread to share our experiences - ponders - and RV insights and journeys.

Let's keep it clean so Bruce will be proud of us and spend his energies in the world outside the RVMdom. If there is one thing we mutants know, it's that things change and we adapt. In the next leg of his journey, Bruce may well be back among us as a Senior Member / Former Moderator. Let's hope if that day comes - iRV2 will give a bigger and better parachute than IBM.

As far as I'm concerned - we still have him and DW so no need to miss them.
RVM2
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #1879

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson
Wow, there are characters in there that aren't even on my keyboard
Sparky says Cheers Bruce.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3881402254.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	589.2 KB
ID:	42449
RVM2
Steve and Annie
Old 07-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #1880

Rumble seats and rambling thoughts

Who reading this has first-hand recollections of rumble seats? No, not just knowing that they were at one time a fashion statement for car owners, but actual riding experience. Huh? Fess up fellow codgers. The experience was, as expected, limited to fair weather days. But hey, so is convertible cruising. I loved riding in that unsafe but very public location. By the time I was old enough to drive the car, the poor thing had rusted down to ground level.

This flashback of pondering was ignited by a feature clip on Yahoo this morning. Failed vehicle design ideas. If it was such a flop, why are antique cars with rumble seats selling for mega-dollars? By the way, I did not see the Edsel pictured among the flops. Are the old Edsels not selling well these days? Have any been spotted behind motorcoaches in tow?

Sure wish I had kept my little red '62 Corvair. What a sweet toad it could have been. In my dream "shoulda kept it" car storage barn would also be the multi-purpose '62 Ford Econoline van. Writing about the usefulness of that ride would require a lot of time. Somewhere on this planet there is a lady that remembers how easy it is to drive that old Ford van into a golf course sand trap at 2:00 AM. First time I realized that golf course sprinkler systems are set to come on late at night. The windshield wipers didn't work. Aside from that, the old van would make a fantastic towed vehicle.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #1881

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never had the pleasure of the rumble seat ride. My dad had a 30 Ford Panel Delivery hot rod. Went to many shows. Saw many rumble seats. They had a great look about them.

Ah the Corvair. What a great looking car. A friend of mine has two for restoration. He is moving slowly. But in the end, they will be like new. Thanks for nuthin Ralph Nader.
RVM2
Old 07-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
... Thanks for nuthin Ralph Nader.
RVM2
Didn't make sense that old Ralphie ignored rear engine VW beetles. Rear engine Porsches. But he did make a few bucks selling his book. My then girlfriend's mom bought "Unsafe at Any Speed" and gave it to me. I don't think "mom" liked me.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #1883

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover

Didn't make sense that old Ralphie ignored rear engine VW beetles. Rear engine Porsches. But he did make a few bucks selling his book. My then girlfriend's mom bought "Unsafe at Any Speed" and gave it to me. I don't think "mom" liked me.
The Corvair of the book?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #1884

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

The Corvair of the book?
Nope, bought the Corvair myself. The GF's mom was sort of a snob society babe, and would rather her daughter not hang around me. She went into a tizzy fit when she found out that I worked in a bar to pay my way through college.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #1885

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Rumble seats and rambling thoughts

Who reading this has first-hand recollections of rumble seats? No, not just knowing that they were at one time a fashion statement for car owners, but actual riding experience. Huh? Fess up fellow codgers. The experience was, as expected, limited to fair weather days. But hey, so is convertible cruising. I loved riding in that unsafe but very public location. By the time I was old enough to drive the car, the poor thing had rusted down to ground level.

This flashback of pondering was ignited by a feature clip on Yahoo this morning. Failed vehicle design ideas. If it was such a flop, why are antique cars with rumble seats selling for mega-dollars? By the way, I did not see the Edsel pictured among the flops. Are the old Edsels not selling well these days? Have any been spotted behind motorcoaches in tow?

Sure wish I had kept my little red '62 Corvair. What a sweet toad it could have been. In my dream "shoulda kept it" car storage barn would also be the multi-purpose '62 Ford Econoline van. Writing about the usefulness of that ride would require a lot of time. Somewhere on this planet there is a lady that remembers how easy it is to drive that old Ford van into a golf course sand trap at 2:00 AM. First time I realized that golf course sprinkler systems are set to come on late at night. The windshield wipers didn't work. Aside from that, the old van would make a fantastic towed vehicle.
OMG!! The Corvair Spyder was my dream car in high school. My friend had one and we were too cool! As for the Ford Econoline van I can't tell you how many miles I logged behind the wheel of my dads van. That thing was practically invincible! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
RVM31
Old 07-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #1886

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Just pondered this old car thing some more. My parents had a Chevy II two door sport coupe w/ stick shift on the column. The **** linkage use to hang up and I had to jump out, raise the hood and pull the linkage loose so we could continue on our way. What part of that was the "good ole days?"
Old 07-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #1887

Neighbor kid had a paper route I helped him with. His dad had a Corvair. One afternoon when thunder clouds were approaching, said dad removed front deck lid. You guess the rest.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #1888

I know the feeling ... I could wax nostalgic over my long-gone Corvair for hours. The driving fun had nothing to do with speed, but rather the feel, and the sound of that rumbling little engine. To me, an engine HAS to be heard !! Maybe that's why I tenaciously hang onto my old Detroit 8V92T. It sings the right tune.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #1889

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbnBarb View Post
Just pondered this old car thing some more. My parents had a Chevy II two door sport coupe w/ stick shift on the column. The **** linkage use to hang up and I had to jump out, raise the hood and pull the linkage loose so we could continue on our way. What part of that was the "good ole days?"
Oh yeah!
51 Chevy pickup, 78 Blazer. 3 on the tree. The older they got the more often you had to stop to loosen the tree. Just a part of driving them.
Then there was my 60 Plymouth Fury, 392 hemi, glass pacs, flame red, HUGE fins. RRRRAAWWWRRR!!!

I could tell about many more of them....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #1890
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
These are some pictures of my FIL's 55' Mercury Monterey. He did a frame off full restoration. Show room condition! I love this thing.

Name:	image-842529170.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	532.2 KB
ID:	42545

Name:	image-1555094767.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	522.4 KB
ID:	42546

Name:	image-754271120.jpg