Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #2633

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
RVM10 here. I'm back! We have been just to darn busy to do much mutaten'. I put new chrome axle tip covers and new chrome lug nuts on the wheels. Boy, does the ol' 5er ever slide down the road better. I had to have them, I needed them. I wanted them. Wife is still laughing. But I did off-load a bunch of other stuff we have not used in years.
Now that sounds Shiny!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #2634

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Thanks Judy they already have authorized all but my $250 deductible. Maybe not spinning was an exaggeration on his part. Basically he indicated intake and exhaust functions and only half working. More to come - but no more money from me and new turbo regardless. 243 out of calibration codes certainly meant something. Maybe he was wrong in his first assessment - and VGT was not sold separately. I will get a better understanding of it when I pick her up. I am no expert for sure - maybe he dumbed down his explanation. Somehow he sold it to those who "never cover anything", at least that's what I read somewhere!

On Edit - also occurs to me that not spinning may have been short hand for not spinning properly and the VGT keeps coding trying to make it spin properly - and computer is adjusting air intake and exhaust is sufficient not to derate or show signs. Thanks again.
Hey Steve!

Not being a mechanic by nature I figure if they fixed it and your bank account was cleaned out or a 2nd mortgage necessary, then

Some times you have to roll with the flow and trust someone...that's what intuition is for.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #2635

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyduck

Hey Steve!

Not being a mechanic by nature I figure if they fixed it and your bank account was cleaned out or a 2nd mortgage necessary, then

Some times you have to roll with the flow and trust someone...that's what intuition is for.
I hope ya meant "not cleaned out" - and the $250 deductible was the money I had set aside for first few round of adult beverages at RVM Curiosity 2014. All is not lost. I'll make it up somewhere!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #2636

Quote:
I hope ya meant "not cleaned out" - and the $250 deductible was the money I had set aside for first few round of adult beverages at RVM Curiosity 2014. All is not lost. I'll make it up somewhere!
Yep, not was supposed to be in there....Oops!

Well stick a straw in a box of wine and call it an adult beverage!

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #2637

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyduck

Yep, not was supposed to be in there....Oops!

Well stick a straw in a box of wine and call it an adult beverage!
LOL! I have pondered the turbo quite a bit and may be able to build one someday. But for now - my gut tells me I have come out of this in one piece. Who knows - I may not have missed power I didn't know I should have. And I had codes I didn't need and will not miss. So what the hey. When I put my foot in it tomorrow - I will brace myself for mutant power boost.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #2638

It sound like you have one of these. They spin up to 100,000-120,000 rpm and are balanced to within a nat's wing.

Variable-geometry turbocharger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #2639

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
It sound like you have one of these. They spin up to 100,000-120,000 rpm and are balanced to within a nat's wing.

Variable-geometry turbocharger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hey Mike - Thanks! That is exactly what it is!
Old 08-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #2640

Quote:

Hey Mike - Thanks! That is exactly what it is!
Let us know if you have noticeably improved acceleration after the turbo " fix". Talked with my diesel mechanic again today. He said you have an electronically controlled fuel flow that will attempt to keep the engine from billowing black smoke if there is a problem with the turbo. HOWEVER, you should have been experiencing horrible sluggishness when accelerating. That's why he is wondering about why you were not aware of a problem before your mechanic pronounced a failing turbo.

My guy gave me a tour of the engine rebuild shop today. He pointed to a long row of tables where all moving parts of a DD 8V92 were spread out. Anyone who can reassemble something that resembles a Diesel engine from that stuff has to be a wizard !! I was also impressed with the dyno testing they were doing on a newly rebuilt engine.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #2641

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve, don't worry about a thing, I'm sure you can now be able to accelerate from 0-60 in less than 10 seconds with that new Turbo! You should give it a break in period, but I would like to race you once I get out to Texas!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #2642

We Landed in Camp Verde

Greetings Mutants !!!,

Well we finally made it to Camp Verde, and we have already decided we will be here at least a month if not two, time to recoup, and relax and repair. The arm ends for my tow bar arrived and after I did the repairs, well everything was as it should have been, and my trusty Jeep followed me exactly as it was supposed to.

The radiator overflow tank, although repaired (kind of) has once more began leaking in earnest, so I will be ordering one from Beaver Customer Service the first of the month, its a bit pricey but has a lifetime warranty and a sight glass so you know how much is in it for sure, thankfully it can be shipped right to where I am and I wont have to go chasin all over the camp to find it.

So Monday we will begin in earnest to begin seeing the sights and landmarks of the Sedona area of AZ, oh yeah and the crater I have to see that so I can ponder the size of the actual projectile that created such a divot in the landscape, I still need to find out where I can find some free lance Jeep trails, and Dave I'll be checking out the places you told me to as well. Jerome is on the agenda, and probably the Verde Vally rail ride as well, and I'm quite sure we will have to be checking out some of the taste tests at the wineries. I hope we will have enough time and enough energy to get it all done.

Suspinz >>>> do you make leather arm covers and back covers for recliners, I have this Idea that I would like to have come to reality, some good ole cowhide covers for my recliner to protect it, basically from me, let me know ok.

Till my next installment, all of you take care and remember to the dirty side down.

Now where did I put that beverage ?

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #2643

Looks to me that a variable-geometry turbocharger (VGT) is just not as efficient at low and high rpms. Not that it won't make boost at all. Experts ?

Old 08-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #2644

Hey Dunner,

I dont know much about (VGT) but I know my 425 Cat has a turbo charger and that it runs incredibly well,as long as I do what a responsible caretaker should, give it love and attention, oil, fuel, and cleanings and such. I am learning more and more about diesels all the time, it is amazing the information that is available, the trick is trying to find out what is right and what is wrong.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #2645

Jeep, check out Montezuma's Well and Montezuma's Castle. As a kid, before it was off limits, I was up climbing in the castle.

There are gobs of trails around the crater, and the last time I was there, they were free. If you go in the main entrance, just tell them you are going to play in the cinders. Had my 33' 5er in there.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #2646

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OH-OH... Love and attention? I'm in trouble, I thought all I had to do was change the fluids and filters once a year, and use Red Max Pro:-)
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote